Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default How Many Steps Can You Take before it's A Travel?

Me, and a friend had a debate about this. I told him that it's 3, meaning you can take 3 steps, and one more step(4) is a travel. He told me it was two steps, and then if you take 3, it's a travel. What's the verdict? How many steps can you take before you get off the ground?

Serious playground baller nicknamefrank's Avatar

Default Re: How Many Steps Can You Take before it's A Travel?

Your friend wins
    It's 2 steps, and then you have to jump
    3 steps is a travel

Local High School Star Skyscraper's Avatar

should be one step. but two step is accepted norm. but some NBA guys do 3 all the time, no call, such BS. if you play pick up game, if breakaway and you do three steps and some ******* calls you on it, punch his crybaby face

I usually hit open layups Styl3zT's Avatar

its two steps.... Your third step is a travel. Unless your pulling a "pro/superstar" hop.

the fighting mongooses Miller Time's Avatar

it's 2, at all levels of play. 2 steps. /thread.

Banned

Wow....Gilbert, and Big Z take three steps all the time.

Oh well, thanks for the info.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by nicknamefrank
    Your friend wins
    It's 2 steps, and then you have to jump
    3 steps is a travel
    YES 2 STEPS ,but more are allowed in the NBA. I have no problem on a breakaway ,but I simply shake my head when players run,hop, & then skip straight pass a defender to the hoop.

Palming the ball(carrying) is incessant in todays game also. But don't hate the players hate the game. It's allowed. I remember some NBA stars especially Wade having trouble with carrying in the Olympics & baffled when it was called against him.

Local High School Star

Depends on the name on the back of your jersey.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    Depends on the name on the back of your jersey.
    BINGO.

My Pimp Hand Is Lethal Wonder Bread Kid's Avatar

I have no problem with any ref missing a three step when it's too fast or in an area too crowded for the ref to see. I can't stand travels done that are just clear as day from not only a fans POV on TV but also to the ref.

A lot of stuff the refs just can't see due to whatever, and just because the fan is privileged with replays, the refs aren't and they have to call stuff in real time and get one shot at it. It's damn tough and they get more flake and sh!t than they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Comeback
    Wow....Gilbert, and Big Z take three steps all the time.

Oh well, thanks for the info.
    The problem is that if a player catches the ball during a step (where the foot is on the way down but hasn't made contact with the ground), then the refs ignore that and usually let the player take two more, even though this shouldn't happen.

It's pretty annoying because its such an easy call to make, yet referees just won't call it.

I don't even know why the players do it. Growing up, i know that once the ball touched your hand from the dribble, you have two steps then you jump, shoot, or pass. I find it extremely awkward to take one or three steps from the dribble.

The only way these current players (Lebron/Wade) travel so much is because they probably weren't officiated well and got away with travels all the time.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

NBA Rules:

Section XIV-Traveling
    a. A player who receives the ball while standing still may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
    b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.
    The first count occurs:
    (1) As he receives the ball, if either foot is touching the floor at the time he receives it.
    (2) As the foot touches the floor, or as both feet touch the floor simultane- ously after he receives the ball, if both feet are off the floor when he receives it.
    The second occurs:
    (1) After the count of one when either foot touches the floor, or both feet touch the floor simultaneously.
    c. A player who comes to a stop on the count of one may pivot, using either foot as the pivot foot.
    d. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with one foot in advance of the other, may pivot using only the rear foot as the pivot foot.
    e. A player who comes to a stop on the count of two, with neither foot in advance of the other, may use either foot as the pivot foot.
    f. In starting a dribble after (1) receiving the ball while standing still, or (2) coming to a legal stop, the ball must be out of the player's hand before the pivot foot is raised off the floor.
    g. If a player, with the ball in his possession, raises his pivot foot off the floor, he must pass or shoot before his pivot foot returns to the floor. If he drops the ball while in the air, he may not be the first to touch the ball.
    h. A player who falls to the floor while holding the ball, or while coming to a stop, may not gain an advantage by sliding.
    i. A player who attempts a field goal may not be the first to touch the ball if it fails to touch the backboard, basket ring or another player.
    PENALTY: Loss of ball. The ball is awarded to the opposing team at the sideline, nearest spot of the violation but no nearer the baseline than the foul line extended.
    In short, two steps.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Showtime
    The problem is that if a player catches the ball during a step (where the foot is on the way down but hasn't made contact with the ground), then the refs ignore that and usually let the player take two more, even though this shouldn't happen.
    exactly...that is where the discrepancy comes in. In Europe its is simply allowed and encouraged to take that extra half step though.