Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-08-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
Fire Colangelo
National High School Star

Default Is Isiah Thomas overrated?

He's often in top 3-5 PG discussion with Magic, Stockton, and Oscar.

Magic and Oscar are obviously revolutionized the point guard position and were the most dominant at the position. Stockton is there due to his longevity, why is Isiah rated so highly?

We talking about someone that's made a total of 5 All NBA teams in his career, and was in the top 5 for MVP voting once. For all the shit we give guys like Iverson and Kobe for being inefficient "chuckers", Isiah was about just as efficient as Iverson while taking 10 less shot attempts.

He's never led his team to any real success before his team got stacked, and once his team was stacked he was arguably not even the best player on his team. Not to mention he was probably the worst defender on a team that was known for their defense...

He had a good series against the Blazers in 90.... that's all I can think of when it comes to his career.

I'd comfortably take guys like Kidd, Payton, Paul, Nash over Isiah.
Fire Colangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #2
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Is Isiah Thomas overrated?

Great stats. Multiple 20/10 seasons. Led a team of role players past the likes of Bird, Magic, and Jordan. Played in the most competitive era, and won multiple rings.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #3
riseagainst
Laker Nation

He had a lot of heart. Alot of memorable playoff moments.
riseagainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:45 PM   #4
WorldWarriors
Decent college freshman

No.
WorldWarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
JohnnySic
I Insist

Isiah Thomas was better than Payton, Kidd, Nash, and Paul. Its not a stats thing, you had to have been there and watched him play.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
ClipperRevival
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo
He's often in top 3-5 PG discussion with Magic, Stockton, and Oscar.

Magic and Oscar are obviously revolutionized the point guard position and were the most dominant at the position. Stockton is there due to his longevity, why is Isiah rated so highly?

We talking about someone that's made a total of 5 All NBA teams in his career, and was in the top 5 for MVP voting once. For all the shit we give guys like Iverson and Kobe for being inefficient "chuckers", Isiah was about just as efficient as Iverson while taking 10 less shot attempts.

He's never led his team to any real success before his team got stacked, and once his team was stacked he was arguably not even the best player on his team. Not to mention he was probably the worst defender on a team that was known for their defense...

He had a good series against the Blazers in 90.... that's all I can think of when it comes to his career.

I'd comfortably take guys like Kidd, Payton, Paul, Nash over Isiah.

You must be a Wilt fan. Judging players based on their numbers. Jesus Christ people. You play to win, not put up nice stats. The guy was a killer, clutch as hell, a natural leader and won back to back titles in the toughest era EVER for GOAT level teams. Took down MJs Bulls, Bird's Celtics and Magic's Lakers.
ClipperRevival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #7
SouBeachTalents
Straight Cash Homie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Great stats. Multiple 20/10 seasons. Led a team of role players past the likes of Bird, Magic, and Jordan. Played in the most competitive era, and won multiple rings.

So many things wrong with this post I don't know where to being. No, he didn't lead his team past the likes of Bird & Magic, considering Bird missed nearly the entire season while Magic played 75 minutes total in the Finals. Secondly, to call that team a bunch of role players is a joke. Rodman was just coming into his peak and was easily one of the best defenders in the whole league. Not to mention Dumars who was putting up comparable production to Isiah on much better efficiency, while making the All-Defense First Team and winning Finals MVP. Dumars would have a solid argument as the Pistons best player that season
SouBeachTalents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #8
chocolatethunder
Great college starter

I was a Pistons hater when he played but straight up he's not even close to overrated. That team would have been nothing without him. He made that team tick. He was dirty as hell and as tough as anyone in the league. He could have been a 30ppg scorer but instead he sacrificed his scoring and set up his teammates and was damn good at it. Absolutely far from overrated and this is from a Sixer fan who is 43 and saw him play a ton in his prime. Nope. One of the best PGs ever easliy. Yes he was that good and then some.
chocolatethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #9
Young X
RIP P

Yes he is because of the titles. Individually he's not as impressive as some of the players that he gets ranked over.

