Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Rank their peaks: Kobe, Durant, Wade, McGrady, and Dirk

Durant is 24 years old.

Good High School Starter

All I know is that Kobe is first and Wade and Durant round out the top three. I can see an argument for Dirk over Durant but thats it.

Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WayOfWade
    Well, there is stats research, and there's watching. Stats aren't everything, they're a piece of the puzzle, same as the eye test. I've seen both players live on multiple occasions, and seen many highlights of each, this just isn't a topic I've taken time to really go over.
    Yeah, stats matter, you're right. But All 5 of those players have put up monsters stats at some point in their careers. So I'd assume it just has to go to the eye test of their skill, performances, tools, etc. Players tend to be more "impressive" in person, imo (hell, I think it's a general fact, not just imo) and coincidentally Wade's the only player on the list I haven't seen in person.

Don't get me wrong, Wade has been godly for sure. But when I think of prime Kobe? Prime TMac and his ability to score at any time anywhere on the floor? Peak Durant and his pure scoring ability along w/ his size, speed, off-ball defense? Peak older Dirk being able to post, stretch the floor, drive, even rebound? I suppose they just impressed me more than Wade.

Maybe I value shooting too much? Maybe I value pure scoring ability too much (despite my love for defense)? Maybe I value size too much? But I'd still take the other 4 at their peak than Wade. But, I suppose that's why we all have our own rankings.

Don't feel comfortable ranking Durant since he probably hasn't peaked yet. Unless he bucks tradition and peaks at 24 instead of later 20's like all the others; well, except for T-Mac who was around 24 when he peaked, but never being able to stay healthy after that played a role. I do think Durant just had a top 25ish all-time peak season, but he should be even better going forward.

As for the other players, and this is very subjective and I don't have any real defined list outside of the top 5 or 10, but I do think the other 4 players had, at the very least, top 25 all-time peaks. Kobe and Wade are closer to top 15 while McGrady and Dirk are a bit lower, in the 16-25 range somewhere. I'd probably go Kobe, Wade, Dirk, and McGrady in that order. I think it's a little tough to judge Wade and T-Mac because they had absolute garbage supporting casts when they were at their absolute peak; maybe Kobe, too, if you think 2006 was his peak, but I thought he was a better all-around/two-way player in 2008 than 2006, and he was great in the playoffs until he ran into the Celtics in the Finals.

And Dirk's a confusing one, too, because I think he was at his best in the regular season in 2007, but that season ended with a 1st round loss. But he played the best basketball of his career in the 2011 playoffs, so pegging his peak is a little tough, too. For this argument, it also kinda sucks that Westbrook got hurt, because we didn't get a fair chance to see Durant, after his brilliant regular season, perform in another deep playoff run. I mean he was great individually after Westbrook went down, but the team as a whole struggled to find its identity and struggled adjusting on the fly in a playoff setting after losing their highest usage player.
    Last edited by KG215; 07-02-2013 at 04:23 AM.

7-time NBA All-Star

1.Kobe ('06 or '08)
    2.T-Mac ('03)
    3.Wade ('09)
    4.Durant ('13 so far)
    5.Dirk ('06, '07 or '11)

Quote Originally Posted by BlazerRed
    Durant is 24 years old.

Yeah, and if you go by other great players, they generally peaked in their later 20's or their early 30's. Statistically they don't necessarily improve (plenty have actually had a small drop-off statistically) but they get stronger mentally and put that aspect of the game with their physical tools while they're still young enough to utilize those tools. It started this year, but I think Durant will continue to improve as a defender and playmaker, and will continue to probably play at or close to this level another 5+ seasons.

Wade
    Kobe
    Durant
    T-Mac
    Dirk
    3, 4, and 5 are interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rysio
    yea too bad he couldnt get past those incredible hawks in the playoffs. such a bad luck to run into an all time great team in the first round while having such a great season.
    With Beasley as his second best player? Outside of Wade, that team sucked ass on defense and offense.

