Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Magic & Larry in the current league; what position and how good?

Bird would play as a PF (he said so himself in interview), and dominate even more than he did in 80's due to soft rules.

Magic would obviously play PG. Offensively he would be just as good as he was, on D he would be lacking, but it was the same issue before.

Who would be the best: Bird was better than Magic in the Golden age, till his back injury. I dont see it changing now. Bird perennial MVP, while Magic would have to fight with Lebron/Durant/AD, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Magic - Best PG in the game.

Bird - Best SF in the game.
    Can't be the best if you can't play defense.

Larry tried and was semi-effective.

Earvin tried at an early age and coaches realized he was horrible at it. That's why he was assigned to players like today's Dellavedova or Mike Miller

High School Varsity 6th Man

Larry not quick enough or athletic enough for todays sf, serious and I have him top 5 all time. He would be a pf.

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    Can't be the best if you can't play defense.

Larry tried and was semi-effective.

Earvin tried at an early age and coaches realized he was horrible at it. That's why he was assigned to players like today's Dellavedova or Mike Miller
    I agree with this. That's why the posters saying peak Bird and Magic would automatically be the best players in today's NBA are underrating peak LeBron. Dude was a beast on both sides of the ball. Could Bird or Magic lead a team to an NBA title in the modern age? Yeah, you could hide them defensively, but if we're talking pure individual talent, LeBron would be in the conversation as best player in the league...and I'm by no means a Bran stan, just being objective.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    I agree with this. That's why the posters saying peak Bird and Magic would automatically be the best players in today's NBA are underrating peak LeBron. Dude was a beast on both sides of the ball. Could Bird or Magic lead a team to an NBA title in the modern age? Yeah, you could hide them defensively, but if we're talking pure individual talent, LeBron would be in the conversation as best player in the league...and I'm by no means a Bran stan, just being objective.

Magic hardly more athletic than Bird? Laughable assertion. Magic is clearly much more athletic. You must have never seen him in his prime blasting fullcourt and attacking the rack. He did run the most explosive fast break offense for a reason

In 2011 a 37 year old Kidd after a couple of major knee surgeries still averaged 8 points, 4 boards, and 8 assists. A year earlier he put up 10 points, 6 rebounds, and 9 assists.

Yeah, Magic wouldn't have any problems if a decrepit Kidd was doing that.

Bird? Bird is way more athletic than Dirk, and I don't see Dirk having any problems throughout his career.

Right now,

It's prolly

1. Bird/Bran
    2. Magic

But in terms of team success? TODAY? it's magic man. Give him the Cavs (sans love) and he'll contend everytime for sure.

Peak Bird and Magic vs current LeBron? Sure. 09-12 LeBron? It would be a three way debate. Let's not underrate peak LeBron.
    Yup. 09-13 LeBron would certainly be in that mix, but I would be comfortable taking Magic and Larry at their absolute best because there's none of this:

Because of his length, I could also hide Magic's inadequacies on defense. Bird in his peak was good enough to compete on that end.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

The zone allowances would probably make both of them better defenders. Especially Bird who wasn't bad as it was, and now he'd be defending more PFs, and allowed to cheat, which was what made him a good defender to begin with.

I'd be tempted to play Magic at PF too. Just line up the best shooters I could around him at the other four positions.

I love LAaaaaaaaaaaa! Lakers Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    who are worse than Rodman, Michael Cooper, MJ and Magic

who are worse than Bird, Drexler, Dominique, Dr. J
    Michael Cooper was probably a better defender than any player active today and I believe he said Larry Bird was the toughest player he ever guarded, worse than Michael Jordan.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

You don't need to hide Larry...he was one of the best help/team defensive players before the back. Individual defense has always been overrated and at PF he wouldn't be burned much anyway. If anything, you don't want him on a guy he has to pay too much attention too...you want him to be able to play off and use that great help defense.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 07-26-2015 at 04:01 PM.

Local High School Star KirbyPls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Yup. 09-13 LeBron would certainly be in that mix, but I would be comfortable taking Magic and Larry at their absolute best because there's none of this:

Because of his length, I could also hide Magic's inadequacies on defense. Bird in his peak was good enough to compete on that end.

Yep, none of a 25-11-7 Finals MVP winning, back-to-back championship where he led his team in pts, rbs and assists while leading the only tem to ever beat the Spurs for the title with a game 7 of 37-12-4. Good call, none of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolando
    Both of these guys are basketball geniuses. Their games would be somewhat different because of today's rules. They'd both be better at shooting the 3point shot with Bird probably eclipsing guys like Ray Allen or Curry.

I could see Magic being like Lebron but with a better shot, better passing but slightly less rebounding. Magic would be able to defend the 3 pointer very well with his length. Guards would have to put it on the floor against him.

Bird might lead the league in rebounds and scoring.

Both would be averaging a triple double.

They would destroy.
    They are player in an inflated stats no defense era lol. Dat nostalgia

5-time NBA All-Star

What is all this talk about today's game not suiting Magic??? The last PG to have great influence on the league was Nash - a poor man's Magic. They shot around the same TS%, despite Magic taking at least one half court heave a game. Magic was significantly better passer and much more of a mismatch. Magic had better instincts, better post play, could control the game better, would be the smartest player in the game, could feature players better, was better on the fast break, could snatch and create momentum better... and Nash did all of these things better than Chris Paul did. Outside of defense, in most point guard duties Magic was two levels better than CP3 and two years ago CP3 was on the majority of you guys top five list.

Magic rarely guarded PGs in his day and its not like his defense ever came into play where they lost big games because of it. It wasn't something big like you guys are making it out to be. Once again see Nash. And how you control pace is part of defense. And Magic was significantly better than the next in line in controlling a game. Magic also had the best defense to offense play in the game: When Magic stole the ball (and he lead the league in steals a couple of years) it was the best defense to offense play in the game as it was often a 4 or 5 point turnaround.

When Curry and Westbrook were considered top notch defenders at their position, neither guarded Derrick Rose at the end of games, so the playing off the point on defense isn't a big thing. And both were considered better than Paul who has the defense thing locked up.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    What is all this talk about today's game not suiting Magic??? The last PG to have great influence on the league was Nash - a poor man's Magic. They shot around the same TS%, despite Magic taking at least one half court heave a game. Magic was significantly better passer and much more of a mismatch. Magic had better instincts, better post play, could control the game better, would be the smartest player in the game, could feature players better, was better on the fast break, could snatch and create momentum better... and Nash did all of these things better than Chris Paul did. Outside of defense, in most point guard duties Magic was two levels better than CP3 and two years ago CP3 was on the majority of you guys top five list.

Magic rarely guarded PGs in his day and its not like his defense ever came into play where they lost big games because of it. It wasn't something big like you guys are making it out to be. Once again see Nash. And how you control pace is part of defense. And Magic was significantly better than the next in line in controlling a game. Magic also had the best defense to offense play in the game: When Magic stole the ball (and he lead the league in steals a couple of years) it was the best defense to offense play in the game as it was often a 4 or 5 point turnaround.

When Curry and Westbrook were considered top notch defenders at their position, neither guarded Derrick Rose at the end of games, so the playing off the point on defense isn't a big thing. And both were considered better than Paul who has the defense thing locked up.
    educate these fools, pointguard..

thanks for the knowledge