Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #1606
TheNaturalWR
Local High School Star

TheNaturalWR has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Ish Official Fit-club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
Can a 14-year-old join a gym?

Yeah. I'm a senior in HS and I joined 9 months ago.

Anyways trying to get to 2/3/4 plate bench, squat, and deadlift in my first year of lifting.

Currently at probably a 205 max on bench, 365 max on deads, and not sure about my squat yet since I've been only doing front squats for the past 3 months where I'm at 225 for 5(parallel) and 200 for 5(ATG).
TheNaturalWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #1607
CasterL
Feeling supersonic

CasterL is popular on this boardCasterL is popular on this boardCasterL is popular on this boardCasterL is popular on this board

I have been been working hard on loosing wight and leaning out recently. I was out of shape for well over a year. I'm nearing my goal and my fitness is back and I've stopped smoking cigs so it's getting alot easier.

I could do with some advice. At the moment I'm looking forward a month or so when I am going to try and start adding muscle, but I'm not wanting to get too big, just add some muscle with minimal fat gain. Should I bother with creatine or is it more for those looking to build serious muscle and dont care about weight gain??? I'm doing the whole paleo/ caveman thing for the most part, which is great, but I think I would struggle to eat the calories etc I need to gain mass unless I made some changes. Not sure what the best approach would be in relation to my goals, supplements like creatine or just to restucture diet.
CasterL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #1608
riseagainst
Lebron fan

riseagainst is considered somewhat coolriseagainst is considered somewhat coolriseagainst is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterL
I have been been working hard on loosing wight and leaning out recently. I was out of shape for well over a year. I'm nearing my goal and my fitness is back and I've stopped smoking cigs so it's getting alot easier.

I could do with some advice. At the moment I'm looking forward a month or so when I am going to try and start adding muscle, but I'm not wanting to get too big, just add some muscle with minimal fat gain. Should I bother with creatine or is it more for those looking to build serious muscle and dont care about weight gain??? I'm doing the whole paleo/ caveman thing for the most part, which is great, but I think I would struggle to eat the calories etc I need to gain mass unless I made some changes. Not sure what the best approach would be in relation to my goals, supplements like creatine or just to restucture diet.

restructure your diet.

What's your current diet like? roughly how many calories do you consume daily?
riseagainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #1609
alenleomessi

alenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KobesFinger
I'm feeling strong again. Deadlifting over 100kg again, squatting 100kg again and can finally bench my body-weight without a spot.

Anyone know how I can put some width on my triceps? As in when you look at my arms from in front/behind? All help is appreciated
skullcrushers and close grip bench is all you need
alenleomessi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #1610
CasterL
Feeling supersonic

CasterL is popular on this boardCasterL is popular on this boardCasterL is popular on this boardCasterL is popular on this board

Rough guess I would say over the week I'm averaging about 1600 or so, mainly as I will just have soup or a salad or fruit most lunches. What sort of calorie intake should I be aiming for to gain muscle, bearing in mind I'm gonna be still pushing with cardio? Also what split should i go for between protein and carbs? Cuting carbs has really worked for me but I'm aware they vital to consume to build mass.

current diet. Alot of omlettes, chicken, fish and veg.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #1611
Shade8780
GOATin

Shade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShade8780 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

My local gym says you have to be 16 to join, but I might just lie.
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #1612
TheNaturalWR
Local High School Star

Quote:
Rough guess I would say over the week I'm averaging about 1600 or so, mainly as I will just have soup or a salad or fruit most lunches. What sort of calorie intake should I be aiming for to gain muscle, bearing in mind I'm gonna be still pushing with cardio? Also what split should i go for between protein and carbs? Cuting carbs has really worked for me but I'm aware they vital to consume to build mass.

No man should be eating 1600 calories a day....Even a lazy fat person would lose weight on a 2000 calorie diet. You shouldn't be going under 2000 IMO, there's frankly no need to be on that low of a caloric intake. If you're still feeling fat right now then just eat around 2000 calories, NO less and lift heavy and build up your strength so when you start bulking to build muscle(caloric surplus) you can stress your muscles more with heavier weight.

As for protein and carbs. Get around body weight for protein and .4 grams per bodyweight for fats. And just fill in the rest with whatever you want as long as it gets you into a caloric surplus.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #1613
riseagainst
Lebron fan

riseagainst is considered somewhat coolriseagainst is considered somewhat coolriseagainst is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

let's assume 1600 a day is what your current maintenance is, meaning you are not losing weight anymore while eating this amount.

bump up your caloric intake to 2000 for a few weeks. do a 40/40/20 split of protein/carbs/fats

800/800/400 calories for those macros. about 200/200/45 grams.

i recommend replacing a good amount of your fruits for complex carbs, pasta, rice potatoes. I mean, they technically are carbs, but complex carbs are generally more beneficial in a surplus.
riseagainst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #1614
TheNaturalWR
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
skullcrushers and close grip bench is all you need

French Presses/Overhead DB Extensions too. They're my go-to exercise for triceps.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #1615
CasterL
Feeling supersonic

Cheers for the info guys. Tbh 1600 may be a bit of an underestimation as I'm not counting, but I'm definatley sub 2000 so will ramp it up when the time comes. I'm assuming I need to factor in eating even more over the recommended 2000 to compensate for what I burn during cardio.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #1616
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

Got a personal best this week, 225 lb squats fro 30 reps.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #1617
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Losing weight and strength has only dipped slightly, bench & deadlift are still big, I have to ease back on squats since I have a physical coming up in November and can't afford to get hurt so preserving my knees is a must.

Also, I've been doing a ton of pullups and my lats and traps have grown more doing them than anything else.

Last edited by abuC : 09-10-2014 at 12:17 PM.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #1618
poido123
Cameron Bairstow!!

poido123 has an incredible reputation herepoido123 has an incredible reputation herepoido123 has an incredible reputation herepoido123 has an incredible reputation herepoido123 has an incredible reputation herepoido123 has an incredible reputation herepoido123 has an incredible reputation here

Need some advice from the fitness gurus.

I've always had good court smarts, footwork and positioning in basketball, yet I can't jump very high, even when I was young and athletic.

Curse of being white I suppose

How can I improve my explosion or jumping?
poido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #1619
abuC
Cuba

abuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected posterabuC is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by poido123
Need some advice from the fitness gurus.

I've always had good court smarts, footwork and positioning in basketball, yet I can't jump very high, even when I was young and athletic.

Curse of being white I suppose

How can I improve my explosion or jumping?

Box jumps
Plyometrics
Box squats (moving the weight quickly)

Whatever you do, try to do it so you're focusing more on the explosion in the movement rather than the weight itself.
abuC is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: