Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-15-2016, 11:58 PM   #481
Pointguard
5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Is Isiah Thomas overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsilv
The spurs first and second titles were "grit" by any measure you can think of...
They were definitely very close. They were probably the best frontcourt in the league in the first run, which was in a freak shortened year. They could go over the top of most teams so they didn't have to out hustle or out tough teams throughout the year. Things were weird that year. My Knicks were a grit team and we thought it was one of our not so good teams. There was the strike and no team looked good that year.

SA didn't run into a much of a good team in that whole playoffs. But Mario Elie, and Malik Rose as the grit they were indeed among the toughest at their positions but its hard to lead a team from the peripheral. People still talk about How Avery took leadership of that team. And he was nowhere near the level that Isiah was on. Malik and Jackson as the grit in the second run. But their execution was really good. It was unbalanced as far as Duncan having too much of the weight, but that team had consistent deep (seriously 12 deep) contributions all bench complimented each other, 3 very skilled consistent shooters in Smith, Bowen, Kerr, two very good penetrators in Claxton and Parker, with great Duncan play, all of which hustle and bustle teams rarely have.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 12:06 AM   #482
dhsilv
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointguard
They were definitely very close. They were probably the best frontcourt in the league in the first run, which was in a freak shortened year. They could go over the top of most teams so they didn't have to out hustle or out tough teams throughout the year. Things were weird that year. My Knicks were a grit team and we thought it was one of our not so good teams. There was the strike and no team looked good that year.

SA didn't run into a much of a good team in that whole playoffs. But Mario Elie, and Malik Rose as the grit they were indeed among the toughest at their positions but its hard to lead a team from the peripheral. People still talk about How Avery took leadership of that team. And he was nowhere near the level that Isiah was on. Malik and Jackson as the grit in the second run. But their execution was really good. It was unbalanced as far as Duncan having too much of the weight, but that team had consistent deep (seriously 12 deep) contributions all bench complimented each other, 3 very skilled consistent shooters in Smith, Bowen, Kerr, two very good penetrators in Claxton and Parker, with great Duncan play, all of which hustle and bustle teams rarely have.

Bowen wasn't on that team....Kerr played 8 minutes a game in the playoffs and was the 9th spur in minutes, 12? They only played 7 guys in each playoff game. There was also no smith. No parker. No claxton?

I point most of this out in part because you keep bringing up your memory of a series from the 80's 25+ years ago for why a player is so great, yet you can't remember the 99 finals with YOUR team in it.
dhsilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #483
Pointguard
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsilv
Bowen wasn't on that team....Kerr played 8 minutes a game in the playoffs and was the 9th spur in minutes, 12? They only played 7 guys in each playoff game. There was also no smith. No parker. No claxton?

I point most of this out in part because you keep bringing up your memory of a series from the 80's 25+ years ago for why a player is so great, yet you can't remember the 99 finals with YOUR team in it.
learning to read would help solve a lot of your problems. Or maybe you don't know what second run means? Or you're probably drunk. I point out most of this in totality because you're impeccable in getting things wrong. But with any type of thinking you should have caught yourself as I had other transitions in there as well. Interpreting a game is really going to be hard if two paragraphs (should have been three) is going to bug you out. I see why you need stats.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:24 AM   #484
Stringer Bell
Local High School Star

I don't think it's Isiah being overrated so much as the depth of that team is underrated. Isiah was undoubtedly the leader of that team, maybe he was the engine that made the car go, but the car was equipped. Their talent outside of their two best guys (Thomas and Dumars) was terrific and they had an excellent bench. That bench helped Detroit almost come back from a 15 point deficit of game 7 in the 88' Finals.
Stringer Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:11 AM   #485
houston
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell
I don't think it's Isiah being overrated so much as the depth of that team is underrated. Isiah was undoubtedly the leader of that team, maybe he was the engine that made the car go, but the car was equipped. Their talent outside of their two best guys (Thomas and Dumars) was terrific and they had an excellent bench. That bench helped Detroit almost come back from a 15 point deficit of game 7 in the 88' Finals.

Kinda like 2015 warriors or 2014 spurs
houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:34 AM   #486
Real14
2Willd & 2Fresh est.86

Isiah had 2/3 rings, wasn't allowed to play in Olympics cuz Jordan was hating on him, etc etc. Top 10 of all time too, stop hating kids.
Real14 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: