Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Guys, Blatt and McHale cant coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    #Jim Buss u stink cause the radio told me u do
    FAIL

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Eye Test
    FAIL

To be fair, when I made this thread I didnt know the Lakers were gonna keep Kobe around this long.

Definitely a fail on ownership's part.

McHale has always been horrible. Scott Brooks was much worse tho. Doc Rivers just needs the right kind of guys for his inspiration speech style to work.

Dude...You thought Jim Buss was good

Nothing can be done to repair your reputation at this point. Hold this huge L, hold it with PRIDE.

There was no way Buss was going to hire Colonel Sanders. Too much interpersonal friction there.

Local High School Star EllEffEll's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP
    There was no way Buss was going to hire Colonel Sanders. Too much interpersonal friction there.
    The pimp gene that the elder Buss possessed is not present in Jim Buss.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorP

Wouldnt have mattered anyway. Phil was not gonna do anything with these Laker squads anyway. As someone else pointed out, all the coaches since Phil left have been Coach of the Year winners. Kobe has simply become too poisonous. Theres nothing any coach can do.

Buss traded for CP3, it got rescinded.
    Buss brought in Howard and Nash, both stars at the time. Kobe poisoned it.
    Buss hired the gy KOBE wanted (Dantoni). Kobe ran him outta town.

Kobe is a legit cancer. He doesnt want the team to succeed unless hes a superstar. He litrally goes out of his way to PREVENT the team from winning if hes not getting his shine.

Dude has been giving a massive middle finger to Laker fans for years now, and his stan-tards still love him.

Local High School Star EllEffEll's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Wouldnt have mattered anyway. Phil was not gonna do anything with these Laker squads anyway. As someone else pointed out, all the coaches since Phil left have been Coach of the Year winners. Kobe has simply become too poisonous. Theres nothing any coach can do.

Buss traded for CP3, it got rescinded.
    Buss brought in Howard and Nash, both stars at the time. Kobe poisoned it.
    Buss hired the gy KOBE wanted (Dantoni). Kobe ran him outta town.

Kobe is a legit cancer. He doesnt want the team to succeed unless hes a superstar. He litrally goes out of his way to PREVENT the team from winning if hes not getting his shine.

Dude has been giving a massive middle finger to Laker fans for years now, and his stan-tards still love him.
    I'm not writing this to defend Kobe. He has faults in spite of his tremendous talent (that is rapidly declining). This about Jim Buss' role in the Laker's fall from the elite, where they were once considered one of the most revered franchises in all of sport. Now, they are even the best basketball franchise in Los Angeles. That would be . . . . . . (are you effing kidding me?) . . . . . the Clippers. Five years ago, they won back to back championships with three consecutive trips to the finals. Kobe was here and figured prominently in that. Jim Buss was still waiting in the wings to take over the reigns. Jim Buss is what has happened since then.

The NBA bent the Lakers over on the CP3 deal. Had nothing to do with Kobe. It had something to do with the Buss family buying their way to championships, but it was not Jim's fault that the league did what they did.

That said, in the fallout of the CP3 fiasco, the Lakers handled the Lamar Odom situation poorly IMHO. I think he may have come around in time, but they pulled the trigger very quickly when Lamar (over)reacted the way he did. I can't see how Kobe is responsible for that.

Jim Buss cleaned house of everyone associated with PJ's time with the Lakers. I think he kept the peanut vendors, but that's about it.

It was no secret that Mike Brown was not really head coach material. An excellent assistant, and a true gentleman? Yes, absolutely. Head Coach? Everybody with half a basketball mind knew that was over his head from his time in Cleveland.

Howard stated he would likely have stayed if Phil got hired instead of D'Antoni. What Jim Buss was really doing was hiring 'anyone but Phil'. While I don't believe that hiring Phil back (and retaining Howard) would have meant automatic championships, I would bet good money it would have turned out better than hiring D'Antoni. Jim Buss effed that up, not Kobe.

Nash was already declining, and turned out to be a huge bust. Jim Buss did that, not Kobe.

Jim Buss offered Kobe the contract that is crippling them now. To be fair, Kobe could have turned it down, but players that would suggest they be paid less are few and far between. I lay some blame with both of them on that count, but more with Jim Buss.

If Phil had been hired, and Howard might have stayed, it's possible that other marquee players could have been signed, and it may have made sense to pay Nash, but not have him play (or get rid of him).

I do give credence to the theory that with the current situation, big name FA's are not inclined to sign with the Lakers because Kobe's contract makes it virtually impossible to fill out a competitive roster if they take on another fat contract. And it doesn't sound like fun to deal with Kobe when the team would ultimately flounder mid-pack.

This means that the Lakers are not currently the destination for top-shelf talent like they had been for most of the Jerry Buss era. In my estimation, the problem is not with the talent the Lakers currently have on their roster. That could be fixed with a good front office. If top-shelf talent had faith that Jim Buss could get the ship righted, I think they would be compelled to at least consider signing with the Lakers.

It may be true that Kobe plays a part in this situation beyond his contract. I don't think Byron Scott is the right coach for a team with Kobe. Sadly, there aren't many coaches that can handle that assignment successfully. I think Byron would have been a better choice after Kobe's retirement, but that horse has left the barn.

As it is, I think the Lakers are seen as a team to be avoided because of Jim Buss, and unlike Kobe, he is likely to be around for longer than Kobe.

Dude could foul up a wet dream.

No, he actually has fouled up a wet dream.

^^ TL;DR

whatever, you can be sure that once Kobe leaves and the Lakers have that huge cap space, the franchise would be attractive again to free agents.

there's not just any fun in going to a team with Kobe on it. not only are you not going to get paid a lot (because Kobe's eating up the cap), but you can also be sure you'd be cussed out by Kobe if you don't cater to him. then the blame will be put all on you and you will be asked to do all the dirty work but get none of the credit.

no free agent would willingly submit themselves to that.

there is no defending Jim Buss
    the Lakers are now more incompetently ran than the Knicks

Kobe should have retired a few years ago