Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Default Re: Yi to demand a trade?

Quote Originally Posted by JalenRawley
    Did people get this ignorance over Francis and Bryant? No, of course not. They weren't Chinese. They were just arrogant, spoiled Americans, and both were appeased immediately.
    Are you ****ing retarded? Yes they did. You don't know anything about the topic you're discussing. People still give those 2 players plenty of **** for demanding a trade.

Quit acting like everything is just American ignorance. Yes, it's ignorant to say someone should do a job where they get paid millions of dollars even though they're pouting because there aren't as many Chinese people living there as they'd like.

Sorry man, but you don't get to hold the draft for ransom. If he wants to live with Chinese people that bad, he can stay in China. Simple solution. Leave the draft out of it.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by reppy
    It's the draft. You don't have a say in where you go. It's like me being pissed off I didn't win the million dollar jackpot in the lottery. Except in this case, they won millions and they're just whiny because they don't like the city. Oh no! Guess what? I don't like my job either. Get over it, cry baby.
    If you think that you don't have a say in where you go, you know absolutely zero about the draft process. About the workouts, about all of the discussions behind closed doors. About all of the handshake, wink-wink-nudge-nudge deals. About all of the manipulation, deceit, and underhanded tactics that go on.

Plenty of players have had the power to choose where they went. Teams can always draft you anyway, but only the dumbest of the dumb draft people that don't want anything to do with them. Yeah, you can still draft 'em, but what happens when they go play elsewhere? What happens when they play half-assed for you? What happens when they force a trade down the line for pennies on the dollar? I'll tell you what happens: YOU get screwed, not the player who didn't want to be there in the first place. You aren't going to punish them, YOU lose.

If Yi Jianlian refused to play in Milwaukee, who loses? It won't be Yi, he'll play elsewhere. Sure, he won't make as much money, but there's always money to be made.

Milwaukee won't suddenly get a "do over" for the 6th pick.

It's the draft. You don't have a say in where you go. It's like me being pissed off I didn't win the million dollar jackpot in the lottery. Except in this case, they won millions and they're just whiny because they don't like the city. Oh no! Guess what? I don't like my job either. Get over it, cry baby.

Not really, because the lottery is based on luck. Making the NBA is based on talent and hard work.

So look at it like a job interview. You're in HR, trying to hire a full time employee, and you have a little of applicants. One in particular doesn't even show up for the interview. You talk to his previous employers, and they tell you he's looking for something different than what you're offering. He obviously doesn't want to work for you. So, you hire him anyway, he's unhappy, he doesn't give 100%, he calls in sick a lot, and you think he pretends to understand a little less English than he really does, especially at key moments. Is this what you wanted? A half-assed employee? Is this what you're spending your money on?

Now, imagine the CFO looking over the reports, and he sees that this new guy isn't doing a damn thing. Everyone in the company, even the shareholders are complaining about this guy. What idiot would hire someone like this? Looking deeper into the hiring process, you see that the guy didn't even want to be here, and the moron in HR still hired him. So, they end up getting rid of the employee at their own cost, most likely firing the guy from HR, and if the CEO gets wind of it, the CFO might lose his job too.

What does this mean? Pick the right person for the job. Don't pick the wrong person and force them to do the job, you're -NEVER- going to get positive results that way. This is just common sense, but common sense is about as common as skinny Mensan in Wisconsin.
    I see the point you tried to make but the example you used isnt similar to getting drafted in the NBA. Players entering the draft should not be allowed to dictate where they want to go. Thats the problem. You're a talented athlete who can help my franchise but I cant pick you because you want to tell me certain teams you will play for? I mean come on...you've proven nothing in your life when it comes to being an NBA player. Bad enough your contract is guranteed. But you want to run the show as well? Sure its easy to say "Well then dont draft him"...well then someone behind me will and get a f*cking GEM. And how is that fair? I have to take a lower rated player hope he pans out and is as good if not BETTER than Yi because this persons "handlers" want to tell the league who he will and wont play for? Its ridiculous. Its a privilege, an honor to be DRAFTED. If we got people wanting to tell you who they play for and who not? Scrap the draft...first come first serve. Hey Al Horford...you wont get drafted so find an NBA team you want to play for. Ask them to sign you. Yo Mike wanna play with Greg? Hey package deal to a team you like. What you're both Cavs fans? Excellant.

I can see the whole idea of "Why would you want someone not on your team then? Skip them", but I can see why people frown on spoiled brats (Eli Manning, Kobe, STeve) or bad counseling (n Yi's case cuz i read he doesnt care about playing for Milw). As reppy mentioned it kills the integrity of the draft process entirely. And this isnt reserved for the NBA. Major sports teams have been victims of a select few pricks. But I'm not gonna spend too much time bashing Yi's peoples or whatever...in the end? Its whatever to me.

