Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: The Five Centers --- Russell, Kareem, Hakeem, Wilt, Shaq

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    Russ
    Wilt
    KAJ
    Shaq
    Naw, I see what you tried to do there.. Are you just as butthurt as Jlauber? Isn't the quote's you read and your google "knowledge" helping you when people question Wilt as a winner?

Great college starter

KAJ
    Duncan
    Shaq
    Hakeem
    DROB
    My top five big men ever in order Then there is a big gap for #6.

Local High School Star Vienceslav's Avatar

KAJ
    Shaq
    Wilt
    Russell
    The Dream

Again there is no excuse for not having KAJ at #1.

Quote Originally Posted by PHILA
    Russ
    Wilt
    KAJ
    Shaq
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    Haha, this guy is the biggest retard on ISH!

Read the title, it says top 5 centers and Mikan over any of these guys? Haha, get real...
    Mikan was far more dominant in his time than Hakeem. He is also far more historically important than Hakeem. You can compare his stats to Hakeem, and he would be blown away. But let's not forget the fact that the NBA was 6yrs old when he won his last chip. Base Mikan's accomplishments on his time's standards, not ours. Get real idiot...

Quote Originally Posted by millwad
    Haha, Big O and Erving...

"You need to retire from this board, go sit next to Bill Walton" - Chamillionaire

I know you're Jlauber's biggest fanboy but honestly, how does Big O and Erving have a case against Hakeem?
    Yup. You are indeed butthurt. You restort to personal attacks rather than destroying the argument. Who said Hakeem>Big O and Erving is a consensus?

Good High School Starter nycelt84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wade316
    Mikan was far more dominant in his time than Hakeem. He is also far more historically important than Hakeem. You can compare his stats to Hakeem, and he would be blown away. But let's not forget the fact that the NBA was 6yrs old when he won his last chip. Base Mikan's accomplishments on his time's standards, not ours. Get real idiot...
    The game already passed Mikan by in his last season as he could not adjust to the shot clock era. He even called Bill Russell the best basketball player ever while Russell was in college. Mikan himself knew when the game passed him by.

Quote Originally Posted by nycelt84
    The game already passed Mikan by in his last season as he could not adjust to the shot clock era. He even called Bill Russell the best basketball player ever while Russell was in college. Mikan himself knew when the game passed him by.
    Well, it's true that Russ>Mikan. You just can't punish him for playing before the 24 shot clock. As I said before, we must base his accomplishment in his time's standards. He is historically important as well, being the prototype of the giants that would follow his footsteps.

Good High School Starter nycelt84's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wade316
    Well, it's true that Russ>Mikan. You just can't punish him for playing before the 24 shot clock. As I said before, we must base his accomplishment in his time's standards. He is historically important as well, being the prototype of the giants that would follow his footsteps.
    Mikan did try playing in the shot clock era in the 55-56 season and it was not successful for him at all. The game clearly had passed him by but I do agree he is a legend and the prototype for all that followed.

Quote Originally Posted by nycelt84
    Mikan did try playing in the shot clock era in the 55-56 season and it was not successful for him at all. The game clearly had passed him by but I do agree he is a legend and the prototype for all that followed.
    He was 31 by that time. He was nowhere near his prime. Too many people are underrating him, even the old ones here.

Not airballing my layups anymore

1. Russell, 2. Kareem, 3. Shaq, 4. Hakeem, 5. Wilt

This might just be my personal bias though; I rate winning and chips much, much higher than individual stats. I also feel longevity is key. Personally, RS accolades don't mean too much to me, I don't rate MVP's very highly, I base rankings off importance in titles, and longevity in contending for these titles. What good is dominance if you still lose?

Regarding Russell and Wilt, I'll admit that I have only seen YouTube clips of Wilt and Russell, and my knowledge extends only to about the millwad vs. jlauber debates regarding Wilt, so my justification may be incorrect.

Anyways, I have Russell at first, he was his team's defensive anchor and a vital piece in the offense. 10+ rings speaks for itself. (I actually also have Russ at numero uno on my GOAT list).

Kareem comes second, with 6 titles. Sure, he only has 2 FMVP's, but without him I doubt Showtime dominates and wins as many titles. Also, man was a straight up baller for 20 odd years. And as lowly as I rate RS accomplishments, 6 MVP's has to be considered.

Shaq comes third, but I really feel he could go second, and my opinion changes often on this one. Maybe tomorrow he'll be second. 3 FMVP's and 4 titles - one thing I will always admire is that he basically carried that 2000 Lakers team. MDE.

Hakeem comes fourth, primarily because of his first round exits. The reason he's this high for me are those 2 FMVP's, and just the way he carried that team to the championship.

My reasoning for Wilt being so low is because, for me, I really ignore his almost meaningless albeit GREAT/straight up DOMINANT regular season accomplishments. His play dipped in the playoffs and the one thing I will always knock Wilt on - he didn't care about winning. (for the record, I feel Wilt with Russell's mindset could have been rated so much higher - the fact he's in most people's top 6 already speaks for his dominance, despite his lack of chips)

My 2 cents anyways.

Good college starter Nash-tastic's Avatar

1) Kareem
    2) Russell
    3) Wilt
    4) Shaq
    5) Hakeem

IMO

3-time NBA All-Star

1. and 2. Russell and Wilt (you can swap either one.)
    3. and 4. Kareem and Shaq (you can swap either one.)

You could make a case for Duncan at #5.

Then...

Hakeem and Moses (you can swap either one.)

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    1. and 2. Russell and Wilt (you can swap either one.)
    3. and 4. Kareem and Shaq (you can swap either one.)

You could make a case for Duncan at #5.

Then...

Hakeem and Moses (you can swap either one.)
    I'd pretty easily give it up to Hakeem over Moses. And I count Duncan as a Pf and even if he was a C I wouldn't have him over Hakeem.

It'd pretty much end up being

Wilt
    Kareem
    Russell
    Shaq
    Hakeem
    Moses

Banned

Kareem
    Russel
    Shaq