Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    The ISH'ers Champion!

Default Re: There's NOT A SPORT on Earth where players are better 20 years ago then now.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    Small sample size, means very little. Baseball is a game of longevity. Also, why am I supposed to believe this guy is clean?
    Cause everyone that's not is supposed to suck?

Just enjoy:

http://wapc.mlb.com/lad/play/?conten...862096&c_id=la

The monster games keep on piling......plus he ain't a 30 year old needing the buff. Last I checked, everyone is checked.

Default Re: There's NOT A SPORT on Earth where players are better 20 years ago then now.

I rember my first beer. Drink enough and you might convince yourself that today's league isn't made up of floppy, whiny little bitches.

Quote Originally Posted by PickernRoller
    Cause everyone that's not is supposed to suck?

Just enjoy:

http://wapc.mlb.com/lad/play/?conten...862096&c_id=la

The month keeps on going......plus he ain't a 30 year old needing the buff.
    Dude's a monster. 6'3" 245 lb at only 22. I'm suspicious of any player who looks like they wrestle cattle in their spare time. Nevertheless I am enjoying his dominance right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_Ballin
    I rember my first beer. Drink enough and you might convince yourself that today's league isn't made up of floppy, whiny little bitches.
    It's just getting worse and worse. In a few years they'll be wearing skimpy costumes and giving out championship belts.

The ISH'ers Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    Dude's a monster. 6'3" 245 lb at only 22. I'm suspicious of any player who looks like they wrestle cattle in their spare time. Nevertheless I am enjoying his dominance right now.
    Sure... it's ok to be suspicious. The Cuban league however checks for HGH and if you wanna enter the MLB you're checked too. I don't think scouts have been dosing him slowly through his development so......
    Last edited by PickernRoller; 07-03-2013 at 03:25 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

If athleticism and strength were important in baseball, then how did Greg Maddox and Pedro Martinez dominate the 1990's steroid era?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho
    Your theory (and other points)have some promise, but do you think skilled players just come around randomly, or is there a reason why players (specifically basketball) are less skilled today?
    Because scouts arn't concerned with players skills at the youth level.

I've seen some good ****ing players over my years playing, guys with NBA caliber skills.

But the number one thing scouts look for are things you can't teach.

HEIGHT
    WINGSPAN

ATHLETISICM

You can have all the skills you want. You could be the greatest shooter in the history of the world, but if your a 5'10 white guy with average athleticism and a poor wingspan you will never get your shot at the NBA.

I've seen guys that can barely hit the backboard when taking shots get looked at by multiple scouts just because they can get their head above the rim.

Scouts are always banking that these raw athletes will be able to pick up the skills later. They are correct in a sense that theres a higher chance the raw athlete learns the correct skills, than the chances of the highly skilled getting that raw athleticism.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    If athleticism and strength were important in baseball, then how did Greg Maddox and Pedro Martinez dominate the 1990's steroid era?
    Pitching is less reliant on athleticism and strength. Although, body strength is important, hence why Pedro was always breaking down.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Pele > Messi

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Kevin Love

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by lilblingy
    Pele > Messi
    LOL, soccer is one of those examples where you can easily see how the game has evolved. Just look at some video clips from the 70s, it's like they played in slow motion. 80s and 90s were still comparatively slow plus tactically the teams hadn't yet learned / were just starting to learn how to make the playing field smaller by moving the team according to the placement of the ball. Then you've got the kind of passing game and pressing that Barca introduced and recently the counter pressing of teams like Dortmund and Bayern.
    I can't think of any team before 2008/2009 Barca that would have a chance against 2013 Bayern for instance.

ISH' Muslim Community LEFT4DEAD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brain drain
    LOL, soccer is one of those examples where you can easily see how the game has evolved. Just look at some video clips from the 70s, it's like they played in slow motion. 80s and 90s were still comparatively slow plus tactically the teams hadn't yet learned / were just starting to learn how to make the playing field smaller by moving the team according to the placement of the ball. Then you've got the kind of passing game and pressing that Barca introduced and recently the counter pressing of teams like Dortmund and Bayern.
    I can't think of any team before 2008/2009 Barca that would have a chance against 2013 Bayern for instance.
    I dont know if you are kidding or what. AC Milan from end 80's and early 90's would demolish any team in the history of that game, including last year's Bayern and that Barcelona team. It was unfair how good they were. Real Madrid from early 00's would beat them too probably.

Also, in basketball, game has not changed since end of 80's I would say. Before that? Yeah, I would say in early 80's and before that the game was not on the same level as today.
    But if you think that 25 years are long enough for physical attributes of people to evolve, you are delusional.
    Last edited by LEFT4DEAD; 07-03-2013 at 04:55 AM.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by LEFT4DEAD
    I dont know if you are kidding or what. AC Milan from end 80's and early 90's would demolish any team in the history of that game, including last year's Bayern and that Barcelona team. It was unfair how good they were. Real Madrid from early 00's would beat them too probably.
    Lol no way. Just watch some of those games. Slow and tactically completely inflexible in comparison to todays teams.

And the "Galactico" Madrid is one of the most overrated teams ever. For all their big name stars, they only once managed to win the CL, barely beating Leverkusen. And that was it. Damn little to show for all those big names.
    Last edited by brain drain; 07-03-2013 at 04:57 AM.

ISH' Muslim Community LEFT4DEAD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brain drain
    Lol no way. Just watch some of those games. Slow and tactically completely inflexible in comparison to todays teams.
    I was the biggest fan of that team, and I have watched almost every game, in UCL at least. Nobody knew what is tactic before Arrigo Sacchi. Today's top teams are just copying it. Try to find yourself a documentary about that team if you were too young to see them. In that movie a lot of famous coaches who are coaching today's top teams are saying that their rolemodel were AC Milan.

And haven't those Galacticos beat Valencia in 2000 too?

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Yet there are many sports on earth where the teams of 20 years ago are better than those today. Team's aren't a sum of their individual parts - players can get better - teams can get worse.