Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Default The Book the NBA doesnt want you to read (Donaghy book)

I've been eagerly awaiting for this book to come out since it might shed some light on the shady refereeing in the NBA was made light when the Lakers won their 3peat in the early 2000s.

Now i find its not gonna be made Due to some potential liability to be had.

More info: http://deadspin.com/5392030/the-book...nt-you-to-read

and excerpts from the book. now take these words with a grain of salt. they may or may not be true but if were true. it does explain a lot of refereeing conspiracies in those series i rememer, particularly the 2002 Kings/Lakers series. http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts...nt-you-to-read

such a shameful era of professional basketball.

Javie and Bavetta always had the worst called games imho.
    Last edited by DuMa; 10-28-2009 at 07:22 PM.

Default Re: The Book the NBA doesnt want you to read (Donaghy book)

I remember reading an interview with a FBI agent who said many of his claims regarding other events were credible. It's a shame that I have seen the sport turn into an entertainment showcase.

""If we give the benefit of the calls to the team that's down in the series, nobody's going to complain. The series will be even at three apiece, and then the better team can win Game 7," Bavetta stated."

If the Kings won game 6, they WOULD HAVE BEEN THE BETTER TEAM. That's why you PLAY the games, dumbass. I swear, if I see Deleany or Bavetta in real life, I might be compelled to kick their asses.

In our pregame meeting, he talked about how important the game was to San Antonio and how meaningless it was to Denver, and that San Antonio was going to get the benefit of the calls that night. Armed with this inside information, I called Jack Concannon before the game and told him to bet the Spurs.

To no surprise, we won big. San Antonio blew Denver out of the building that evening, winning by 26 points. When Jack called me the following morning, he expressed amazement at the way an NBA game could be manipulated. Sobering, yes; amazing, no. That's how the game is played in the National Basketball Association.
    ****ing crooks. I hate Stern, who is more concerned about the dollar than the sport.
    Last edited by Showtime; 10-28-2009 at 07:40 PM.

and i remember the 2007 Suns Spurs series where the Spurs were heavily favored by the referees.

this excerpt explains it all

My favorite Tommy Nunez story is from the 2007 playoffs when the San Antonio Spurs were able to get past the Phoenix Suns in the second round. Of course, what many fans didn't know was that Phoenix had someone working against them behind the scenes. Nunez was the group supervisor for that playoff series, and he definitely had a rooting interest.

Nunez loved the Hispanic community in San Antonio and had a lot of friends there. He had been a referee for 30 years and loved being on the road; in fact, he said that the whole reason he had become a group supervisor was to keep getting out of the house. So Nunez wanted to come back to San Antonio for the conference finals. Plus, he, like many other referees, disliked Suns owner Robert Sarver for the way he treated officials. Both of these things came into play when he prepared the referees for the games in the staff meetings. I remember laughing with him and saying, "You would love to keep coming back here." He was pointing out everything that Phoenix was able to get away with and never once told us to look for anything in regard to San Antonio. Nunez should have a championship ring on his finger.

Local High School Star YAH trick YAH's Avatar

I don't have a hard time at all believing any of it. I wish this book would come out so bad.

Allen Iverson provides a good example of a player who generated strong reaction, both positive and negative, within the corps of NBA referees. For instance, veteran referee Steve Javie hated Allen Iverson and was loathe [sic] to give him a favorable call. If Javie was on the court when Iverson was playing, I would always bet on the other team to win or at least cover the spread. No matter how many times Iverson hit the floor, he rarely saw the foul line. By contrast, referee Joe Crawford had a grandson who idolized Iverson. I once saw Crawford bring the boy out of the stands and onto the floor during warm-ups to meet the superstar. Iverson and Crawford's grandson were standing there, shaking hands, smiling, talking about all kinds of things. If Joe Crawford was on the court, I was pretty sure Iverson's team would win or at least cover the spread.
    I'm interested in that excerpt. I would like to see Iverson record when Javie refs as opposed to when crawford refs. I would also love to see the free throws shot with each ref. I never wanted to believe what Tim Donaghy had to say but little tidbits like this could help us put the evidence together.

