College superstar

Default To Foul or Not to Foul, Up 3 in the Closing Seconds

After countless players have hit long 3s to tie in the closing seconds, the NBA has seen a switch in conventional wisdom to fouling the opposition, especially in the last 5 seconds, to put them on the line to shoot two down 3.

But Saturday night we saw two such plays end horrendously for the defense.

Lillard hit a 3 with the foul to go up 1 when Rubio grabbed him up 3. Towns hit a last second winner to wipe it out but it happened. Dubious continuation, but close enough. Then 2 minutes later in the OKC game the refs gave Westbrook the worst continuation call I have ever seen. Westbrook was fouled while dribbling, as in wasn't even touching the ball when the foul was committed, then he grabbed the ball, threw it into the stands and was somehow awarded 3 FTs (made all 3 to tie). Ibaka clubbed Rudy Gay on his last second drive and Sac won, but that play almost cost them the game.

If officials are going to give continuation when the ball is not even in a player's hands when the foul is committed, I don't know if its a play you can make.

If you are coaching, what do you do up 3 and on defense?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: To Foul or Not to Foul, Up 3 in the Closing Seconds

if you can trust everyone on the floor not to pull a super bonehead play than you foul

if you have some players that you think might choke and screw things up then everyone dont touch them

if the player is indecisive on the intentional foul the player with the ball can attempt to draw contact while hoisting up a shot and potentially get 3 free throws

Decent playground baller

Default Re: To Foul or Not to Foul, Up 3 in the Closing Seconds

Such a huge gamble. With limited time, the refs are expecting a shot so I think they are more likely to call continuation. I would only do it if the player has his back to the basket well beyond the 3 point line. The moment they start a move, even if it is while dribbling, would be very bad timing.