Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #16
elz
Dylan spits hot fire!

Default Re: WHo's the most overpaid player of all time?

Shocked no one Said Stephon Marbury

I vote Jerome James and
runner up Vin Baker
and last but not least

Mark Blount!
elz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:10 AM   #17
Valliant13
College star

[quote=elz]Shocked no one Said Stephon Marbury

I vote Jerome James and

QUOTE]

Very legit contender to the overpaid crown.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:14 AM   #18
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Finley still gets all his money. mavs pay 18 and the Spurs pay the rest. The buyout didnt take his money just kept them from having to pay the luxary tax because of him.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #19
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valliant13
Rasho makes eight Million and has substantial impact on Toronto's play. He's there best interior defender, doesn't throw away possesions, and rebounds at good rate. He is overpaid, but very far from worthless. When he starts they win at much greater percentage than when he comes off the bench/is out.

I'd chose someone like Raed Lafrentz, who's putting up 3ppg 1 rebound, 1/2 a block, 1/3rd of steal, and 1/10th of assist for the low price of 12 million dollars a year.
Raef Lafrentz was once a good defensive big man in the NBA and that contract he got was coming off of a good season in Denver and a solid half season in Dallas.

LaFrentz isnt doing anything mainly because of injuries and age as well as him not getting much of any playing time.Back in the 04-05 season when he got some solid playing time he shot 49% from the field and averaged 11 ppg with 7 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game.

LaFrentz was traded to Portland not to play but to be a filler in the Telfair deal and to bring Brandon Roy to Portland.
Interminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:19 AM   #20
Poormansmailman
Saw a basketball once

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
Jon 'contract' Koncak was once the highest paid player in the league

Wow.. Is this for real? Need more info on this one.. Somebody?
Poormansmailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:19 AM   #21
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elz
Shocked no one Said Stephon Marbury

I vote Jerome James and
runner up Vin Baker
and last but not least

Mark Blount!
Marbury was supposed to be overpaid by now.

All big contracts when their signed usually have a huge backload on them so when the player is towards the end of it it makes them seem like they're overpaid.
So when Rashard Lewis,Vince Carter and others contracts are in their final year or 2 years it will make it seem as if they're overpaid.

Mark Blount-7 footer with a mid range jumpshot who shoots a high %.Overpaid but no THAT overpaid.

Vin Baker-Once was a very good player but an alcohol addiction ruined his career but he should've had his contract voided,nowadays an alcohol addiction like his was is worthy of being voided.

Jerome James-Knicks players dont count
Old 12-03-2007, 10:20 AM   #22
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Raef LaFrentz has to be up there.

Quote:
LaFrentz isnt doing anything mainly because of injuries and age as well as him not getting much of any playing time.Back in the 04-05 season when he got some solid playing time he shot 49% from the field and averaged 11 ppg with 7 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game.
It's not a matter of not getting playing time. LaFranchise has been done for a few years now.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:21 AM   #23
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poormansmailman
Wow.. Is this for real? Need more info on this one.. Somebody?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Koncak

Quote:
Though a reliable defender and fan-favorite for much of his career, Koncak is perhaps best remembered for the six-year, US$ 13 million contract he received from the Hawks in 1989 - an unprecedented total for a reserve. The deal was roundly criticized since it paid Koncak more than Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. His large contract prevented the Hawks from taking part in any other major free agent signings for several years.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #24
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

In Jon Koncak's highest paid year, 1992-1993, he made roughly the same as Charles Barkley and about 1.5 mill less than Jordan.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:25 AM   #25
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Raef LaFrentz has to be up there.

It's not a matter of not getting playing time. LaFranchise has been done for a few years now.
LaFrentz has been on the decline.True.

But when he plays good minutes he puts up respectable numbers.Overpaid should mean a player who does nothing when he gets minutes but makes more than the players who actually get playing time.

As I've said before,LaFrentz is supposed to rot on the bench in Portland.They didnt bring him to Portland to play,the brought him to Portland because his contract was a year longer than Theo and they felt is was worth paying him that to get Brandon Roy for Bassie.

A very good deal imo for both.
Theo Ratliff's huge contract is the reason why the KG deal worked.

Brandon Roy is one of Portland's 3 star players.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #26
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Quote:
But when he plays good minutes he puts up respectable numbers.
Three years ago, yeah. His last season in Boston was a disaster and it was clear he was finished. Trust me, it's not a matter of him not getting PT. He's done.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:33 AM   #27
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Koncak relative to the rest of the league really might be it. The Pistons had the Hawks thinking they would sign him away and he was a decent guy. I guess they thought the Pistons saw something special. They react by paying him more than Michael Jordan was making just to keep him from the conference rival Pistons. They paid him 2-3 million a year when the salary cap was 6-7. The cap just 3 years earlier had been just 3.6 million.

By todays standards thats about 24 million. And all the guy had done was have a half decent post season where he put up like 12ppg. Its the modern equal of the Suns giving a guy like Kurt Thomas a 100 million dollar contract because he was gonna sign with the Lakers(Kurt is in Seattle now isnt he?).

In one move the Hawks and John Koncak brought on the big contracts we see today. When Barkley sees this guy making Jordan money he figures "Im worth at least 2-3 times that" and he was right. When they gave that bum(relative to the deal) Michael, Magic, and Bird money they destroyed the system. Ive heard nba people from the time say players and agents were using "But the Hawks gave Koncak ___. And im an all star!" and getting paid because of it.

Jim Mcilvaine getting that huge deal when the Sonics refused to give Kemp what he wanted is also pretty bad.

Last edited by Kblaze8855 : 12-03-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #28
bk33
duck my sick

I'd have to go with Adonal Foyle, more so because most overpaid players got paid for some kinda reasons(reasonable or not), but with Foyle it was like "huh? is it because he does a lot of charity and bring good PR?"
bk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:41 AM   #29
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Three years ago, yeah. His last season in Boston was a disaster and it was clear he was finished. Trust me, it's not a matter of him not getting PT. He's done.
Yeah he is done.

Ill correct myself,LaFrentz is nothing more than a role playing big man in the NBA now.When he gets minutes he at least provides a good %,6-8 ppg,4 rpg,and a block.

Rasho is the biggest slouch in NBA history other than Shawn Bradley.You know what,Id rather have Shawn Bradley than Rasho.Toronto plays better when Rasho is on the court?
Who notices when Rasho is on the court?

Hes invisible on offense and defense,his only role is to defend the big man Bosh isnt defending and to collect the occasional rebound if Bosh doesnt get it.

But hes made 19 million the past 3 seasons with another 16 million on the way for this season and next season.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:46 AM   #30
Interminator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk33
I'd have to go with Adonal Foyle, more so because most overpaid players got paid for some kinda reasons(reasonable or not), but with Foyle it was like "huh? is it because he does a lot of charity and bring good PR?"
Because Foyle is 7ft.

Foyle never complained and never killed the teams chemistry.He made good use of the minutes he was given and did what he does best which is play great man defense and block shots as well as getting a few rebounds.

If Foyle played 40 mpg throughout his whole career,his averages would be solid.
9.2 ppg,10.6 rpg,3.7 bpg
including a few seasons where he would've averaged 4 bpg.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: