Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Decent college freshman bruceblitz's Avatar

Default Kobe Bryant vs LeBron James, the 3 point shot, first 6 seasons comparison

Kobe attempted [COLOR="Sienna"]933 3 pointers in his first 6 seasons in the NBA[/COLOR], Kobe made [COLOR="Red"]293[/COLOR] of them, shooting 31.4% from 3 point land. LeBron is in his 6th season and he's averaged making 32.7%. LeBron has made [COLOR="Red"]608[/COLOR] out of [COLOR="Sienna"]1862 3 pointers [/COLOR]in his first 5 and a little over half a season.

Simple math: LeBron's 3 point % is 1.3% higher than Kobe's was at this point, LeBron has made 315 more 3 pointers at this point in his career than Kobe did, actually, you can add on however many 3 pointers LeBron makes by the end of the season to that massive gap!

LeBron is clearly more of an outside gunner than Kobe was early on in his career. You gotta figure the guy's gonna shoot nearly 40% one year if he keeps working on it. I mean if Dirk can shoot 40% from 3 point land, I'm sure LeBron will one day.

LeBron shoots 32.7% for his career and Kobe shoots 34% for his career from the 3 point line. LeBron's 3 point % for his career will come up because his shot has improved drastically and he's still improving.

This year?
    Kobe:
    3 point shooting = 33.5%
    field goal percentage = 47.2%
    free throw shooting = 87.0%

LeBron:
    3 point shooting = 33.9%
    field goal percentage = 48.8%
    free throw shooting = 77%

Kobe averages nearly 2 more shots per game than LeBron, LeBron takes nearly 1 more 3 pointer per game than Kobe, Kobe averages 28 points per game, LeBron averages 28.1 points per game. LeBron is the more efficient scorer. He has been the more efficient scorer for nearly 4 years now.

I give Kobe props for shooting such a high free throw percentage. That's damn good. His free throw shooting is the strength of his scoring efficiency. Obviously he hits some hard contested shots, but I'm saying, just look at the numbers, he will go down as one of the better free throw shooting scorers from this current era. I'm surprized more KB fans haven't caught on to that. This may sound retarded, but I like watching Wade shoot mid-range J's because he just has this silky smooth form, LeBron obviously is the rim smasher, and Kobe is fun to watch the way he shoots free throws, when he makes one he holds his hand up in the air like MJ did when he hit his final game winner as a Bull. Kobe shoots every free throw with intensity. All 3 of them are brutal to watch shoot the 3 ball after watching the way guys like Reggie and Glen Rice shot 3's in the 90's. The crazy thing is that numbers don't lie, when compared to Wade and Kobe, LeBron is the superior outside shooter, even with that "iffy" form. If you are the type of fan that watches highlight packages on ESPN, watches highlight videos and mixes on youtube, you might not be able to get to the bottom line like I did.
    Last edited by bruceblitz; 03-10-2009 at 09:18 PM.

Decent college freshman bruceblitz's Avatar

Default Re: Kobe Bryant vs LeBron James, the 3 point shot, first 6 seasons comparison

Quote Originally Posted by bruceblitz
    Kobe averages nearly 2 more shots per game than LeBron, LeBron takes nearly 1 more 3 pointer per game than Kobe, Kobe averages 28 points per game, LeBron averages 28.1 points per game. LeBron is the more efficient scorer. He has been the more efficient scorer for nearly 4 years now.

Kobe attempted 933 3 pointers in his first 6 seasons in the NBA, Kobe made 293 of them, shooting 31.4% from 3 point land. LeBron is in his 6th season and he's averaged making 32.7%. LeBron has made 608 out of 1862 3 pointers in his first 5 and a little over half a season.

LeBron is clearly more of an outside gunner than Kobe was early on in his career. You gotta figure the guy's gonna shoot nearly 40% one year if he keeps working on it. I mean if Dirk can shoot 40% from 3 point land, I'm sure LeBron will one day.

LeBron shoots 32.7% for his career and Kobe shoots 34% for his career from the 3 point line. LeBron's 3 point % for his career will come up because his shot has improved drastically and he's still improving.

