Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Ive heard it said that 2003-2004 was the NBA at its low point. Thinking about it.....

As a Pistons fan, this was a strange thread to read. 2003-2004 in Auburn Hills was a blast through and through. The Pistons were great, even before they got hot and won the NBA championship. And when they acquired Rasheed at the deadline? Things got really real. And I don't mean in a "It was neat to watch my home team grind their way to victory by playing boring basketball" way.

Rather, I was legitimately entertained by their style of basketball. The Pistons were so frequently hitting on all cylinders that year that highlights would often ooze from their surface. I suppose it's undeniable to say I'm not biased though. It's just, monster blocks were awesome to watch. And those often led to fast break dunks at the other end. Further, there were a lot of nasty tip dunk opportunities that year. The Pistons surely would slow tempo after made baskets and whatnot, but they certainly didn't mind running off of turnovers or blocked shots.

Prime Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n9iw4D6txM

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Ive heard it said that 2003-2004 was the NBA at its low point. Thinking about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Rather, I was legitimately entertained by their style of basketball.

Prime Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n9iw4D6txM
    I'm pretty much in the same boat. The 03-05 Pistons and Spurs were some of my favorite teams to watch of the last decade. I had grown up watching defensive teams that San Antonio fielded in the 90's, but the early 2000's Spurs and Pistons took it to another level (other teams as well). Seeing how Larry Brown and Pop constructed some of the best defensive sets and schemes is really high up there for me, but it's weird, many people and casual fans would consider it boring. I thought it was some of the toughest, grittiest basketball at the time.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I remember that sequence. It was right before I turned off the TV.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    I remember that sequence. It was right before I turned off the TV.
    It was just a non-stop party for Pistons fans from there on out. It felt like we had a 10-minute NBA Street Game Breaker. Interestingly, I think it started with an awkward Elden Campbell tip-dunk a minute earlier: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0xIMYkrrRA).

But then there were tip-dunks on tip-dunks, and rejections, and circus shots, and Lindsey Hunter and Mike James trapping at half court to force a turnover to begin the fourth. Then it all seemed to culminate in Ben's tip dunk on Shaq, where Rasheed can be seen rollicking in enjoyment thereafter. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRkzVIKEvTI

It seemed like awesome plays just starting pouring in from every direction at the end there. And it was so satisfying. The only downfall was the house I was watching it all happen in happened to have a girl there who kept calling Corliss Williamson "Scoreless Corliss" because she was trying to sound knowledgeable. So annoying.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 10-01-2011 at 12:24 AM.

Form a ****ing wall DetroitPiston's Avatar

I'll just say that 03-04 was great for me because I got to see my team win a championship. I don't care what the rest of the season was like, you enjoy moments like that.

The Bulls were so boring to watch. They could never score.

The Pistons and Twolves were the only teams i like to watch. Even the Pacers were kind of boring.

Pistons - Broke points allowed records, The Wallaces, overall great team basketball...oh! and they beat the Lakers.. never been a Lakers fan.

Twolves - KG was really fun to watch back then, Cassell is only of my favorite PGs, Sprewell was also cool.
    Last edited by Bigsmoke; 10-01-2011 at 03:24 PM.