Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Who's career will be regarded as better: Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant

Kobe Bryant:

3 titles

Tim Duncan:

About to get his fourth title.

But the difference is that Kobe had a superstar during his run, while TD will have gotten two titles with two very good players - Tony Parker and Manu Ginobilli - but those two aren't superstars.

Banned

Default Re: Who's career will be regarded as better: Tim Duncan or Kobe Bryant

is this really a serious question?

I am Chris Wilcox

In about 20 years, when all we have are stats and highlights, then most people will consider Kobe the better player just because of his scoring ability. I myself will always consider Tim's career to be the better career and the better player.

Quote Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
    In about 20 years, when all we have are stats and highlights, then most people will consider Kobe the better player just because of his scoring ability. I myself will always consider Tim's career to be the better career and the better player.
    Bingo!

Learning to shoot layups starks's Avatar

After his 4th ring and 4th Finals MVP Duncan will be a serious contender to challenge the big six. If he wins another ring, then a lot of people will put him in the top 6 all time.

So, there's a big difference at the moment.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore Clutch_City's Avatar

Whatchu Talkin'? He had David Robinson for 2 of their titles. Duncan had better role players also with Elliot and alll them. Kobe and Shaq. Thats it. Nadda. But, as for career, Duncan gets the edge. And, Kobe, in terms of producing points.

Learning to shoot layups

They play completely different positions! I think that Duncan will be regarded as the better player. I want to point out that its really hard to judge Tim Duncan with stats only. San Antonio's system forces players to sacrifice their stats during the regular season. Players minutes are limited, and they are all allowed only 14 shots. So of course Kobe/Malone/ etc are going to have higher numbers than Duncan..

In the end though, Tim Duncan is going to end up with a lot more than 3 championships. He could end up with as many as 5/6. Maybe even 7. I think that Tim's legacy is going to be regarded as similar to Bill Russell's legacy. He'll more than likely be regarded as the greatest team player of his generation.
    Last edited by bekalc; 06-09-2007 at 11:12 AM.

Duncan will have the better career hands down. Kobe can only beat him on pure individual basketball talent, because he has achieved some amazing things as an individual. Whether or not you include "81 point games" and "stretches of games scoring over 40" as career defining is one way in which im sure people might differ. Surely thogh, Kobe's individual accolades hold nothing against overall team success and Tims role within those teams.

Local High School Star

Both play two different positions. Does it matter on who's better?

College star

Easily Duncan and when both of their careers are over it's not going to be close

Kobe had a bad start. Obviously Duncan.

Bryant may have Tim Duncan on the individual accolades, but true greatness is almost always measured in wins and championships. Tim Duncan has that over Bryant easily right now, and will continue to hold that advantage granted Bryant continues to have a mediocre to decent supporting cast.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxFly
    Bryant may have Tim Duncan on the individual accolades, but true greatness is almost always measured in wins and championships. Tim Duncan has that over Bryant easily right now, and will continue to hold that advantage granted Bryant continues to have a mediocre to decent supporting cast.
    100% agree. I still believe that Duncan holds more invidual stock. 2 MVP's/All-Defensive and All-NBA First teams already surpassed Kobe for the most part. But as of scoring, Kobe takes it easy.

Intelligent fan

Kobe will be the most talked about in 20 years. It doesn't matter if Tim wins another 3 rings, as long as Kobe keeps scoring the way he does, people will remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe24
    Kobe will be the most talked about in 20 years. It doesn't matter if Tim wins another 3 rings, as long as Kobe keeps scoring the way he does, people will remember that.
    Which is stupid. People care more about 81 points from Kobe than Duncan not having less than 50 wins in any season of his entire career.