Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Myth - Players, not Coaches win Championships

i don't understand why this myth persists. after what Pop demonstrated just last season, i would think it would be evident that coaches are more important to winning championships than players.

coaching trumped talent in the 14 Finals. that's the truth.

College superstar

Default Re: Myth - Players, not Coaches win Championships

both are myths. you need a steady balance of both to compete for titles.

i truly believe pop is the GOAT coach though. guy basically has a euroleague team dominating in the nba.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    i don't understand why this myth persists. after what Pop demonstrated just last season, i would think it would be evident that coaches are more important to winning championships than players.

coaching trumped talent in the 14 Finals. that's the truth.
    Picks the greatest finals demolitiojn of all time...itz was the coach, coach!@ laomafaomaf

You need both. Although its more about players talents, but coaching genius can turn bronze into gold and win against all odds, like Larry Brown in '04 or Pops.

Is the coach setting picks or hitting the jumper? I don't recall Pop posting up Lebron in the Finals.

Nah, a coach is only as good as his players. Ya'll think Pop or Phil can coach a team like say, Philly, to the title?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23
    Is the coach setting picks or hitting the jumper? I don't recall Pop posting up Lebron in the Finals.

Nah, a coach is only as good as his players. Ya'll think Pop or Phil can coach a team like say, Philly, to the title?
    Just as a team is only as good as its coach to a certain degree.

Quote Originally Posted by sportjames23

Literally no player by himself in NBA history is taking last year's Philly team to a title, so it's unfair to somehow use that against one coach.

I think it's pretty obvious that Pop was the Spurs' MVP last year. No one individual player on that team has a bigger impact on what they do and the success they had last season than Pop. You can replace every player on that team some way or some form and still win a championship. There is literally one coach, maybe two that approach Pop's ability as a coach, and even then you're almost certainly not winning it all.

If we're gonna compare one coach to his entire roster of players...obviously. But elite coaches can have just as much impact as star players..obviously excluding all time talents like Jordan, Magic, Bird, Shaq Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Durant, etc.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

I completely disagree. Coaches can be the difference between teams, and can increase the production of their team greatly, but the players are far more important and I can sum it up in what I hope to be a pretty easy way:

If you put all of the personnel in the NBA into a pot and have a draft when does Pop go?

Granted in this scenario there is no one left to make the selections... I didn't think this through. But I would wager that Pop would be selected after the franchise making players.

Very good NBA starter

Eric Spoelstra the sole reason behind Heat's championships too?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
    I completely disagree. Coaches can be the difference between teams, and can increase the production of their team greatly, but the players are far more important and I can sum it up in what I hope to be a pretty easy way:

If you put all of the personnel in the NBA into a pot and have a draft when does Pop go?

Granted in this scenario there is no one left to make the selections... I didn't think this through. But I would wager that Pop would be selected after the franchise making players.
    I think OP meant players on the team as a whole, not an individual player.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP

I dont think you're giving them nearly enough credit. Lose Pop for McHale, Mark Jackson, Mikes Woodson or Brown, hell another dozen or two coaches and the Spurs probably don't even make it to the Finals, much less win it.

On the other hand, switch Tony Parker with John Wall or a number of other PGs last year and I think Spurs could still have a ring. With Al Jefferson or Marc Gasol instead of Timmy, Spurs have a ring last year. 2014 Spurs with Scotty Brooks? I don't think so.

And to answer your draft question, I sure hope you'd take Pop real early in a draft. Pop has 18 seasons with a .600 or better record. Only one losing season EVER.
    Last edited by oarabbus; 10-23-2014 at 03:20 AM.

How do Durant and Westbrook continue to win so many games with arguably the worst coach in the league and average role players?

It blows my ****ing mind.

They are the two best players in the world. If you don't think so then you simply just DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BASKETBALL. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    How do Durant and Westbrook continue to win so many games with arguably the worst coach in the league and average role players?

It blows my ****ing mind.

They are the two best players in the world. If you don't think so then you simply just DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BASKETBALL. Period.
    did i stutter, or do you just suck at reading?

did i say "games" or did i say CHAMPIONSHIPS

yeah that's right. read fool!

how many times have i seen you say OKC will never win a championship as long as Brooks is the coach?

fkn retard.

great players can take your team to the Finals, but only a true coach can get you over that bump.

Quote Originally Posted by I<3NBA
    did i stutter, or do you just suck at reading?

did i say "games" or did i say CHAMPIONSHIPS

yeah that's right. read fool!

how many times have i seen you say OKC will never win a championship as long as Brooks is the coach?

fkn retard.
    What? I didn't even read the OP. My post wasn't a direct response to you, it was a free thought that sorta relates to the thread title.

You think I was being sarcastic or something?

Pat Riley is a great example of coaches win championship. And Scott Brook is a great example of great players do not win championships

But C'mon now, Rick Carlisle, Phil, Pop, are capable coaches that take good role players to championship