Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-07-2007, 12:52 PM   #16
Younggrease
Banned

Default Re: Shard Lewis... hindsight is 20/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by saKf
Why are you calling Lewis versatile to pump him up when you talk about "4 out 1 in" offense and the importance of having good three-point shooters?

Versatility has nothing to do with the point you're making.

I think that a 4 out 1 in offense works better when the 4 man is able to be a great shooter as well as a guy that can put it on the floor and get to the basket..As opposed to a shooter like Pat Garrity ... who is just a standstill shooter..I dont think Orlando could have gotten a better player for the style they are trying to play..Lewis is top 3-4 every year in 3 pointers made and has some swagger about him.. I dont think he deserves the max but imo it could have been worst...ie. giving it to or close to it to Vince Carter
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #17
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Still a waste of money. There really wasn't a more cost effective way to get to the second round of the playoffs and lose?

Well there prob was..but Orlando is getting to the ECF and losing.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #18
ExpatSunsFan
Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
and they wouldnt be as good as they are now...A lot of there success has to do with there offense..The 4 out 1 in... and there are many versatile 6"10 guys like Rashard floating around who are dead eye 3 point shooters...
Apparently Grant Hill can shoot 35% from three if you just stand him out there once in a while.

Rashard Lewis
Adonal Foyle

or:

Grant Hill
Darko Milicic
Andray Blatche
Austin Croshere

That's supposed to be a no-brainer?
ExpatSunsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #19
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopslife
Grant Hill wouldn't fit in Orlando's system because he can't shoot period. That's why they got Rashard and if you are wondering why Hedo is playing better it's because he has more space to create and because now Rashard draws the best swingman defender while Hedo has a 4 guarding him..
i thought that's why hill wasn't going to fit into the suns' system? and is he really such a bad shooter that he couldn't help? i mean shaq won titles with haslem and horance grant playing forward, and neither of them has better range than hill. to me the difference is that where hill is a 2 / 3, rashard is a 3 / 4. so you've got your pf and your sf (turk) clearing space for howard and allowing your active guards to slash and shoot from other ranges.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #20
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatSunsFan
Apparently Grant Hill can shoot 35% from three if you just stand him out there once in a while.

Rashard Lewis
Adonal Foyle

or:

Grant Hill
Darko Milicic
Andray Blatche
Austin Croshere

That's supposed to be a no-brainer?

Ill take the one that has Rashard in it...Its not the percentage that makes Rashard presence so valuable its the threat...He will always be a threat to get hot and also hits a lot more threes per year then Hill could dream of.. Lets not forget also that Rashard is doing this from the 4 spot and is guarding power forwards fine..

Croshere is over the hill...Blatche cant shoot and isnt very good...Darko would have been fine and Hill is over the hill as well and doesnt fit the system...Why would I want that over Rashard Lewis??

Last edited by Younggrease : 12-07-2007 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #21
ExpatSunsFan

You could just as easily play Grant Hill at PF as Shard, who doesn't rebound and isn't exactly beasting anybody on defense, either.

Blatche sucks? OK, never mind.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:38 PM   #22
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Shards overpaid, but without him, the Magic wouldnt be having the success they are having. Having a threat outside in shard has freed up space for Dwight in the paint. Its no coincidence that Dwight and Magic are having great years. Shard takes a lot of pressure off Dwight, something he hasnt had in the past.

They didnt sign Hill because they were looking to rebuild for the longterm. Hill has probably only a year after this and then retires. Why get a one year guy. Still, Shard was grossly overpaid but i guess until they start losing, not many people are going to talk about it
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #23
hoopslife
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Hill can't shoot 3's so the guy guarding Hill would leave him to double Dwight. That's something they can't do with Rashard. Hill doesn't give Dwight as much spacing because his game his all about the mid-range J and slashing.
hoopslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #24
Diesel J
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

Is Lewis really playing that much better than Hedo?

he's playing better because on the signing of rashard.last year teams could double Hedo if the wanted to on the perimeter because he was their only outside threat but with Rashard outthere they can't do it.They cover Rashard and wind up leaving Hedo open.
Diesel J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #25
ExpatSunsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopslife
Hill can't shoot 3's so the guy guarding Hill would leave him to double Dwight. That's something they can't do with Rashard. Hill doesn't give Dwight as much spacing because his game his all about the mid-range J and slashing.
He's shooting 35% from three this year, with plenty of attempts. Not quite as good as Shard's 39%, but definitely good enough for a PF.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #26
Diesel J
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Lewis really isn't doing anything he hasn't done before. The improvement of the Magic is squarely on the improvements of Dwight Howard.

Still too early to buy into the hype though.

actually dwights improvements goes hand in hand with shard and the other outside shooters.No outside shooting makes it harder for Dwight to operate down low for those hook shots and dunks because of bad spacing.If you double Dwight now you get burned from the 3..so if you play Dwight straight up now he beasts
Old 12-07-2007, 02:17 PM   #27
Diesel J
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatSunsFan
He's shooting 35% from three this year, with plenty of attempts. Not quite as good as Shard's 39%, but definitely good enough for a PF.

The kinds of 3 het get in PHX are different from the kind he would get in Orlando.PHX threes are quick hitting plays in transition while Orlandos are off post ups by Dwight when teams double.Grant Hill isn't even close to being as good of a shooter as Rashard
Old 12-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #28
MoPizzlez
Not airballing my layups anymore

Is Shard overpayed? yea
If I was Orlando Shard>Hill Darko MLE
I also remember reading an article were Cavs Knicks & Rockets all were trying to work out a sign & trade thats why Orlando gave him 126 instead of a 120 he would have got in a sign & trade

What makes Shard so important to this team is his ability to play without the ball, hit big shots, take the double and triple teams from Dwight, and draw opposing teams best defender (reason Turk has been a man) best possible fit 4 this team
MoPizzlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #29
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
I think that a 4 out 1 in offense works better when the 4 man is able to be a great shooter as well as a guy that can put it on the floor and get to the basket..As opposed to a shooter like Pat Garrity ... who is just a standstill shooter..I dont think Orlando could have gotten a better player for the style they are trying to play..Lewis is top 3-4 every year in 3 pointers made and has some swagger about him.. I dont think he deserves the max but imo it could have been worst...ie. giving it to or close to it to Vince Carter
That clarification makes some more sense. I see what you're saying now.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:26 PM   #30
ExpatSunsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel J
Grant Hill isn't even close to being as good of a shooter as Rashard
True.

On the other hand, Hill is better at the other facets of the game--even at PF--and would have cost about 1/3 as much. How much is that edge in shooting worth? Wouldn't the Magic be even better with some solid depth, and have a better future with another talented youngster or two?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: