Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Default Bill Walton: 1977 NBA Finals Highlights

Default Re: Bill Walton: 1977 NBA Finals Highlights

Top 5 Center peak of all time.

College superstar

His series clinching game 6 is one of he most dominant performances I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by MP.Trey
    Top 5 Center peak of all time.
    Better than Wilt, KAJ, Shaq, Duncan, Moses, and Hakeem's peaks? And that's just the centers (and Russell certainly had a longer peak, as well.)

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Probably The Best Passing Center Skillwise. Great Defender, Rebounder and Shot Blocker. Sadly His Prime Was Short Do To Injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
    Better than Wilt, KAJ, Shaq, Duncan, Moses, and Hakeem's peaks? And that's just the centers (and Russell certainly had a longer peak, as well.)

Certainly better than Duncan's "peak".

A bigman who can block shots and pass from the high/low post is the most dominant force in the sport.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound
    Probably The Best Passing Center Skillwise. Great Defender, Rebounder and Shot Blocker. Sadly His Prime Was Short Do To Injuries.
    Based on his injury list (even in his two best NBA seasons) we could argue if he ever hit his prime (at best he plays 34 min per game). In my opinion he did not reach his potential, just show for 1-2 seasons what he could be. Should be considered as one of the greatest college players ever.

His greatest ever game is not in NBA, but in his last NCAA final.

Certainly better than Moses' in my opinion. Duncan is arguable but I consider him a power forward in the grand scheme. And of course, it's only centers, that's the group of players I mentioned , is it not? Mind you, we are talking one season peaks here. That's what I consider to be a "peak". Walton is top 5 material for me.

My advice to you would be to get off your high horse and realize that thew argument can be made and has been made serveral times by several reputable people. It's nothing to roll over laughing about like you're doing. That's just disrespecting Walton's season.

He had everything you could ever want in a Center. Leadership, Unseld like passing ability off the boards, Bird like passing ability in the halfcourt, tenacious rebounding defensive anchor led the league in blocks AND rebounds. Led Portland to a 70-15 record (including playoffs) with an average at best supporting cast, averaged 19/19/5/4 in the playoffs including 20/23/8/7 in a closeout elimination game. Sure he didn't have the post moves of McHale or Olajuwon, but a very efficient offensive game and never took over the game scoring, unless he needed to.

I'd personally take 77 Walton over any high powered offense with Moses to build a team around and wouldn't think twice about it.

I have:
    67 Wilt
    71 Kareem
    01 Shaq
    94 Olajuwon
    77 Walton

Quote Originally Posted by MP.Trey
    Certainly better than Moses' in my opinion. Duncan is arguable but I consider him a power forward in the grand scheme. And of course, it's only centers, that's the group of players I mentioned , is it not? Mind you, we are talking one season peaks here. That's what I consider to be a "peak". Walton is top 5 material for me.

My advice to you would be to get off your high horse and realize that thew argument can be made and has been made serveral times by several reputable people. It's nothing to roll over laughing about like you're doing. That's just disrespecting Walton's season.

He had everything you could ever want in a Center. Leadership, Unseld like passing ability off the boards, Bird like passing ability in the halfcourt, tenacious rebounding defensive anchor led the league in blocks AND rebounds. Led Portland to a 70-15 record (including playoffs) with an average at best supporting cast, averaged 19/19/5/4 in the playoffs including 20/23/8/7 in a closeout elimination game. Sure he didn't have the post moves of McHale or Olajuwon, but a very efficient offensive game and never took over the game scoring, unless he needed to.

I'd personally take 77 Walton over any high powered offense with Moses to build a team around and wouldn't think twice about it.

I have:
    67 Wilt
    71 Kareem
    01 Shaq
    94 Olajuwon
    77 Walton
    I do owe you an apology. We all have our opinions, and there are many that agree with your's.

IMHO, though, Walton couldn't even stay healthy for one full season, and as Julizaver noted, played 35 mpg in that one. He was very skilled, no doubt, but even at his peak KAJ had his way with him.

As for Moses...at his peak he just overwhelmed the league, and ALL of the centers in it. From '79 thru '83 he was as dominant against his peers as Wilt. KAJ, and Shaq were against their's.

But, again, sorry. I am so used to reading comments from trolls here that I mis-took you for one. You obviously are not, and deserve to be respected.

I do owe you an apology. We all have our opinions, and there are many that agree with your's.

IMHO, though, Walton couldn't even stay healthy for one full season, and as Julizaver noted, played 35 mpg in that one. He was very skilled, no doubt, but even at his peak KAJ had his way with him.

As for Moses...at his peak he just overwhelmed the league, and ALL of the centers in it. From '79 thru '83 he was as dominant against his peers as Wilt. KAJ, and Shaq were against their's.

But, again, sorry. I am so used to reading comments from trolls here that I mis-took you for one. You obviously are not, and deserve to be respected.

No worries. I know you're a very knowledgeable poster, which is why I took offense to the nature of your post. Walton's no laughing stock when comparing peaks with other greats and didn't want him to be portrayed that way, especially by someone who is known as a respectable, good poster on the board.

I rule the local playground

At his best he added as much value to a basketball team as any center ever. When healthy he was the best rebounder in the league, the best passer in the league, and the best defensive player in the league. Plus could put up a ton of points if he wanted to.

And all the intangables are there, he could play his game while taken nothing away from his teammates game ad only add to it.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by stanlove1111
    At his best he added as much value to a basketball team as any center ever. When healthy he was the best rebounder in the league, the best passer in the league, and the best defensive player in the league. Plus could put up a ton of points if he wanted to.

And all the intangables are there, he could play his game while taken nothing away from his teammates game ad only add to it.
    I'd take that over a dominant scorer any day.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    Certainly better than Duncan's "peak".
    No, it isn't.

Duncan has the edge stat wise, won with less help [relative to competition], did it in the tougher era.

Duncan's a PF to me anyway, so I would have Walton in my top 5. But it wasn't better than Tim's.

Oh, and Duncan has better stats even though his teams were way slower.
    Last edited by T_L_P; 08-20-2014 at 10:38 AM.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by jlip
    I'd take that over a dominant scorer any day.

Yes. There is a reason the Blazers from 76-78 were 109-37 with Walton and 14-31 without him..Maybe the most valuable player ever.