Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Why did Nikos Galis never play for the Boston Celtics?

Where do you get this info from Lakas? 400 pounds bench press is very good for his size assuming he was about 190-200Ibs. In his book it says he squatted 360 kilos? But that can't be right, Ronnie Coleman can do that for 2 reps , thats over 750Ibs! Do you think the book meant 360Ibs, because it said he looked like he could have done more.....

I actually own a book with Galis but its in Greek and although I understand some Greek, it is a bit advanced for me considering I didn't grow up speaking Greek in my house.

Galis to me looks like a better scorer than Stockton Carter_17. Stockton might have been a better defender and playmaker for his teamattes, but I would have to think Galis was simply a better scorer on ANY level than Stockton. In terms of speed I would say Galis was faster. Although Galis was not the fastest player in a straight line -- he changed speeds very well and had strength and enough craftiness to score at a high level against any competition. But Im not sure he could compete with Stockton in the assist department, because his best strength was scoring.

Although Bob Mcadoo did dominate as well in the International game, he was still a solid contributor for a title Laker team in the 80s. So even though many rotational NBA players came over and dominated overseas, they didn't do so at the same level of Galis. And that alone makes me think Galis could be an excellent NBA player. Maybe not elite or a an all star every year, but with the right luck he could make a few all star games and be rated very highly as an NBA guard.

He clearly was on a similiar or better level then guys like Petrovic and Sarunas Marcilonis, who were clearly above average 2 guards in the league. Petrovic was third team all NBA and probably had room for improvement had he not tragically died.

Although I don't think he could have make a Chris Paul like impact, he could probably have gotten 20ppg+ 6apg+ if he landed on the right team and was given a chance to shine......

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nikos1982
    Where do you get this info from Lakas? 400 pounds bench press is very good for his size assuming he was about 190-200Ibs. In his book it says he squatted 360 kilos? But that can't be right, Ronnie Coleman can do that for 2 reps , thats over 750Ibs! Do you think the book meant 360Ibs, because it said he looked like he could have done more.....

I actually own a book with Galis but its in Greek and although I understand some Greek, it is a bit advanced for me considering I didn't grow up speaking Greek in my house.

Galis to me looks like a better scorer than Stockton Carter_17. Stockton might have been a better defender and playmaker for his teamattes, but I would have to think Galis was simply a better scorer on ANY level than Stockton. In terms of speed I would say Galis was faster. Although Galis was not the fastest player in a straight line -- he changed speeds very well and had strength and enough craftiness to score at a high level against any competition. But Im not sure he could compete with Stockton in the assist department, because his best strength was scoring.

Although Bob Mcadoo did dominate as well in the International game, he was still a solid contributor for a title Laker team in the 80s. So even though many rotational NBA players came over and dominated overseas, they didn't do so at the same level of Galis. And that alone makes me think Galis could be an excellent NBA player. Maybe not elite or a an all star every year, but with the right luck he could make a few all star games and be rated very highly as an NBA guard.

He clearly was on a similiar or better level then guys like Petrovic and Sarunas Marcilonis, who were clearly above average 2 guards in the league. Petrovic was third team all NBA and probably had room for improvement had he not tragically died.

Although I don't think he could have make a Chris Paul like impact, he could probably have gotten 20ppg+ 6apg+ if he landed on the right team and was given a chance to shine......
    No, he meant 800 pounds. His squat was about 800 and his bench press was about 400. BTW, I looked at some old Greek stuff and it seems his weight at that time I am talking about when he was lifting those amounts was about 195 pounds. He was a work out fanatic. That was what allowed him to jump high, hang in the air, drive in the lane, take contact, and finish the play. He was 6-0 barefoot but he was stronger than the 7 footers of the other teams and that was how he stayed playing inside all game long.

It was also how he played all those years and avoided injury problems. He also did insane amounts cardio training and running which allowed him to play 40 minutes in almost every game.

I think Galis could have had numbers very good numbers in the NBA. Petrovic and Marcuilionis both had very nice NBA numbers and Galis was an even better scorer than they were.
    Last edited by Lakas Fan Yo; 08-04-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Saw a basketball once

Ronnie Coleman did 2 reps of 800lbs squats, I highly doubt Galis could do the same thing as Ronnie Coleman whos over 300 pounds of steroid induced muscle.

