Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Local High School Star KirbyPls's Avatar

Default Lebron's mid-range game: improving?

Old heads and legit basketball fans,

Not sure of the numbers this year, but Lebron seems to be improving his post to mid-range jumper. For guys that know (and actually watch) the game for the game itself, do you guys think he is making legitimate progress in trying to add that shot to his game? If so, will he get there in terms of lengthening his prime/effectiveness? He looks like he is consciously trying to change his game. I'm just looking for opinions here.

Decent college freshman theaussieguy's Avatar

Default Re: Lebron's mid-range game: improving?

I have watched his last 3 games and all I can say is that midrange jumper is looking money at the minute.

he was better the last 2 years imo tbh

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 1987_Lakers's Avatar

It has been pretty good since 2013.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

I think it has improved. Oddly enough, he was 5/6 from mid range against the Rockets, but 3/11 from free throws. How does that happen?

But yeah it does seem like he's made a consistent effort this year and his step back has been money as of late. I think he's doing this to preserve his body for the playoffs and not have to attack every possession. It's also one of the reasons his FG% is nowhere near what it was in Miami

Nah, I dont think so

Kobe Stan

No it hasn't improved. I don't think it's better than any of his Miami years.

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    I think it has improved. Oddly enough, he was 5/6 from mid range against the Rockets, but 3/11 from free throws. How does that happen?

But yeah it does seem like he's made a consistent effort this year and his step back has been money as of late. I think he's doing this to preserve his body for the playoffs and not have to attack every possession. It's also one of the reasons his FG% is nowhere near what it was in Miami
    Don't have TV, so I can only catch highlights, and I think your analysis is correct, but it seems like he is trying to add that dimension as a pillar of his game now; although I agree with IMKobe, it seemed better the last two years. I hope he is transitioning his game, as it's the only way he can stay relevant (or as relevant as he hopes to be) for multiple seasons (3-6) after this.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLurk
    No it hasn't improved. I don't think it's better than any of his Miami years.
    It wasn't all that solid his first year in Miami, do you think it will improve as the team becomes more fluid and comfortable with each other? I watched quite a few Miami games (cable then), and it seemed he had more transition baskets and didn't re;y on the mid-range as much. Could be confirmation bias of course.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KirbyPls
    Don't have TV, so I can only catch highlights, and I think your analysis is correct, but it seems like he is trying to add that dimension as a pillar of his game now; although I agree with IMKobe, it seemed better the last two years. I hope he is transitioning his game, as it's the only way he can stay relevant (or as relevant as he hopes to be) for multiple seasons (3-6) after this.
    Yeah I'm not sure of all the #'s, but I do believe he's taking more mid range jumpers this year vs. last. I'm not sure if his % is higher because he was having trouble with his J before the 2 week break. Lately, his mid range has seemed to be as good as I've ever seen it for him.

It wasn't all that solid his first year in Miami, do you think it will improve as the team becomes more fluid and comfortable with each other? I watched quite a few Miami games (cable then), and it seemed he had more transition baskets and didn't re;y on the mid-range as much. Could be confirmation bias of course.
    His jump shot wasn't that good in 2011 and 2012, he shot like around 20% outside the paint in the 2012 Finals and he was still being dared to shoot wide open jump shots in the 2013 Finals...

His shot really improved in 2013, when his FG% and 3PT% skyrocketed, he had a similar year in 2014. His shot hasn't been that good this year, especially when you expect him to go to the post or shoot a contested J in crunch time.

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    His jump shot wasn't that good in 2011 and 2012, he shot like around 20% outside the paint in the 2012 Finals and he was still being dared to shoot wide open jump shots in the 2013 Finals...

His shot really improved in 2013, when his FG% and 3PT% skyrocketed, he had a similar year in 2014. His shot hasn't been that good this year, especially when you expect him to go to the post or shoot a contested J in crunch time.
    I think you do appreciate the game, but Lebron's crunch time credentials notwithstanding, I am just asking if people think he is: 1) consciously trying to change/adapt his game; and 2) whether he can get there.

He's not GOAT, I'm just trying to take the temperature of peeps who have watched more ball than I have. Anyway, thanks for your opinion, seriously. P.S., I agree about the post, he reaches his apex when he operates down there consistently, even if it's not as pretty as MJ/Kobe.

Quote Originally Posted by AnaheimLakers24
    Nah, I dont think so
    end thread

Currently? Its about the same as his 2013 Heat days... I would really prefer him to continuously drive into the lane ala 2012 Finals but he's pretty wet from mid range now. The key is staying consistent.

I think you do appreciate the game, but Lebron's crunch time credentials notwithstanding, I am just asking if people think he is: 1) consciously trying to change/adapt his game; and 2) whether he can get there.

He's not GOAT, I'm just trying to take the temperature of peeps who have watched more ball than I have. Anyway, thanks for your opinion, seriously. P.S., I agree about the post, he reaches his apex when he operates down there consistently, even if it's not as pretty as MJ/Kobe.
    Yeah he is obviously trying to improve his shot and his post game to be more effective in his 30s as his athletic abilities start evaporating.

And he certainly can get there if he puts his mind to it, but we'll see.

I am a little shocked about how he went away from playing point-forward at the 4 spot though, he was a lot more effective playing in the post. I think we might see this again in the coming years with Irving slowly transitioning into the playmaker role under Lebron's tutelage.