Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #46
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Default Re: Shaq - "I want my children to watch Dirk"

Just don't show your kids Dirk games duing the playoffs or 4th quarters...

US is still the best basketball country in the world. We will prove that next summer in China.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #47
gaydad
Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Re: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
if American ball is so bad than how come the best players are still raised on American ball.
1)demographics: USA is a 250 millions nation; the basketball hotbeds in Europe are Lithuania, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia. They total a population of 20 millions.
In Spain, Italy, Greece, Russia, France the sport is relevant but takes a bow to soccer and a few more sports in some cases; the % of young males playing it is far inferior to USA's
2)gene pool: in Europe, only France can count on a significant number of people originally coming from western Africa. It's obvious that athletes from that part of the world are more gifted when it comes to quick power output. That gives them a significant advantage on the court, although technically they may be less skilled than their caucasian or asian competitors
How many great caucasian or asian-american players can you name?

Those aforementioned are the main reasons America produces the best players and has a depth in talent pool no other country can ever hope to match. But there are a couple of other factors that make the gap look larger than what it really is:

3)deception: the NBA game rewards individual play and athletic prowess more than any other basketball league. NBA is the richest league, that alone does not make its style superior. In fact it's very arguable that the truer form of basketball is played elsewhere (with very notable exceptions like Spurs, Suns, Pistons). Not all that shines is gold. Steve Francis (was considered a franchise player for some time!), Stephon Marbury, Jermaine O'Neal: those are stars, but not winners.
4) style of play: for the same reason, many foreigner players have to play a style that's not taking advantage of all their skills, and are relegated to "role players", being asked to do the one, two thing they can do best. That happens to american players as well, but generally FIBA players have a better understanding of the game, and that's not taken advantage of by many of their NBA coaches, because they have to defer to the star player instead of playing more of a team game. As a consequence, they don't have the impact they could have
gaydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #48
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Why are these old topics getting bumped up? Not to mention the bumper isn't really adding anything at all to the thread.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:54 PM   #49
gaydad
Not airballing my layups anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
Why are these old topics getting bumped up? Not to mention the bumper isn't really adding anything at all to the thread.
why are you so auto-referential?
gaydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 12:57 AM   #50
Lebron23
2nd Greatest Player

Shaq - "I want my children to watch Dirk in the playoffs

Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 01:02 AM   #51
White Chocolate
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Shaq - "I want my children to watch Dirk in the playoffs

Shaq's kids- "Daddy, last we checked, you beat him in the Finals, not to mention Dirk's Mavs losing to an 8th seed".
White Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: