Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I rule the local playground

Default Re: Bill Walton: 1977 NBA Finals Highlights

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    No, it isn't.

Duncan has the edge stat wise, won with less help [relative to competition], did it in the tougher era.

Duncan's a PF to me anyway, so I would have Walton in my top 5. But it wasn't better than Tim's.

Oh, and Duncan has better stats even though his teams were way slower.
    I am a huge Duncan fan but Walton was a better passer, defender, and rebounder then Duncan and scoring is probably about even.

And don't give me the stats argument about scoring because its not baseball where everyone gets up the same amount of times with the same goal..

Duncan never had the impact on his team of the league as a peak Walton. Walton took a weak team without him and dominated the league for 2 years.

Duncan while great and among the top 10 ever was not at that level.

Default Re: Bill Walton: 1977 NBA Finals Highlights

Quote Originally Posted by stanlove1111
    I am a huge Duncan fan but Walton was a better passer, defender, and rebounder then Duncan and scoring is probably about even.

And don't give me the stats argument about scoring because its not baseball where everyone gets up the same amount of times with the same goal..

Duncan never had the impact on his team of the league as a peak Walton. Walton took a weak team without him and dominated the league for 2 years.

Duncan while great and among the top 10 ever was not at that level.
    77 Blazers scored 111.7 PPG with a Pace of 108.0. Walton averaged 18.6 PPG in the Regular Season and 18.2 PPG in the Playoffs.

03 Spurs scored 95.8 PPG with a Pace of 90.0. Duncan averaged 23.3 PPG in the Regular Season and 24.7 PPG in the Playoffs.

Duncan was a much, much, much, much better scorer. On a Per 100 Possession basis, Duncan scored about 10 more points per game.

In the Playoffs, Walton grabbed 0.5 more of the available rebounds. Duncan dished out 6.1% more assists. Walton stole the ball more; Duncan blocked more shots.

Defense is a wash for me. Walton was a fantastic team defender, but Duncan was the better man defender/help defender. Walton had the edge in rebounding.

I'm taking the guy who did it in one of the toughest eras/conferences in league history. The mid-70s was the low-point for the NBA.

Walton did have a top 5 peak for a C though. Incredible player!

Edit: I should add that Duncan was a more efficient scorer too. Walton was 7th on his team in TS%. Duncan was third.
    Last edited by T_L_P; 08-20-2014 at 11:27 AM.