Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Larry Bird vs Magic Johnson - Who was the better player All Time?

I'd have to go with Larry. Back in the 80s, he was always considered the better player of the two and was being called the GOAT back then before MJ. My All Time list goes MJ, Kareem, Russell, Wilt, Bird, Magic.

Default Re: Larry Bird vs Magic Johnson - Who was the better player All Time?

Well, Magic had a more successful career with more accolades. He had 2 more rings, 1 more finals MVP and played longer. That's what people who didn't watch the game back then ultimately look at.

However, in their prime, it was no argument. Larry was better. If Larry's back didn't give up on him that early, he would have unquestionably gone down better overall than Magic.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Never saw either play but I've heard many times that Bird was considered the better player in the 80s.

Magic had a stronger roster with Kareem and Worthy. Wasn't the East stronger than the West too? The East had the Sixers, Bulls, Pistons and Celtics, who was challenging the Lakers in the West?

Troll who tries to provoke you

Personally speaking

Larry Bird

-He was a fantastic player.

-A coaches dream to build a franchise.

-An oppositions worse nightmare.

-Almost a weapon on the court who never needed ball in his hand to absolutely DOMINATE the game.

-He positioned himself excellently.

-He slithered thru defenses sometimes literally went unrecornized till he hits CLUTCH basket after CLUTCH basket.

-He got to 25 ppg without even his own team knowing it.

-The best OFF THE BALL player ever. Got to 10+ rpg in no time. Got to 8 apg in no time.

-deadly post-up game that never wasted a dribble or energy.

-a team mates DREAM player. teammates AUTOMATICALLY got better playing with LEGEND.

-Top 5 GOATs to ever play the game.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Larry was clearly the better player. He was also older and more mature when they first came into the league. Had Larry came in when he was 19 he would have won at least a couple more MVP's.

Magic was the best floor general, I ever saw. Both were a Joy to watch. You can't go wrong either way.

Possessed by B-Ball Ancient Legend's Avatar

Prime: Larry
    Career: Magic

Overall: Larry by a smidgen.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

Bird was the better forward, magic the better guard.

I prefer bird's game over magic's though.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Magic is the best passer of all time. I'll take him.

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    Well, Magic had a more successful career with more accolades. He had 2 more rings, 1 more finals MVP and played longer. That's what people who didn't watch the game back then ultimately look at.

However, in their prime, it was no argument. Larry was better. If Larry's back didn't give up on him that early, he would have unquestionably gone down better overall than Magic.
    This.

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

larry bird as a player, magic has better resume

you can't stop me get these NETS's Avatar

Magic dragged an on his way out Worthy,young Vlade and Sam Perkins into the NBA Finals

and beat a peak Blazers team to do it..

If Kidd could drag the NEW JERSEY NETS into the finals...I'm convinced that peak Magic could be added to any contender/ or decent talented team in modern era and take them over the top...

can't say that about Bird...

Banned

Magic is a greatest of all time player.

Bird is an era-specific player.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    Magic is a greatest of all time player.

Bird is an era-specific player.
    This is without a doubt the worst post I have ever seen. Even by a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    Magic dragged an on his way out Worthy,young Vlade and Sam Perkins into the NBA Finals

and beat a peak Blazers team to do it..

If Kidd could drag the NEW JERSEY NETS into the finals...I'm convinced that peak Magic could be added to any contender/ or decent talented team in modern era and take them over the top...

can't say that about Bird...
    Great point about Magic. I get tired of those that claim that he had Kareem. The fact was, he carried an awful Kareem to a title in '88, and with the surrounding talent LA had in '87, I have no doubt that they would have won by giving more minutes to Thompson and Green, and without Kareem, in that season. And, had Magic not been injured in game two of the '89 Finals, he might have won yet another ring.

Then, after Kareem retired following the '89 season, Magic took a team that had gone 57-25 the year before, and with Kareem, to a 63-19 record, without Kareem.

And, as posted above, he took an injury-riddled, and rapidly declining LA team to a 58-24 record, and a trip to the Finals the next season (his last.)

How did LA do after Magic retired? They plummetted to a 43-39 record, and followed that up with a 39-43 record the next year.

And early on, all Magic did was take a severely under-achieving team to a 60-22 record in his rookie season, and then, in a game six, on the road, and without Kareem, led LA to a world title, with a monster 42-15-7 game. Two years later he would take over the team, and lead them to yet another title, winning another FMVP in the process.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes

Magic retired in '91. Bird retired in '92...unless you're counting Magic's brief comeback in '96