Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Official Toronto Blue Jays Discussion 2013

what happened with Lawrie?
    Just did a search and came up with nothing.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by bluerap
    what happened with Lawrie?
    Just did a search and came up with nothing.
    0-4 with 4 strikeouts (and a walk) today in a AAA game. Only one game but still adds to a shitty day.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Draft disaster somewhat averted. No Bickford but Brentz and Tellez get signed. Whoever is advising high school kids to turn down almost $3 million (assuming slot value) is a moron.

I don't mind that Bickford passed. Kind of glad about it (next year's draft is supposedly much stronger). However, not signing Beede in the last year of the old CBA could prove costly. He is projected to be a Top 5 pick, and in most mock drafts, a top 3 pick.

Brentz and Tellez were seen as tough signs, and them signing really saved the draft...

Decent college freshman Dr.Funk's Avatar

Unless there is an extension I don't see the point.

I heard one of the commentators saying that Lawrie to second was to boost his trade value. (Why else play him at 2B and Cesar at 3B)

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote Originally Posted by bluerap
    Unless there is an extension I don't see the point.
    I agree. And even then, do you really want to extend a 30-year old Matt Garza?

I really hope the Jays don't get desperate and go after rental players for this season. The playoffs are a pipe dream right now, IMO.

Exactly what I said, I see no point in that trade.

If I am the Jays, I'm a big time seller at this point. Problem is, who are you gonna sell off?

Jays can't trade Dickey, won't get anything close to what they paid for him.
    Josh Johnson won't fetch much, plus I think Josh Johnson will have a decision to make next year. Either accept the $12 million to rebuild his value, or if someone actually offers him a lot. He goes via FA and gets Toronto a first round pick.
    Buerhle, owed $19 million next year and the year after, good luck moving him.

I'd be looking to move Janssen, Oliver, Cecil and Delabar if they fetch us any value. I think if you package them, you may be able to buy low on a player (like Rasmus).

Personally, I would hate to go the Marlins way, but would it be such a bad idea to start thinking of trading Jose Bautista, Jose Reyes and Edwin Encarnacion? I know this is a team that was built with a 3 year window in mind; but this ballclub doesn't seem like it's that close...

Serious playground baller DJMason's Avatar

Before we talk blowing the whole damn team up, I recommend headinv over to Grantland and reading the article on the Bosox retool for this year after a disappointing 2011 & 2012. Basically they made wise acquisitions and jetisoned the shyte contracts while keeping the legit core together.

We should be a mixture of buying and selling and certainly shouldn't just throw the next two seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMason
    Before we talk blowing the whole damn team up, I recommend headinv over to Grantland and reading the article on the Bosox retool for this year after a disappointing 2011 & 2012. Basically they made wise acquisitions and jetisoned the shyte contracts while keeping the legit core together.

We should be a mixture of buying and selling and certainly shouldn't just throw the next two seasons.
    I think age is a factor as well. My question would be, what is our legit core? Bautista, Reyes, Edwin and perhaps Rasmus? I would say Lawrie is too, but this is his second straight down year. That still leaves us with catcher, second base, first base/DH and LF (Melky).

Even if we fix our hitting somewhat, starting pitching is the real problem. We have invested heavily in Dickey and Buehrle. I would love to get rid of Buehrle, just don't know who will take that contract off our hands and with that, he will be out there every 5 days. Once again, Josh Johnson will have a decision to make, but eventually, I do think some NL team will pay him. Then you have Ricky Romero (who had his 4th straight quality start today) and Brandon Morrow who have their spot penciled in. Also Happ, Hutchison, Rogers, Drabek etc all battling for the fifth spot. Pretty much what I'm trying to get at is that we're going to go into next season with pretty much the same team.

I think AA had a great opportunity in the off season two years ago. Darvish + Fielder. That should have been the target. Even if they didn't get Fielder, cause I thought his contract was too much, Darvish should have been a must. All it would have cost us was money, no prospects, no draft picks...

Decent college freshman RapsFan's Avatar

What is the problem with keeping this team together and adding more to it? Do we know that payroll is an issue or something?

As a more casual fan then some on here admittedly, I don't want to yet again sell off. Baseball has it figured out that's for sure. Get fans to believe in hope.....obsessed with 'what ifs' from the farm system. All of a sudden you're the Pirates and Royals and 20 years go by with nothing to show for it.

Serious playground baller DJMason's Avatar

The Bosox core isn't exactly young either, and Pedroia is an injury waiting to happen.

IMO you keep Dickey, both Jose's, Edwin & Lind as your core with Cecil & Delebar as my only almost untouchable bullpen arms and Rasmus being a fringe core piece with Gose regressing and my uncertainty as to what you'd even get for him.

There is no reason that with a few tweaks similar to what Boston did this year and the lack of epically bad early-season baseball thatbwe can't right this ship in 2014.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

There is no need to blow it up. The goal will be to contend for 2014 and 2015 with this core.

The only players I'd look to move are Johnson (obviously), Janssen, Oliver, Lind and see if you can sell high on a guy in AAA like Pillar. I'd move Gose too but his value is probably shit after how awful he's been this year. Oh and obviously look to move Buehrle too but good luck doing that unless you're picking up most of his contract.

[QUOTE=Dr.Funk]

Quote Originally Posted by RapsFan
    What is the problem with keeping this team together and adding more to it? Do we know that payroll is an issue or something?
    I don't know if there's anyone in FA besides maybe Cano, Choo, Pence & McCann that would help the Jays. And all of them will command major $$. Not sure the Jays will be spending anything more than they did this past year.

Also, I'm not buying Lind, I absolutely sell high on him if possible. He's reverted back to his old ways after a hot stretch...