T-Mac gets kinda overrated here. Dude could score and all, but couldn't defend to save his life. It's like the only think ISH cares about it scoring.
    Last edited by aj1987; 07-02-2013 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    1.Kobe ('06 or '08)
    2.T-Mac ('03)
    3.Wade ('09)
    4.Durant ('13 so far)
    5.Dirk ('06, '07 or '11)
    IMO, that's a pretty good list

2008 Kobe is tops because of what he did with the Lakers, and how far he took them. Even before they got Gasol. Pretty good balance of individual dominance, while also being a mature team leader. Probably the best balance of Kobe's entire career apart from his 2001 playoffs.

2006 Kobe, 2009 Wade, and 2003 McGrady are all pretty much on the same level. Incredible individual season with terrible supporting casts and got bounced in the first round. You could argue any one of these guy's over the other. At the end of the day, neither one truly separated themselves from one another. Along w/ 2008 Kobe, probably the three best seasons from a guard post MJ. Maybe you could throw in 2001 Iverson or 2006 Iverson as well.

2009 Wade probably had the best all around numbers, 2003 McGrady had the best playoff series, 2006 Kobe had the most impressive individual games.

Dirk and Durant are both very similar as well. I rank those two on the same level as players. In fact Durant is a slightly more versatile offensive threat than Dirk. But very similar indeed.

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StocktonFan
    Tmac
    Kobe
    Wade
    Durant
    Dirk
    this

Good college starter Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    T-Mac gets kinda overrated here. Dude could score and all, but couldn't defend to save his life. It's like the only think ISH cares about it scoring.
    well, w/ all due respect, I think most coaches realize you can't win unless your players can put the ball in the bucket, as much as they may preach defense. Scoring capability is a pretty necessary part of the game. So while I love defense as much as the next guy, I can understand why ppl (myself included) place such a value on elite scorers.

Plus, you can teach great defense to almost anyone. It's about footwork, effort, understanding the opponent, etc. I don't think you can teach great scoring to just anyone. That's just a "gift" for most elite scorers. Therefore it kind of has a bigger "awe factor" if you will. And of course, by "elite scorer" I mean someone who is multi-faceted in their game, making them harder to defend - can score in more ways than just 1 or 2.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

1a Kobe
    1b Wade
    2 Dirk
    3 Tmac

can't say about Durant, hasn't hit his prime yet

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak
    well, w/ all due respect, I think most coaches realize you can't win unless your players can put the ball in the bucket, as much as they may preach defense. Scoring capability is a pretty necessary part of the game. So while I love defense as much as the next guy, I can understand why ppl (myself included) place such a value on elite scorers.

Plus, you can teach great defense to almost anyone. It's about footwork, effort, understanding the opponent, etc. I don't think you can teach great scoring to just anyone. That's just a "gift" for most elite scorers. Therefore it kind of has a bigger "awe factor" if you will. And of course, by "elite scorer" I mean someone who is multi-faceted in their game, making them harder to defend - can score in more ways than just 1 or 2.
    But wouldn't it be a plus to have a player who is an elite scorer and and elite defender? The best season T-Mac had, he scored 2.x points more than Wade (2009). I would take Wade any day over T-Mac, because Wade gives me elite defense. An all-in-one package. You sure can teach anyone elite defense, but they won't give you 30 PPG to go along with the defensive effort.

T-Mac could score a ton (only 2 more PPG than Wade, during their best seasons). What what good is all that scoring, when you can't help your team win. Granted he had some really bad teams, he couldn't take the '05 Rockets (with prime Yao) past the Mavs.

This is why I think pure scorers get overrated. I would rather have a player who can score (25-30 PPG) and play elite defense, over a player who can only score.

OTT: Kobe and Wade are interchangeable. Should've put them as 1a and 1b.

Local High School Star Aussie Dunker's Avatar

Dirk has probably had the lowest peak (the other players have had ridiculously insane peaks) but I feel Dirk has been the most consistant at achieving a level of play at or very close to his peak. I think Dirk was at the top of his game for about 10 years - which is hard to do...

Home of the 16

LOL @ HEAT FANS PUTTING WADE OVER KOBE It's so hilarious.

1. Kobe
    2. McGrady
    3. Wade
    4. Durant
    5. Nowitzki

Sorry, but, Wade wasn't as unstoppable as T-Mac.... I grew up watching these two & T-mac is ahead by 5 points. It could change if D-Wade moves to a different team.

Very good NBA starter

Kobe (06)
    T-Mac (03)
    Wade (09)
    Durant (13)
    Dirk (06)