Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    More like Matt Boner HB40TheNextStar's Avatar

Default Re: Michael Jordan average 30.4 ppg at age 33

I don't get how a season ending injury is a good thing as far as rest goes. You kind of need to rehab, among other things.

are we really comparing an 82 game season to 12 games?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsGame
    Well then check out 3PA and FTA as well. Or his WS.

You also need to remember that you are comparing a whole season to a few good games by someone. Very fair comparison there bud.

What do 3PAs have to do with anything other than FG%?

Kobe's been doing well getting to the line so far, shooting about one and a half more free throws than Jordan did.

WS? Win Shares? Come on now son.

I agree, it's silly to compare 12 games to a full season, so we'll see. Perhaps Kobe will end up with better numbers after his wrist heals. Perhaps he'll shoot less 3's and raise his FG% even more.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad

What do 3PAs have to do with anything other than FG%?

Kobe's been doing well getting to the line so far, shooting about one and a half more free throws than Jordan did.

WS? Win Shares? Come on now son.

I agree, it's silly to compare 12 games to a full season, so we'll see. Perhaps Kobe will end up with better numbers after his wrist heals. Perhaps he'll shoot less 3's and raise his FG% even more.

Well then..if we're comparing...then after the first 12 games of MJ's 1997 season....he went for 36.0ppg on 50.4%FG in his next 7 games....let's see if Kobe can match that.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Michael Jordan also played with a guy named Scottie Pippen in 97 who was a true 2nd option and a first option on most teams. Kobe plays with Bynum and Gasol who aren't exactly as consistent as Scottie and his 20.2ppg average.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HB40TheNextStar
    I don't get how a season ending injury is a good thing as far as rest goes. You kind of need to rehab, among other things.
    Didn't he came back early too?

Regardless, I think the whole milage vs age + retirement thing might be silly.

As I said in another thread, even when Michael Jordan came back from his 1st retirement, he had to get back into basketball shape. He only average 26.9 ppg on 41.1% shooting. He needed time to get back into basketball shape and get his instincts back. I highly doubt he would perform like that if he never retired.

And look at Magic Johnson when he tried to comeback. He was only 36 and he had a five year retirement. Even though he played PF, he wasn't the same player. A 31/32 year old Magic Johnson who played in the Olympics would play better than a 36 comeback Magic. And Magic Johnson would probably play much better if he never retired.

Now imagine Magic being 38/39 years old trying to make a comeback? Jordan did that, and he didn't do so well. He didn't have the athleticism, he didn't have the stamina, and he was more prone to injuries. He had to work himself back to shape, which is probably harder to do when you are older. Especially when you had no plans of returning back to pro basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    i dont see how kobes first 9 years worth of mileage has anything to do with him averaging 30ppg in his 16th year

he has 16 years of mileage

not 9

sixteen
    lol
    that's all you have .. his mileage .. lol smh .. the guy has great conditioning .. ok so he's better than jordan

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    Well then..if we're comparing...then after the first 12 games of MJ's 1997 season....he went for 36.0ppg on 50.4%FG in his next 7 games....let's see if Kobe can match that.
    Lol why 7 games?

Imagine for a second that Kobe does average 30.0PPG for the season with a f*cked up wrist. Anarchy will explode in the Kobe vs. Jordan threads.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by juju151111
    Why does this matter? MJ is regarded has the Goat and Kobe is somewhere in top 7-10 al-time. 33 year old Kobe matching 33 year old MJ means noting. MJ stats,Mvps,defense,FMVps,playoffs stats etc... Destroys Kobe. Lol I.don't get why these kobetards are going crazy.
    You ran so quick in this thread with Jordan's c*ck in your mouth, you didn't even realize a Kobe hater is the OP.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by dude77
    that's all you have .. his mileage .. lol smh .. the guy has great conditioning .. ok so he's better than jordan
    when youre in your 16th season, most of your athleticism is gone, so your entire game is based on skill, kobes skill>>>>>jordan. How many points was jordan dropping in his 15th season when most of his athleticism was gone? now compare that to kobe who has more mileage and less athleticism to begin with

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Imagine for a second that Kobe does average 30.0PPG for the season with a f*cked up wrist. Anarchy will explode in the Kobe vs. Jordan threads.
    Oh c'mon. His wrist is fine at this point. Kobe is playing well. Leave it at that. Let's not be a bunch of little drama queens.

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
    Lol why 7 games?

Why not?? You guys are using 12.

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23
    Why not?? You guys are using 12.
    Meh. Fair Enough.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Oh c'mon. His wrist is fine at this point. Kobe is playing well. Leave it at that. Let's not be a bunch of little drama queens.
    Tell that to Kobe Homers.