This year?
    Kobe:
    3 point shooting = 33.5%
    field goal percentage = 47.2%
    free throw shooting = 87.0%

LeBron:
    3 point shooting = 33.9%
    field goal percentage = 48.8%
    free throw shooting = 77%

I give Kobe props for shooting such a high free throw percentage. That's damn good. His free throw shooting is the strength of his scoring efficiency. Obviously he hits some hard contested shots, but I'm saying, just look at the numbers, he will go down as one of the better free throw shooting scorers from this current era. I'm surprized more KB fans haven't caught on to that. This may sound retarded, but I like watching Wade shoot mid-range J's because he just has this silky smooth form, LeBron obviously is the rim smasher, and Kobe is fun to watch the way he shoots free throws, when he makes one he holds his hand up in the air like MJ did when he hit his final game winner as a Bull. Kobe shoots every free throw with intensity. The crazy thing is that numbers don't lie, when compared to Wade and Kobe, LeBron is the superior outside shooter. If you are the type of fan that watches highlight packages on ESPN, watches highlight videos and mixes on youtube, you might not be able to get to the bottom line like I did.
    Oh by the way, I have a sense of humor but labeling me as "Crazed" for engaging in that flame-fest with a homer, it's a little much, but oh well. Just read the information.

Default Re: Kobe Bryant vs LeBron James, the 3 point shot, first 6 seasons comparison

"Crazed nutcase here for your amusement"

NBA Finals

Quote Originally Posted by Allstar24

aka Poodle Bark

You gotta figure the guy's gonna shoot nearly 40% one year if he keeps working on it. I mean if Dirk can shoot 40% from 3 point land, I'm sure LeBron will one day.

The crazy thing is that numbers don't lie, when compared to Wade and Kobe, LeBron is the superior outside shooter
    If by outside you mean outside the 3 point line then yeah maybe. But LeBron is nowhere near the mid range shooter Wade/Kobe are.

shhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Allstar24

haha well they got that one right...

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Oh by the way, I have a sense of humor but labeling me as "Crazed" for engaging in that flame-fest with a homer, it's a little much, but oh well. Just read the information.
    Hey, you should quote yourself again. You know, just for our amusement.

shhhhhhh

hey they just opened a jersey mikes subs in my town... these things any good?

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gts
    hey they just opened a jersey mikes subs in my town... these things any good?
    They're alright, pretty much your run of the mill sub place

Go Spurs Go

So Lebron has shot double the amount of threes Kobe did during their first 6 seasons? How is that a good thing?

The fact that Lebron is shooting slightly better then young Kobe does not outweigh the fact that he's settling for so many damn threes.

Whats worse is you start comparing him to Dirk... If Im a Lebron homer I want him to be Jordan, not Dirk.

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzle-2k7
    So Lebron has shot double the amount of threes Kobe did during their first 6 seasons? How is that a good thing?

The fact that Lebron is shooting slightly better then young Kobe does not outweigh the fact that he's settling for so many damn threes.

Whats worse is you start comparing him to Dirk... If Im a Lebron homer I want him to be Jordan, not Dirk.
    Jordan only shot 32% from deep....

Local High School Star The Answer's Avatar

I mean if Dirk can shoot 40% from 3 point land, I'm sure LeBron will one day.
    What is that even supposed to mean? Dirk is a great shooter, one of the best of this era. Say what you want about Dirk. Call him soft or a chocker. Just don't question his shooting ability. Such an absurd accusation will instantly get you labeled as a fool. Shooting is inarguably one of the strongest facets of his game, and it's absolutely preposterous to take for granted that Lebron will match him in that regard.

one of the few things he was right about.

The ISH'ers Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by riseagainst
    one of the few things he was right about.

Indeed. The other BS thou...not.

First 8 Playoff appearances by both Kobe and Lebron.

Lebron's average 3P% = .323, rounded, .324. (3PA = 605) - Games: 138.

Kobe's average 3P% = .345. (3PA = 526) - Games: 125.

Kobe has averaged at or above .400 from 3 twice within his first 8 playoff appearances. Lebron once, at exactly .400.
    Last edited by PickernRoller; 08-15-2013 at 07:17 PM.

I mean if Dirk can shoot 40% from 3 point land, I'm sure LeBron will one day.
    dafuq kinda argument is that what da fack