Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default Super Typhoon in the Phillippines: Winds up to 235 mph!!!!

Damn.
    Super Typhoon Haiyan, which slammed into the Philippines early Friday morning, is one of the strongest storms ever recorded on the planet. Here are some fast facts about the storm:
    Super Typhoon Haiyan has winds of 195 mph and gusts of 235 mph. This is one of the highest wind speeds ever recorded in a storm in world history.

• The strength of Haiyan is equal to that of an extremely powerful Category 5 hurricane in the Atlantic. (Typhoons are the same type of storms as hurricanes).

• No hurricane in the Atlantic has ever been this strong.

• It's possible Haiyan could become the strongest storm ever recorded to make landfall, anywhere on Earth.

• The storm is over 300 miles wide: The width is about equal to the distance between Boston and Philadelphia.

About 10 million people live on the central Philippine islands and are most at risk of a direct strike from Haiyan.

• A storm surge as high as 15 feet is possible in some parts of the Philippines.

• A 50-mile wide swath of 8+ inches of rain is predicted to cross the central Philippines, which will lead to dangerous flash floods and mudslides.
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 11-07-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Default Re: Super Typhoon in the Phillippines: Winds up to 235 mph!!!!

Scary stuff. A storm surge as big as Hurricane Sandy's with much higher winds.

be safe all of our pinoy friends!

im trying so hard not to make the obvious midget joke here.

Banned

Stay safe from Cali.

I post-up midgets magic chiongson's Avatar

one of the cities on its path has almost a million people and just got hit by an earthquake a month ago

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DuMa
    im trying so hard not to make the obvious midget joke here.

I feel you bro. Im holding back on some Kobe jokes.

But honestly I do hope everyones ok

Hurricane Sandy strongest point was when the low pressure hit 940 mbar before it hit land was like 970 when it did.

This is well below that at 895 mb pressure. No storm has ever hit land at this strength before. Just saw a hurricane expert say the devastation near the coast "will be complete."

so the super typhoon likely made landfall with winds near 195 mph. This makes Haiyan the strongest tropical cyclone on record to make landfall in world history.....

Extreme damage likely in the Philippines
    Wind damage in Guiuan (population 47,000) must have been catastrophic, perhaps the greatest wind damage any city on Earth has endured from a tropical cyclone in the past century. A massive storm surge must have also caused great destruction along a 20-mile swath to the north of where the eye hit,
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 11-07-2013 at 07:41 PM.

   

jesus.

any idea how much time they had to bunker down or even flee to some other country? not that their bunkering options were likely of much use. :/

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    jesus.

any idea how much time they had to bunker down or even flee to some other country? not that their bunkering options were likely of much use. :/
    doesn't matter how much time they had. much of the country is so poor and the infrastructure is so bad that they would have nowhere to go. praying for my friends there and the entire pacific rim. casualties are going to be massive

That's horrible. They have literally no chance.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    jesus.

You can see these storms coming days in advance but the problem with these typhoons/tropical storms is that it's pretty hard to predict when it's an exceptional one. The Philippines are hit by what, 30 odd potential typhoons a year? It's not very feasible to mount massive evacuations for a threat that is so common.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

i was reading about this storm this morning. i couldn't find how many casualties they expect? i hope the number is not high, nor the cost of the storm. the philippines will receive american aid but i hope it's not overly-expensive.

and the people who survive the initial storm will have to deal with disease, lack of food, water and shelter. it's going to tragic

   

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    You can see these storms coming days in advance but the problem with these typhoons/tropical storms is that it's pretty hard to predict when it's an exceptional one. The Philippines are hit by what, 30 odd potential typhoons a year? It's not very feasible to mount massive evacuations for a threat that is so common.
    right, so how long did they have once it was found that it would be a super mega storm?

i realise we