Philly wouldnt mind Yi.

So Steve Francis I mean Yi is lookin for a trade...thats awesome...

Quote Originally Posted by cdot11
    Not really, because the lottery is based on luck. Making the NBA is based on talent and hard work.
    But it takes talent and hard work to make money to buy lotto tickets!

If he doesn't like it, he can wait until he's a free agent and then sign elsewhere. Tough break.

Yeah, lotto tickets aren't workin for me....But that would be funny if a millionaire won the lottery....

If he doesn't like it, he can wait until he's a free agent and then sign elsewhere. Tough break.

yeah it takes alot of talent for some garbageman or gas station cashier (no offense to anyone) to purchase lotto tickets.

Good High School Starter

Are you ****ing retarded? Yes they did. You don't know anything about the topic you're discussing. People still give those 2 players plenty of **** for demanding a trade.

Quit acting like everything is just American ignorance. Yes, it's ignorant to say someone should do a job where they get paid millions of dollars even though they're pouting because there aren't as many Chinese people living there as they'd like.

Sorry man, but you don't get to hold the draft for ransom. If he wants to live with Chinese people that bad, he can stay in China. Simple solution. Leave the draft out of it.
    Am I retarded? No, I'd say I've got a pretty good grasp on the situation. I'm not the one freaking out here. And, yeah, I'd feel pretty confidant in saying that I know quite a bit about the topic I'm discussing, as well it shows. I'm also not the one calling someone else "retarded" because they differ with a completely uninformed, heavily biased and ignorant opinion. So, I'm just fine here sitting in the non-retarded section.

I'm acting like everything is American arrogance? That's funny, you're the one that brought it up. I'm just pointing out how it can easily go the other way and be just as relevant. My posts are all right here for you to read, but I understand that reading lots of words is hard, so I'm sure you didn't bother getting information before speaking. It's okay though, I'm sure it's standard operating procedure for you.

Nobody held a gun to Milwaukee's heads and said, "YOU MUST DRAFT YI." His camp refused workouts in certain cities because they didn't want to deal with this issue. They handled things the right way. Are they right for doing it? Not necessarily, but it's understandable to see why they want Yi in a city with more of a Chinese presence.

And again, if he decides to refuse to play for Milwaukee, who gets screwed, Yi or Milwaukee? If he can't force a trade, he can always play in another league. The Bucks can't get their pick back. It's like Fran Vasquez or Frederick Weis. And just like those two picks, you blame the moron GM that picked them, not the picky player who'd rather not be in your city, no matter what their reasoning is.

You can hold the draft ransom. Ask Glenn Robinson. Ask Danny Ferry. This isn't a new thing you know, Yi didn't invent the "I don't want to play in your city" stance because of someone's poor draft choices.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Low
    So Steve Francis I mean Yi is lookin for a trade...thats awesome...
    Who knows if Yi is the driving force??? All thats being reported is how his representatives are pushing for this. This crap has gone beyond basketball. Damn shame you cant draft an asian player because his country, peoples might pull this stunt. Damn shame you cant draft a euro because they are locked in a BS deal where buyouts are insane for some (not all). I mean the Spurs have 2 players on the same team and both have ridiculous buyouts.

You cant even see Scola who some say is the best european player right now because the team he plays for has him handcuffed. By time he comes might be the following season if that. Spent numerous years doing what? Da hell i care about his accomplishments, feats overseas for.

Some times its the players, some times is the people who give them advice pushing it. And some times its a lil of both. I dont think Yi is pushing for this...unless he has statements saying otherwise. And that? I dont know.

Philadelphia has a nice asian population and China town is the shyt. Yi in Phil-yi

NBA lottery pick

You can hold the draft ransom. Ask Glenn Robinson. Ask Danny Ferry. This isn't a new thing you know, Yi didn't invent the "I don't want to play in your city" stance because of someone's poor draft choices.
    These guys seem to conveniently overlook that, based on the fact that MOST guys actually don't mind going where they're selected, at least not that much that they want to create waves.

But if more players started doing it, what's the NBA going to do? Say, "well you can't do that because you violate the integrity of the draft?" They can't make people sign a contract. That's the point of a contract.

Free agency was based on one guy deciding he didn't want to play somewhere he wanted to go to another team for more money.

Mathius

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Who knows if Yi is the driving force??? All thats being reported is how his representatives are pushing for this. This crap has gone beyond basketball. Damn shame you cant draft an asian player because his country, peoples might pull this stunt. Damn shame you cant draft a euro because they are locked in a BS deal where buyouts are insane for some (not all). I mean the Spurs have 2 players on the same team and both have ridiculous buyouts.
    Exactly. It's like I said earlier in the thread. It used to take YEARS before an overseas player could be cleared to come to the US and these guys are *****ing because a country won't let some guy play for one team?

