Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Why don't people use stats per 36 minutes more often?

It's relevant when considering a case like Kobe last season. I believe he led the league in scoring on a Per36. But then you'd have to consider fatigue.

It's good to look up and consider, but it's better to just use the overall Per and then consider the MPG as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsGame
    You forgot to look at FGA, dumbnuts.

All the stats show is Wade is less selfish and shares the ball with LeBron James and other people more. Kobe is a ballhog that shotjacks.
    Of course he shares the ball more...because he has ****ing Lebron James on his team.

Kobe takes more shots because he is the Lakers best scoring option by far. The same can not be said for Wade since Lebron is on his team.

owwwww

Needs to be used properly.

Can't be using it for bench players, who play against secondary lineups and play limited (high energy) minutes. But gives you a good idea of their production still (need to keep in mind lot of guys aren't capable of playing 30+ minutes because they can't stay on the floor that long due to foul trouble/conditioning/matchups etc). Like most stats, people need to realize how to use it properly instead of finding exceptions to act like it's useless (ie. *insert scrub here* is averaging this per 36 means it's useless).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Needs to be used properly.

Can't be using it for bench players, who play against secondary lineups and play limited (high energy) minutes. But gives you a good idea of their production still (need to keep in mind lot of guys aren't capable of playing 30+ minutes because they can't stay on the floor that long due to foul trouble/conditioning/matchups etc). Like most stats, people need to realize how to use it properly instead of finding exceptions to act like it's useless (ie. *insert scrub here* is averaging this per 36 means it's useless).
    That sounds about right and as someone else mentioned earlier this thread it should only be used when comparing players that are comparable with others (e.g. Kobe vs. Lebron, Lebron vs. Wade, etc.) and play close to the same minutes, (e.g. 30 mpg vs. 33 mpg, 34 mpg vs. 38 mpg, 22 mpg vs. 27 mpg, etc.)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by disel
    ***. now you'r slurping kobes di*k. lol. so are you a hardcore lakers fan nowdays?. remember when you were a rockets fan when yao the man made out of glass was right. lolo
    So is your goal to stalk me in every one of my posts and threads just because I said Tracy McGrady isn't that good and isn't worth a double team anymore? Pathetic.

this is like a tv series episode vs a movie. true, a movie has more time to make an impact on you, but an episode has the advantage of less time to bore the viewer and higher intensity on every scene... also, this is reversed when we talk about the whole season vs the movie.

playing 36 minutes is just not the same as playing 20 minutes, so stats per 36 minutes are bullshit. the minutes you play in a game are another stat by itself, maybe wade didnt produce as much as kobe per 36 minutes, the thing is kobe wasnt fit enough to play as much as wade.

more minutes = more time to pad stats TRUE, but its also true that more minutes = more time to screw up and more production for the team (theres much more to basketball than what appears in scoreboards)

Banned

If you see how per 36 minute stats are calculated, they aren't that different from stats per minute. The calculation is simply divide the total (e.g. points, assits, rebounds, etc.) with minutes and then multiply by 36. I think it's a good stat only if it is taken for context like a few have stated like Fatal9.

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    If you see how per 36 minute stats are calculated, they aren't that different from stats per minute. The calculation is simply divide the total (e.g. points, assits, rebounds, etc.) with minutes and then multiply by 36. I think it's a good stat only if it is taken for context like a few have stated like Fatal9.
    . . . but the thing i want to know is . . . are you RG?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    Check the IPs and lets see the results; I can almost guarantee you they won't match. Can you now contribute to this thread about this topic/subject now?

He is I guarantee it. He's already exposing himself.

Check the IPs and lets see the results; I can almost guarantee you they won't match. Can you now contribute to this thread about this topic/subject now?

its inconclusive

Best of Both Worlds Dwyane Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Droid101

Nope.

Banned

its inconclusive
    lol at that gif, but aren't all stats inconclusive though? What are your thoughts on per 36 minutes though? I mean, I am assuming it is better than win shares and PER right?

lol at that gif, but aren't all stats inconclusive though? What are your thoughts on per 36 minutes though? I mean, I am assuming it is better than win shares and PER right?

anyhing is better then per

i meant whether you are RG or not is inconclusive.

i think per 36 is useful, like a few people have said, only for comparing players with close enough minutes.

as for PER, i think its an ok stat. it doesnt mean everything like critics claim its supposed to, but its kinda useful

and win shares, well i have no idea how they are calculated, and ive asked many times here, for an explanation.

ive seen people use them to explain how great their player is, and then they have no idea what it actually means.

if you know, id love an explanation.