Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    raep tiem

Default Re: Anyone on here honestly think Jordan impacts a game more than Wilt or Shaq?

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    You mean against 6-7 w/o shoes Ben Wallace? So when Shaq plays against a 6-7 center who plays good defense it is considered great competition but when Wilt plays against 6-9 and 5/8ths w/o shoes Bill Russell who is the greatest defensive player in NBA history he's playing against "weak/undersized" competition?
    Retard

5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Anyone on here honestly think Jordan impacts a game more than Wilt or Shaq?

The 90's had the greatest number of great centers, all very skilled centers, and to be honest, Jordan would have nearly shut them out if his peak coincided. Still he had 7 years of Shaq with some of most productive seasons along with peak Hakeem, Ewing and Robinson. Nothing else needs to be said.
    Last edited by Pointguard; 08-27-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Local High School Star Akhenaten's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    The 90's had the greatest number of great centers, all very skilled centers, and to be honest, Jordan would have nearly shut them out if his peak coincided. Still he had 7 years of Shaq with some of most productive seasons along with peak Hakeem, Ewing and Robinson. Nothing else needs to be said.

ya know?

cats really trying to sit here making these bullcrap arguments
    Jordan OWNED, literally OWNED the era with the greatest bigs while having Wennington, Purdue, old azz Cartwright and trash azz Longley

Yall cant be serious

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaten
    ya know?

cats really trying to sit here making these bullcrap arguments
    Jordan OWNED, literally OWNED the era with the greatest bigs while having Wennington, Purdue, old azz Cartwright and trash azz Longley

Yall cant be serious
    Name them

Shaq aint winning SH*T with Pippen as another poster alluded to, he needed wings who were PROLIFIC scorers to win titles. This is a man who got swept out the playoff MULTIPLE times with 1st team ALL NBA talent.
    Kobe averaged 21 PPG in the '00 title run on 44% with only 4 assists.
    Shaq? 31/15/3 on 57%

A wing is doesnt have to wait to be fed he can go get his ANYTIME, ANYWHERE.
    To put it simply

Wade/Kobe
    Jordan
    Lebron
    Magic
    Bird

would obliterate a team of;

SHAQ
    WIlt
    Kareem
    Russell
    Ewing/Robinson

in a 7 gm series....OBLITERATE
    LOL! If those guys' jumper is off, the bigs would shit on them. Even if it isn't off, who's defending the bigs? Bird on Ewing/Robinson/Russell? They would eat him alive. Magic/Lebron on Kareem/Wilt/Shaq?

Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    I guess my only question is to what extent Pippen would replace Jordan in the clutch. Because that's not going to be Shaq.

That Orlando team which beat Chicago when MJ returned was pretty good. I don't know how you say Shaq didn't have a quality team around him. They still got swept in the finals and then the next season against the Bulls. Those early Lakers teams with Shaq had good players. They were favored to make the finals at least one year when the Jazz swept them.
    That Orlando team was not good, especially the team Chicago beat after MJ returned. Penny, who was outrageously overrated even in his prime, was a shell of himself by then. It was a one man show. Take Shaq off of that team and they are a lottery team, certainly a far cry from a 55 win team.

Those early Lakers team did not have much talent either. Kobe was very young. It was mainly Shaq carrying that team. The only reason they were favored was because of Shaq.
    Last edited by secund2nun; 08-27-2013 at 12:49 PM.

Kobe= 1st round loser secund2nun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Hakeem was a one man show. Ewing was a one man show along with Robinson.

Jordan, on the other hand, had a cast that was good enough to win 55 games and reach game 7 of the ecsf against NY (should have won the series if not for a bad call) WITHOUT HIM.

Quote Originally Posted by secund2nun
    Those early Lakers team did not have much talent either. Kobe was very young. It was mainly Shaq carrying that team. The only reason they were favored was because of Shaq.
    Eddie Jones and Nick Van Exel? They won 53 games the year before Shaq arrived and then won 56, 61, and were 31-19 in the strike season.

The 1995-96 Magic team won 60 games. Shaq had Hardaway, Dennis Scott and Nick Anderson at 21.7, 17.5 and 14.7 ppg. Don't act like he didn't have any support.

Over those four seasons, 1 on Orlando and 3 on LA where his teams were winning 56+ games a season, they got swept three times and were ousted 4-1 the other time.

Maybe it's just not having Phil? I don't know. I'm not seeing that Shaq matters more to winning than MJ in this picture.

I do know that Shaq won titles with two very good SGs. Kobe was averaging 22.5, 28.5 and 25.2 as Shaq's second option. That's a pretty good scoring second option.

I'm not downplaying how impactful Shaq was. But we're comparing him to MJ, and I'm not buying that's he's more valuable to winning titles.
    Last edited by Marchesk; 08-27-2013 at 01:15 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    Eddie Jones and Nick Van Exel? They won 53 games the year before Shaq arrived and then won 56, 61, and were 31-19 in the strike season.

The 1995-96 Magic team won 60 games. Shaq had Hardaway, Dennis Scott and Nick Anderson at 21.7, 17.5 and 14.7 ppg. Don't act like he didn't have any support.

Over those four seasons, 1 on Orlando and 3 on LA where his teams were winning 56+ games a season, they got swept three times and were ousted 4-1 the other time.

Maybe it's just not having Phil? I don't know. I'm not seeing that Shaq matters more to winning than MJ in this picture.

I do know that Shaq won titles with two very good SGs. Kobe was averaging 22.5, 28.5 and 25.2 as Shaq's second option. That's a pretty good scoring second option.

I'm not downplaying how impactful Shaq was. But we're comparing him to MJ, and I'm not buying that's he's more valuable to winning titles.
    Yes, the Lakers were already becoming a young, exciting team before Shaq got there. Eddie Jones, Nick Van Exel, Elden Campbell, Cedric Ceballos were bringing back people to the Forum, getting Shaq just sealed it.

And Orlando had tons of scoring options, Nick Anderson and Dennis Scott could go for 20+ any given night on top of Orlando, you're absolutely right.

Absolute bullsh*t that he didn't have talent, he's had all the talent in the world from basically his second seasons onwards when Stern rigged the draft for the Magic and never would have left for LA unless he knew he was going to land himself into another good situation with a solid supporting cast.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 08-27-2013 at 05:34 PM.

NBA sixth man of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Young X
    Yes absolutely. I HATE the whole "bigs impact the game more than guards" argument because it's not supported by any evidence.

Why does no big have better playoff numbers, performances and consistency that Jordan does?

Why does no big rank over him in objective metrics?

Why didn't any big lift his team to higher heights than Jordan did since their so much more impactful?

If you say guards can't impact the game defensively like bigs I agree with that, but I counter that with saying bigs can't impact the game offensively like Jordan or Magic.

I wonder if you guys would take Patrick Ewing over Jordan just because he was 7 feet.

Very likely not, but if anyone's close to being the exception, it's probably MJ.

High School Starter

I cannot believe that people seriously think that prime Jordan affected the game more than prime shaq....

Young X already owned this thread.