How long did it take Toni Kukoc to get his contract cleared to come play for the Bulls? Wasn't he drafted in like 88 and didn't play a pro game until like 94?

Mathius

Good High School Starter

I see the point you tried to make but the example you used isnt similar to getting drafted in the NBA.
    I agree, it's definitely not a very good translation, but the military draft really didn't apply, and I couldn't really think of anything off the top of my head that wasn't a sports reference.

Players entering the draft should not be allowed to dictate where they want to go. Thats the problem. You're a talented athlete who can help my franchise but I cant pick you because you want to tell me certain teams you will play for? I mean come on...you've proven nothing in your life when it comes to being an NBA player. Bad enough your contract is guranteed. But you want to run the show as well?
    But that's just it, they -always- dictate where they go. Shoe companies, endorsement deals, agents, "advisers", "handlers", friends who already work in franchise or friends who are current NBA players, and who knows how many other people out there have an effect on where a player ends up? Hell, according to many David Stern himself is responsible for where a player ends up. And, not only that, but this year has brought the tanking issue back into the media. I only mention that because by tanking, teams are able to dictate where they pick, and therefore who they pick. So there's plenty of people everywhere manipulating and massaging the system. You'll never have a black and white system where nobody determines the outcome in any way, you'll always have that gray area.

Sure its easy to say "Well then dont draft him"...well then someone behind me will and get a f*cking GEM. And how is that fair? I have to take a lower rated player hope he pans out and is as good if not BETTER than Yi because this persons "handlers" want to tell the league who he will and wont play for? Its ridiculous. Its a privilege, an honor to be DRAFTED. If we got people wanting to tell you who they play for and who not? Scrap the draft...first come first serve. Hey Al Horford...you wont get drafted so find an NBA team you want to play for. Ask them to sign you. Yo Mike wanna play with Greg? Hey package deal to a team you like. What you're both Cavs fans? Excellant.
    Well, it's not like Yi is going to be the next Jordan. And it's not like there were only six good players in the draft, and if Milwaukee didn't pick Yi they were only going to get the next Serge Zwikker or something.

It's easy to say that it's an honor and a privilege to be drafted, if you can turn your back on all of the people who piss all over that honor and privilege on an annual basis. These days, it's not an honor to be drafted, it's a burden. You've got to jump through a billion hoops, to go through the highly bull**** scouting process, only to have scouts come up with things that have NOTHING to do with reality when compared to you. They gush over crap while they ignore diamonds in the rough. And that also influences who is picked where.

I can see the whole idea of "Why would you want someone not on your team then? Skip them", but I can see why people frown on spoiled brats (Eli Manning, Kobe, STeve) or bad counseling (n Yi's case cuz i read he doesnt care about playing for Milw). As reppy mentioned it kills the integrity of the draft process entirely. And this isnt reserved for the NBA. Major sports teams have been victims of a select few pricks. But I'm not gonna spend too much time bashing Yi's peoples or whatever...in the end? Its whatever to me.

Philly wouldnt mind Yi.
    That's really the only feasible choice you can make; not to draft them. If you draft them, you're only going to have to deal with bull****. If you don't draft them, you don't have to deal with the bull****. Problem solved. And there are plenty of people they could've picked in his place. And, who knows, maybe Milwaukee only drafted him so they could trade him at a later date, and they're keeping it -really- under wraps. Yeah, I don't think it's likely either, but ya never know.

It's hard to kill the integrity of something that really doesn't have integrity to begin with. Tanking, conspiracy theories, bribery, manipulation, deception.. the NBA draft has as much integrity as dealing drugs.

And yeah, I'm with ya. I really couldn't care less about Yi. The only thing that was of any interest to me about it, was Bill Simmons busting on him for working out against a chair. And, I couldn't care less about Milwaukee either. But it's just funny to see all of the *****ies get their panties in a bunch over something like this, when it's so cut and dried.

If a player doesn't want to come to your city for whatever reason, don't draft him.

Any possible reason that you can come up with for why you should draft him anyway and force him to come to your city will NOT result in a positive outcome, so why bother? Make the intelligent choice and either set up a deal for someone who wants said player, or pick someone else. It's smart, it's safe, and most of all, it makes sense.
    Last edited by JalenRawley; 06-29-2007 at 05:20 PM.

Loserville USA FireMcFailPlease's Avatar

what a *****, i hope he busts

Local High School Star

why WOULD you want to play for the Milwaukee Bucks?