Bol'd over

Part of me wants this book to come out and part doesn't, reason being that it probably would make me incredibly angry and I might begin to despise the game I love so much.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ElPigto
    I'm interested in that excerpt. I would like to see Iverson record when Javie refs as opposed to when crawford refs. I would also love to see the free throws shot with each ref. I never wanted to believe what Tim Donaghy had to say but little tidbits like this could help us put the evidence together.
    If I were to write a book of this kind, I'd check the numbers first, build my argument second... So your search is not likely to prove anything IMHO.

Stay Strong Droth

I buy it. I mean both the players and the owners routinely say "The NBA is a business" one of the only things they agree on. I believe that this guy does have an agenda, the NBA blackballed him. But don't discount the idea that the NBA is not looking out for it's own best interest (game 7's, superstar calls). Many of us disagree with some of the calls, some are blatant.

I actually believe the NBA draft lottery is rigged too. Just my opinion though, based on some of the things that have gone down over the past few years. (The Clippers rep with a Blake Griffin jersey sown into the inside of his jacket??? c'mon!!!!!) The Clips had a shot to win it, but really? Griffin jersey in your jacket?

Doesnt matter to me though, like many of you, I love the NBA too much that even if it comes out that Stern did dictate a lot of things, I would still watch.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    If I were to write a book of this kind, I'd check the numbers first, build my argument second... So your search is not likely to prove anything IMHO.
    It's pretty dam specific though. I understand the guy might not have a life, but it almost seems like way too much trouble to look for patterns like this. If stuff like this really went on behind the scenes I wouldn't really care I would still love the game. I just find it fascinating how he mentioned these specific refs. I think the search would at least lead to something. What if I researched and found out it was a bunch of a bull****, on the other hand what if he is overwhelmingly right?

I wouldn't go through the trouble since I honestly don't care that much.

EDIT: I guess we could accumulate data on every referee find averages and such, but boy would that be a sh!t load of work.
    Last edited by ElPigto; 10-28-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

What if I researched and found out it was a bunch of a bull****, on the other hand what if he is overwhelmingly right?

I'm sure if you do enough research you will find lots of anomalies. However, that would still not necessarily be a conspiracy. Refs are human. One may or may not like a certain player and blow the whistle accordingly. On the other hand, there may be differences in their approach, too. Say one ref tends to not recognize flopping. Years later you may say that ref hated Shaq or Dwight. You'd have the data to prove your point.

In case there are real conspiracies however, I still don't give a damn. I watch basketball to be entertained and not to find out some 'universal truth' about players and teams. Following the NBA closely is like watching a soap opera unfold in real-time and slo-mo.

The truth is out there.

NBA lottery pick

What is that new Jose Canesco book called? VINDICATED.

I don

Quote Originally Posted by praneel
    I buy it. I mean both the players and the owners routinely say "The NBA is a business" one of the only things they agree on. I believe that this guy does have an agenda, the NBA blackballed him. But don't discount the idea that the NBA is not looking out for it's own best interest (game 7's, superstar calls). Many of us disagree with some of the calls, some are blatant.

I actually believe the NBA draft lottery is rigged too. Just my opinion though, based on some of the things that have gone down over the past few years. (The Clippers rep with a Blake Griffin jersey sown into the inside of his jacket??? c'mon!!!!!) The Clips had a shot to win it, but really? Griffin jersey in your jacket?

Doesnt matter to me though, like many of you, I love the NBA too much that even if it comes out that Stern did dictate a lot of things, I would still watch.
    I'd still watch but theres always something more bothering when one of those referees named out by Donaghy is officiating a game i'm watching. i cant help but notice their shady mannerisms and it does ruin the game for me a little bit. its a crappy situation and stern has done little to improve it. we need this book to come out. it will force some changes that are needed at the personnel level of officiating.

sergiorodriguez
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

I hate Joey Crawford, im glad Donaghy snitched him out

"If a player of Kobe's stature collides with the likes of Raja Bell, the call will almost always go for Kobe and against Bell."

"Danny told me that Jordan himself said that everyone in the league knew that Bavetta cheated in games "

"In our pregame meeting, he talked about how important the game was to San Antonio and how meaningless it was to Denver, and that San Antonio was going to get the benefit of the calls that night."

Wow, this book need to go out.

Dunking on everybody in the park ronron15's Avatar

no surprise. this shouldn't be news to anyone

anyone really thinks that Tim was the ONLY ONE crooked ref in the league?????
    He's one being caught, but there're more