National High School Star lakers_forever's Avatar

Default Does having ordinary years from 21 to 24 hurt Curry's legacy?

When you look at the GOAT level players like Jordan, Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Magic, Bird, Shaq, Duncan, Kobe, Lebron, Olajuwon, Oscar and so on, they all achieved superstar status much earlier than Curry, who only truly became a superstar in this league last year at 27.

In four seasons, from 21 to 24, he was nothing that special. Now, he is the crazy confident goat shooter indeed. But do those 4 years hurt his legacy when compared to those GOAT level players? Does it make it incredibly hard to surpass those guys?

Default Re: Does having ordinary years from 21 to 24 hurt Curry's legacy?

You guys care too much about the all-time list.

He put up respectable numbers for a rookie and sophomore in an excruciatingly tough conference and was hobbled by injuries in his third season. I say no.

It changes his legacy. Numerically he might not end up like some of the other all time greats, but narratively it'll probably help him. Starting off as a good player marred by injuries and struggling to stay on the court, and becoming one of the deadliest offensive players the game has ever seen, doing it with a confidence and style that changes the game? That's far more interesting than someone who was destined to be an all time great since he was drafted

Depends on the next years. Hakeem had pretty obscure seasons between '86 and the early 90s. Almost nobody here cares and he's put into the top 10 regularly.

He was actually pretty good . Had 50 40 90 season twice.

Not surprised band wagons like you dont know sh**

I usually hit open layups

Actually, makes it more impressive to me. How did he get so fkin good? That's the craziest development I've ever seen.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D. Toretto
    Actually, makes it more impressive to me. How did he get so fkin good? That's the craziest development I've ever seen.
    Andrew Bynum and Kobe deserve consideration in that "Developed at a crazy rate" discussion as well.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Toretto
    That's sure one way to look at it. It's crazy indeed. If someone claimed two years ago, when he was 25 to 26 already, that people would be comparing him to Kobe, Magic and even MJ, people would tell you were insanse.

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    Depends on the next years. Hakeem had pretty obscure seasons between '86 and the early 90s. Almost nobody here cares and he's put into the top 10 regularly.
    This

Very good NBA starter

it's not like he came out of nowhere. dude was a top 6-8 player in the league in 2013, top 5 in 2014, and #1 in 2015. i don't think it will do much to hurt his legacy. i expect curry to have GOAT level superstar longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    it's not like he came out of nowhere. dude was a top 6-8 player in the league in 2013, top 5 in 2014, and #1 in 2015. i don't think it will do much to hurt his legacy. i expect curry to have GOAT level superstar longevity.
    Top 6-8 in 2013? Nah. That's revisionism at its best Could not even make the All nba third team. 11th at MVP voting.

Very good NBA starter

I don't care about accolades. Dude was already the best shooter ever by peak at that point and he was amazing in the playoffs. The fact that he didn't finish top 10 in mvp voting is a joke. Who were the 10 guys who were clearly better?

No, he had an exceptional rookie and sophomore year. Only his 3rd season when he was hurt is a blip on his record, but he was hurt he didn't have a down year.

His fourth season, he was an All-Star snub, but still made noise and his name in the playoffs (and earlier in the season at MSG dropping 51.) Made All-Star and All-NBA the season after and we all no what happened last season and what's going on now.

A guy like Steve Nash had a much slower start. Drexler, Dirk, Iverson and Stockton didn't make their first All-Star teams until their third, fourth, fourth and fifth seasons.