Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend

Default Re: What would a 3rd chip do for Pau Gasol's legacy?

Quote Originally Posted by DMV2
    I think Gasol will most likely be compared to McHale. #2 option PF on a championship team.

I've heard that McHale was considered the best PF all-time when he was active. This was before Barkley and Mailman became a household name and long before Duncan, Dirk and KG came into the league.

The PF slot got so stacked that McHale is rarely talked about. I think Gasol will have the same fate.

McHale was not only a post-up savant, but also a first team DEFENSE player.

Dude was a legit beast and an impact player. Not just a flashy stats guy.

Idiot fans though only remember "one alpha per team" and assume everyone else sucked

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Mrofir
    If the Bulls win it all this year, and Gasol is roughly their 2.5th best player, can he crack the top 50? If Bulls win, his resume would look competitive on paper.

Career averages of 18.3/9.4 with 1.7 blocks.

15 seasons -- 10x playoffs, 5x all star, 3x champion, ROTY, 2x 3rd team, 1x 2nd team

Right now he slots in at #45 on basketball reference voting for all time rankings. The number looks reasonable but then you look further down the list and see names like Carmelo Anthony, Dwight Howard, Kevin Johnson, Grant Hill, Tony Parker, Manu, Paul Pierce, Vince Carter, Chris Bosh (who has a similar resume), etc etc. Does Pau belong up there and would a 3rd ring cement his legacy as a top 50 player? Gosh, if Spain wins in the 2012 olympics, maybe he is even higher. Could Pau Gasol be underrated?
    I hate how much disrespect Pau gets on this forum and probably by basketball-heads in general.

It's at least arguable that Pau has been the Bulls' best player during the regular season. He was at least their most consistent player. In terms of defense, he's probably the most impactful as well. He has the most DWS and the lowest Drtg on the team. He's at least not a scrub on defense.

In the playoffs, no question Butler has been their best player, but Pau has outperformed Rose by a significant level. Not only offensively (PER) but defensively. At the very least, I would consider Pau 1b on this Bulls' team.

Rose is nowhere near Pau's level anymore.

Just at people saying Pau will go down as greater than Malone or Barkley with a title this year. Those guys easily have a title if not for the GOAT, and they'd be the clear cut best player on their teams winning those titles too.

Gasol has never made an All-NBA First Team, has made just one second team, and iirc has never received a single MVP vote in his entire career. To put him ahead of Malone & Barkley is just a joke

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Just at people saying Pau will go down as greater than Malone or Barkley with a title this year. Those guys easily have a title if not for the GOAT, and they'd be the clear cut best player on their teams winning those titles too.

Gasol has never made an All-NBA First Team, has made just one second team, and iirc has never received a single MVP vote in his entire career. To put him ahead of Malone & Barkley is just a joke

Gasol is better than either Malone or Barkley. LOL Malone was only 6'9 Barkley was 6'5 but Gasol is a legit 7 feet. He has a better post game, better jumpshot, better passer, better defensively than either of them.

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    No rings plays a big factor.

You could also argue that this current Bulls team is Pau's team. He's been their first option and their best/most consistent player throughout the season.

IF the Bulls win the championship, I would put Gasol in the conversation with Dirk. This doesn't mean he's as good, just that I think he deserves to be at Dirk's level and probably just below him in the all-time rankings.

If I had to rank them and Pau wins a ring/fmvp this season:

Duncan
    Dirk
    KG
    Pau
    Barkley
    Malone
    When judging great players, whether they were alpha dogs or second fiddle carries a lot of weight. At least to me. Dirk was "the man" for most of his career. Winning a regular season mvp and fmvp. Only truly dominant players win regular season mvps. That is something Gasol could never do. So there are levels to greatness imo.

For instance, D. Robinson has 2 rings, just like Hakeem. But the way they got them makes all the difference in the world. Hakeem carrying his team while Rob piggy backing off of Duncan.

All this shows is people need to stop being retarded with ring counts.

top 50 all-time, no doubt.

Decent playground baller jimmybball's Avatar

OP asking the wrong ISH question and he knows it.

15x all nba legend TheMarkMadsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    I hate how much disrespect Pau gets on this forum and probably by basketball-heads in general.

It's at least arguable that Pau has been the Bulls' best player during the regular season. He was at least their most consistent player. In terms of defense, he's probably the most impactful as well. He has the most DWS and the lowest Drtg on the team. He's at least not a scrub on defense.

In the playoffs, no question Butler has been their best player, but Pau has outperformed Rose by a significant level. Not only offensively (PER) but defensively. At the very least, I would consider Pau 1b on this Bulls' team.

Rose is nowhere near Pau's level anymore.

Did you really just say that Pau is the most impactful defender on the bulls??

Very good NBA starter

Gasol is better than either Malone or Barkley.
    stop it

If I'm starting a team, I take Malone and Barkley over Gasol in a nanosecond. They had much better peaks and I think they were just better players, despite Gasol winning rings. They were true alpha dogs and the type of players you can build around. At best, I would say Gasol is a 2nd fiddle on a championship team. He just didn't have the consistent defense or was strong/tough enough to consistently carry your team offensively and defensively, something required for truly great big men.

Tolerant Liberals

Quote Originally Posted by ClipperRevival
    If I'm starting a team, I take Malone and Barkley over Gasol in a nanosecond. They had much better peaks and I think they were just better players, despite Gasol winning rings. They were true alpha dogs and the type of players you can build around. At best, I would say Gasol is a 2nd fiddle on a championship team. He just didn't have the consistent defense or was strong/tough enough to consistently carry your team offensively and defensively, something required for truly great big men.
    Sounds like an argument that fits kobe vs any player legit in the top 25. Kobe is not even a top 25 peak/impact player.

To be honest, id take malone/barkly/gasol over kobe if im starting a team too

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    Sounds like an argument that fits kobe vs any player legit in the top 25. Kobe is not even a top 25 peak/impact player.

You can argue that at his peak, Kobe was the greatest offensive perimeter player EVER. How in the world is his peak not up there?

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
    Did you really just say that Pau is the most impactful defender on the bulls??
    I said he's probably their most impactful player as the stats back it up. I said that he's at least not a scrub on defense this season.