Joe Dumars was nearly as important to those championship teams as Isiah and he gets nowhere near the amount of praise and credit that Thomas does.

People act like Isiah took down Bird, Magic, Kareem and MJ by himself and that's nowhere close to being true but it keeps getting repeated.

I've seen people say he's the 2nd best PG in history. I really don't see how you can make that argument unless you just ring count. And even if that's the case, how do you rank him over Bob Cousy who had 6 rings?
Young X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:13 PM   #10
Kawhi
Local High School Star

He's more underrated, than overrated. It cost Isiah that he wasn't as liked as Magic, and it cost him that the Bad Boys had the bad rep.
Kawhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #11
chocolatethunder
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young X
Yes he is because of the titles. Individually he's not as impressive as some of the players that he gets ranked over.

Joe Dumars was nearly as important to those championship teams as Isiah and he gets nowhere near the amount of praise and credit that Thomas does.

People act like Isiah took down Bird, Magic, Kareem and MJ by himself and that's nowhere close to being true but it keeps getting repeated.

I've seen people say he's the 2nd best PG in history. I really don't see how you can make that argument unless you just ring count. And even if that's the case, how do you rank him over Bob Cousy who had 6 rings?
How old are you and did you see him play when you were alive and understand contextually the type of player he was?
chocolatethunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #12
Fire Colangelo
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySic
Isiah Thomas was better than Payton, Kidd, Nash, and Paul. Its not a stats thing, you had to have been there and watched him play.

And I have.

Tell me, what does he do better than Payton, Kidd, Nash and Paul other than "heart"? Was he better offensively? Defensively?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClipperRevival

You must be a Wilt fan. Judging players based on their numbers. Jesus Christ people. You play to win, not put up nice stats. The guy was a killer, clutch as hell, a natural leader and won back to back titles in the toughest era EVER for GOAT level teams. Took down MJs Bulls, Bird's Celtics and Magic's Lakers.

I must be a Wilt fan? No, I'm just an objective poster without a freaking agenda.

You're one of those sheeps that does nothing but count rings. That's nice and all, but without context rings mean nothing.

Lol'd at bolded, they beat a baby Bulls team with Pippen still developing, Bird-less Celtics, and a Lakers team with an injured Magic.

Some GOAT level competition right there.

Once Pippen developed into a legit all star type player, they were no match for MJ and the Bulls.
Fire Colangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #13
ShawkFactory
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
So many things wrong with this post I don't know where to being. No, he didn't lead his team past the likes of Bird & Magic, considering Bird missed nearly the entire season while Magic played 75 minutes total in the Finals. Secondly, to call that team a bunch of role players is a joke. Rodman was just coming into his peak and was easily one of the best defenders in the whole league. Not to mention Dumars who was putting up comparable production to Isiah on much better efficiency, while making the All-Defense First Team and winning Finals MVP. Dumars would have a solid argument as the Pistons best player that season
And they added Aguirre who averaged 25 and 26 points per game the previous two seasons.

But you never hear people talk about how Isaiah cratered teammates' production
ShawkFactory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #14
Kawhi
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo
Once Pippen developed into a legit all star type player, they were no match for MJ and the Bulls.
This is just some nonsense. The Pistons were old. Not necessarily in age, but in fatigue. They had long, incredible runs. 87, 88, 89, 90, 91. They had given everything they had in that span. It wasn't a surprise that Isiah was done at just age 32, when he tore his achilles.
Kawhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #15
TheMarkMadsen
15x all nba legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young X

Oh look another "winning doesn't matter" post.

He's better than Paul, he's on a different level as a competitor.

You brought up Dumars, so I guess we should bring up Blake Griffin to downplay Chris Paul's success.. That is.. If he had any success to downplay.

People really need to stop acting like winning isn't important. This is reaching ridiculous levels.
TheMarkMadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: