Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Have any of you guys played against an NBA player?

Prob played against a lot throughout AAU and high school. Some notable ones:

Melo
    Dajuan Wagner
    JR Smith
    Deng
    Villanueva
    Taquean Dean
    Randy Foye
    Allen Raye
    Andrew Bynum

YES!!!!!! When I was 9 I played with a player who was in the NBA for a little bit. I don't remember his name. But this was in Vegas at that famous hotel. It was him and I verse two regular dudes. We LOST! The guy even dunked but it just goes to show how 1 NBA player can't always beat 2 regular guys.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    Prob played against a lot throughout AAU and high school. Some notable ones:

Melo
    Dajuan Wagner
    JR Smith
    Deng
    Villanueva
    Taquean Dean
    Randy Foye
    Allen Raye
    Andrew Bynum

Hey how dominant was Melo when you played against him? Was it like a man among boys type of domination? I would imagine the same thing with JR Smith.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kovach
    Oh cool, do you happen to follow local basketball? I'm wondering how Miljan Rakic is doing over there now playing for Jaszberenyi, he is a childhood friend of mine. :)
    No, not really. But if you tell me what you are interested in, I can make a quick search and a few translations for you. I'm more or less fluent in Hungarian.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    Hey how dominant was Melo when you played against him? Was it like a man among boys type of domination? I would imagine the same thing with JR Smith.
    It was hard guarding Melo because he was so strong. You could beat him to the spot and he would just bounce off you. Then it was even tougher because he had a ton of spin moves and stuff.

JR was tough because he shoot so well. But it wasn't the same kind of physical domination. He used to get dunked on a decent amount when he was younger, also used to miss a lot of dunks.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    It was hard guarding Melo because he was so strong. You could beat him to the spot and he would just bounce off you. Then it was even tougher because he had a ton of spin moves and stuff.

JR was tough because he shoot so well. But it wasn't the same kind of physical domination. He used to get dunked on a decent amount when he was younger, also used to miss a lot of dunks.
    Damn that sucks man with the Melo thing. That's the most frustrating part to me. Just knowing that you yourself are skilled and all that, but your opponent is just that much more stronger than you are.

How about Bynum? How did his post game look back then? I know it has come a long way in the NBA, but how about back then? Did you see anything that told you he'd become a force in the NBA? When I heard Rashard say he was going pro I pretty much figured we'd draft him (Rockets) and he'd end up playing SF, but being a mediocre role player. Never thought I'd see him put up 50+ point in a single game. He didn't suck, but I just didn't see it back then.

Learning to shoot layups NickTheQuick31's Avatar

Played against Luke Schenscher (Aussie, NBA Scrub) when I was 17....he was almost 7 foot then and I think I was about 5'5.

Played in a game a few years back that was coached by a former NBA player Kevin Brooks. Brooks was a legend here, teaming with Darnell Mee to help our Pro team win back to back titles. I loved KB, and played probably the worst game of my life!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Exlax
    Damn that sucks man with the Melo thing. That's the most frustrating part to me. Just knowing that you yourself are skilled and all that, but your opponent is just that much more stronger than you are.

How about Bynum? How did his post game look back then? I know it has come a long way in the NBA, but how about back then? Did you see anything that told you he'd become a force in the NBA? When I heard Rashard say he was going pro I pretty much figured we'd draft him (Rockets) and he'd end up playing SF, but being a mediocre role player. Never thought I'd see him put up 50+ point in a single game. He didn't suck, but I just didn't see it back then.
    I actually started getting recruited by schools after a game I had against Bynum. He was smaller back then tho(6"6). We used to also be on the same AAU team except he played in the younger version. He had OK moves but was nothing special athletically or skill wise. Just a good post player who might have had a shot at D1. Then he grow up to 7 feet tall.

I played kobe in the summer of 06. I embarrassed him pretty bad tbh, crossed him up a few times. After getting dunked on for the second time, he caught feelings and started whining about fouls so I slapped him and told him to gtfo the court. Not a good day for the kobester. I am planning to do the same thing to lebron this summer, this time I will get it all on camera because people dont seem to believe this story when I tell them.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    I played kobe in the summer of 06. I embarrassed him pretty bad tbh, crossed him up a few times. After getting dunked on for the second time, he caught feelings and started whining about fouls so I slapped him and told him to gtfo the court. Not a good day for the kobester. I am planning to do the same thing to lebron this summer, this time I will get it all on camera because people dont seem to believe this story when I tell them.
    What's so hard to believe here? That there are some people on a basketball message board who actually did play basketball (some of them 20+ years ago)?

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Tim Hardaway, Mike Bibby, Mike Dickerson, Chris Webber, Lindsey Hunter and Kenny Thomas.

Only one I guarded was Dickerson...dude could shoot then if u got to close he would go by you and be well above rim level in a heartbeat. I played all theses guys in their prime or rookie years and glad i didnt have to guard the PGs...playing half ass making people fall all over the place. Tim Hardaway shot knuckleballs and rarely missed...strong as hell too. Webber by far the scariest shit I seen live while on the same court....he was destroying a player from overseas. Kenny Thomas was still in high school not very good. Went to college matured into his body and was killing people crazy transformation from a timid kid to a strong physical player.

RETIRED, ISH 2008-2013 willds09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calabis
    Tim Hardaway, Mike Bibby, Mike Dickerson, Chris Webber, Lindsey Hunter and Kenny Thomas.

Only one I guarded was Dickerson...dude could shoot then if u got to close he would go by you and be well above rim level in a heartbeat. I played all theses guys in their prime or rookie years and glad i didnt have to guard the PGs...playing half ass making people fall all over the place. Tim Hardaway shot knuckleballs and rarely missed...strong as hell too. Webber by far the scariest shit I seen live while on the same court....he was destroying a player from overseas. Kenny Thomas was still in high school not very good. Went to college matured into his body and was killing people crazy transformation from a timid kid to a strong physical player.
    Dickerson was nice on tha grizzlies especially live 99 for ps1, good memories

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by willds09
    Dickerson was nice on tha grizzlies especially live 99 for ps1, good memories
    What's crazy is that I was a pretty good defender...did well against several D1 guys who got tryouts in NBA. He was just fvcking hard to guard...jumping ability made it even harder. He had deep ass range..then was explosive when going to the basket...strong too. Makes u think what the hell guys like Kobe, Wade would do to you. I was 6'4 205 at the time...so its not like I was some short dude getting towered over.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

I once drove a limo for Eddy Curry

Very good NBA starter Orlando Magic's Avatar

No but I remember hearing about Anthony Bowie coming to a local college (FIT of Melbourne FL) and wrecking everyone back in the mid 90s when he was barely playing for the Magic and considered a scrub on the NBA level.

Shaq as well at FIT while playing for the Magic.
    Last edited by Orlando Magic; 03-22-2013 at 11:05 AM.