Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Predict '96 Michael Jordan's Stats in 2016 Upcoming NBA Season

What would 1996 Michael Jordan's stats look like in the upcoming 2016 NBA Season?

NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Predict '96 Michael Jordan's Stats in 2016 Upcoming NBA Season

On a bad team: 32-33 pts/7 reb/6 ast/2.5+ stl/1 blk/50-51% FG/61% TS

On a good (contending) team: 30+/7/5-6/2.5+ stl/1 blk/51-52% FG/62+% TS

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    On a bad team: 32-33 pts/7 reb/6 ast/2.5+ stl/1 blk/50-51% FG/61% TS

On a good (contending) team: 30+/7/5-6/2.5+ stl/1 blk/51-52% FG/62+% TS
    I'm thinking his ppg would be higher. Phil Jackson said Jordan was better than Kobe at pretty much everything. Imagine peak Kobe in today's league. Hell, a 37 year old Kobe put up 20 the other night. Peak Kobe would be averaging about 35ppg right now. In other words, he would be nearly unstoppable.

Now, as I said, Phil Jackson said Jordan was better at pretty much everything versus a peak Kobe. So, Jordan, in my opinion, would average 45ppg maybe even higher. I use to watch Jordan's Bulls. Jordan was literary unstoppable. He could score at will.

Depends. Good team or bad/ average team?

I'll say something like 33/7/6 49% on an average team, 31/6/6 50% on a great team, knock off an assist or two if inside the triangle.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonyeuw
    Depends. Good team or bad/ average team?

I'll say something like 33/7/6 49% on an average team, 31/6/6 50% on a great team, knock off an assist or two if inside the triangle.
    If 05 Kobe can average 35ppg, you know Jordan going to at least get 40ppg or Phil Jackson doesn't know basketball. Phil Jackson coached both Jordan and Kobe. He said Jordan's better.
    Last edited by Foster5k; 10-15-2015 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foster5k
    I'm thinking his ppg would be higher. Phil Jackson said Jordan was better than Kobe at pretty much everything. Imagine peak Kobe in today's league. Hell, a 37 year old Kobe put up 20 the other night. Peak Kobe would be averaging about 35ppg right now. In other words, he would be nearly unstoppable.

Now, as I said, Phil Jackson said Jordan was better at pretty much everything versus a peak Kobe. So, Jordan, in my opinion, would average 45ppg maybe even higher. I use to watch Jordan's Bulls. Jordan was literary unstoppable. He could score at will.
    Kobe averaged 35 PPG ONCE in his career. I consider '08 to be Kobe's peak and dude averaged 28 PPG. This is not a different era and rules haven't changed since '05.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    Kobe averaged 35 PPG ONCE in his career.
    So, you do think '96 Jordan would average more than 35 PPG in 2016?

If 05 Kobe can average 35ppg, you know Jordan going to at least get 40ppg or Phil Jackson doesn't know basketball. Phil Jackson coached both Jordan and Kobe. He said Jordan's better.
    It depends on team needs as much as capability. Could he get 35-40 on a team with few offensive options and a green light like Kobe did? Sure. Kobe went from 35ppg in 2006 to 28 in 2008. Do you think he suddenly lost offensive ability, or did he just have more options around him where he didnt need to score that much? I'm aware of what Phil said, and he didnt give MJ the edge in every category. No objective person watching both would say MJ is better in every catergory, but better overall? Yes.

NBA lottery pick

I'm aware of what Phil said, and he didnt give MJ the edge in every category. No objective person watching both would say MJ is better in every catergory, but better overall? Yes.
    Did you read what I wrote? I said Phil said he was better at pretty much everything. I didn't say everything.

Anyhow, Jordan on the Lakers in 2008 would average, in my opinion, more than 28ppg at a higher efficiency.

Tolerant Liberals

It depends on team needs as much as capability. Could he get 35-40 on a team with few offensive options and a green light like Kobe did? Sure. Kobe went from 35ppg in 2006 to 28 in 2008. Do you think he suddenly lost offensive ability, or did he just have more options around him where he didnt need to score that much? I'm aware of what Phil said, and he didnt give MJ the edge in every category. No objective person watching both would say MJ is better in every catergory, but better overall? Yes.
    Every category except 3pt shooting, and even that is very close. 32.7% vs 33.4%

So, you do think '96 Jordan would average more than 35 PPG in 2016?
    Nope. He'd average what he did in '96 (on a contender). His TS% would be ~3% higher though.

Replace Wade with MJ on the Heat and barring injuries, he'd win MVP and FMVP. All-NBA first team and All-Defensive first team.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    Every category except 3pt shooting, and even that is very close. 32.7% vs 33.4%
    Exactly. Basically, I'm not trying to turn this into a Jordan vs Kobe thread. Kobe is just one of the guys that is easy to compare to Jordan for this example.

Peak Kobe was an offensive master. In today's NBA, he could average 35ppg. Phil Jackson, who has coached both Kobe and Jordan and won championships with both, said Jordan was better at pretty much everything compared to Kobe.

With that logic, I'm assuming Jordan would at least average 40-45ppg in today's league. Hell, I remember Alonzo Mourning saying Jordan would average 50ppg.

Did you read what I wrote? I said Phil said he was better at pretty much everything. I didn't say everything.

Anyhow, Jordan on the Lakers in 2008 would average, in my opinion, more than 28ppg at a higher efficiency.
    I didnt say thats what *you* said. And Phil himself hasnt said he's better at pretty much everything. Theres a vid out there where Phil says Kobe may be more skilled in terms of overall shooting, but then he spoke about MJ's physical advantages especially his hands, broader shoulders, bigger body that allowed to do things *physically* that Kobe is incapable of.

Exactly. Basically, I'm not trying to turn this into a Jordan vs Kobe thread. Kobe is just one of the guys that is easy to compare to Jordan for this example.

Peak Kobe was an offensive master. In today's NBA, he could average 35ppg. Phil Jackson, who has coached both Kobe and Jordan and won championships with both, said Jordan was better at pretty much everything compared to Kobe.

With that logic, I'm assuming Jordan would at least average 40-45ppg in today's league. Hell, I remember Alonzo Mourning saying Jordan would average 50ppg.
    What makes today's NBA different from '07-'13 NBA?

Everyone of your posts have made it a Kobe/ MJ thing, so not a very good effort if you're trying to avoid that. Just because several players have come out and said MJ *would/could* average 40, doesnt mean he will. That entire discussion is basically mostly about the state of the game, in that without handchecking and very perimeter friendly rules he'd have a field day getting to the basket and at the free throw line. That is true, but its slightly hyperbolic to say MJ is going average 40 or even worse, 45, unless he was literally on the worst team in the league and he was taking 30 shots a night. On a good team with other options, theres no way he'd shoot enough to get near that.
    Last edited by Dragonyeuw; 10-15-2015 at 06:39 PM.