You sure this wasn't an exaggeration or misprint? I beleive Galis could do 400 pounds on the bench, but 800 pounds on the squat? Maybe 600 or 650, but 800 just doesn't sound right.

Even World Class Power Lifters can barely do 900lbs on the squat.

Banned

Ronnie Coleman did 2 reps of 800lbs squats, I highly doubt Galis could do the same thing as Ronnie Coleman whos over 300 pounds of steroid induced muscle.

You sure this wasn't an exaggeration or misprint? I beleive Galis could do 400 pounds on the bench, but 800 pounds on the squat? Maybe 600 or 650, but 800 just doesn't sound right.

Even World Class Power Lifters can barely do 900lbs on the squat.
    Not only did his biography book state that was the weight, but his video biography which aired in Greece also stated it and even showed him lifting the weights. It was 2 reps of 400 on the bench and 6 reps of 750 on the squat. 800 was his max on the squat.

It was stated that Galis trained for 16 hours a day every day from 1979 to 1993. It was also said that this was led to his demise as he became a recluse and could not get along in social settings.

Keep in mind that Galis was named the 10th best athlete in the world in 1987, he was named the best European basketball player of the 1980s, and he was named the best athlete in the history of the Hellenic Republic, which has existed since 1821.
    Last edited by Lakas Fan Yo; 08-05-2009 at 07:01 PM.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
    Not only did his biography book state that was the weight, but his video biography which aired in Greece also stated it and even showed him lifting the weights. It was 2 reps of 400 on the bench and 6 reps of 750 on the squat. 800 was his max on the squat.

It was stated that Galis trained for 16 hours a day every day from 1979 to 1993. It was also said that this was led to his demise as he became a recluse and could not get along in social settings.

Keep in mind that Galis was named the 10th best athlete in the world in 1987, he was named the best European basketball player of the 1980s, and he was named the best athlete in the history of the Hellenic Republic, which has existed since 1821.
    Lakas what is your email address, I would like to ask you some questions regarding Galis. I can't seem to Private Message anyone and Inside Hoops hasn't responded on this.

Banned

Lakas what is your email address, I would like to ask you some questions regarding Galis. I can't seem to Private Message anyone and Inside Hoops hasn't responded on this.
    I'm not sure I want to give out my email address in a post on the board though........

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Lakas Fan Yo
    I'm not sure I want to give out my email address in a post on the board though........
    Can you PM me?

Saw a basketball once

My email is

nikosgalis2009@yahoo.com

can you email me?

Saw a basketball once

Here is slightly more specific information on Galis not playing for the Celtics on The Draft Review

Nick Galis - But who is Nick Galis? If you're about to access your mental library in attempt to recall his the NBA career, I'll spare you the reference check. Galis didn’t play a minute in the league, but he is counted among the notables due to his legendary play in Greece. Galis is to Greece what Sabonis is to Lithuania and what Jordan is to America - the best player ever. He was born in New Jersey to Greek parents, but he was not an overnight prodigy. Galis developed through countless hours of practice. As a senior at Seton Hall he finished third in scoring in the nation, and is considered one of the school's best players. Yet despite his talent, Galis signed with an inexperienced agent who didn’t even have the player workout for any NBA teams. Given the opportunity for workouts, he more than likely would have seen late-first to mid-second round. After being selected by the Celtics, Galis was injured in training camp and limited him for two weeks. Celtics' GM Red Auerbach decided to cut Galis which opened up the opportunity for him to play overseas. The next 14 seasons were spent carving out a tremendous career highlighted by 5 Greek MVP awards, 8 Greek League Championships and 2 medals as a member of the Greek National team. Lastly, one has to take the word of the late Red Auerbach, one the best ever evaluators of talent in the business of basketball. He mentioned cutting Galis as one of his biggest mistakes.
    http://www.thedraftreview.com/index....035&Itemid=115

By Matt Maurer

PS LAKAS can you email me?

Banned

He was drafted 68th overall