Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011

Default Re: Post like it's 1990

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaeh
    What's funny is that's exactly how it was back then. While Magic and Bird's teams were seen as more complete and more "fundamentally sound", Jordan was seen more as the entertainment, or "opening act" if you will, while you waited until the "Main Show" of Magic/Bird/Zeke to start.

It's hard to believe now, but make no mistake, Jordan was actually getting the "Stepchild" treatment, while he was expected to carry an average team on his shoulders for his entire career. I think it worked out better this way, because once Jordan had Pippen to play off of, he made sure to stay on top, and trump any accomplishments that his contemporaries achieved.

And yeah, it was indeed 1990 that Jordan finally shaved his head. It was strange at first, but began to look natural after a while. The fact that his head was perfectly round didn't hurt either.
    Jordan had a shaved head for a few games in 1988, which was when he started losing his hair. In 1989 he was completely bald. It didn't take him long to shave it.

What's funny is that's exactly how it was back then. While Magic and Bird's teams were seen as more complete and more "fundamentally sound", Jordan was seen more as the entertainment, or "opening act" if you will, while you waited until the "Main Show" of Magic/Bird/Zeke to start.

It's hard to believe now, but make no mistake, Jordan was actually getting the "Stepchild" treatment, while he was expected to carry an average team on his shoulders for his entire career. I think it worked out better this way, because once Jordan had Pippen to play off of, he made sure to stay on top, and trump any accomplishments that his contemporaries achieved.

And yeah, it was indeed 1990 that Jordan finally shaved his head. It was strange at first, but began to look natural after a while. The fact that his head was perfectly round didn't hurt either.
    It didn't really look strange at all because Jordan already had a shaved head at certain points in his career. I think in his sophomore year at UNC he shaved it for the first time. It also looked shaved at certain points in his rookie season.

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Why did Jordan shaved his head?
    Hereditary baldness from his dad. I remember when it started around 1988 or so, and you can tell MJ was trying to "hold on" to whatever hair he had left. He was only about 25 at the time too. Maybe his dad finally told him to just except his fate. But it paid off for him in the end though.

1985 MJ:

1988 MJ:

1990 MJ:

Hereditary baldness from his dad. I remember when it started around 1988 or so, and you can tell MJ was trying to "hold on" to whatever hair he had left. He was only about 25 at the time too. Maybe his dad finally told him to just except his fate. But it paid off for him in the end though.

1985 MJ:

1988 MJ:

1990 MJ:

The middle picture is actually from 1986 when he was on Letterman

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AngelEyes
    The middle picture is actually from 1986 when he was on Letterman
    Thanks AngelEyes. I just pulled that pic down from the "1988 MJ" google database, and that's what came up. That's how his hair was looking in 88 also.

Thanks for the info.

NBA rookie of the year

The shaved head was a marketing slam dunk for Nike/NBA/McDonalds even if it was unintentional.

It made Jordan stand out even more from every other player (or athlete) and soon became trendy and cool. I remember that, the stereotypical "look" of a basketball player quickly changed from a dude in short-shorts and puffy hair to baggy shorts and a shaved head ... so goes the 1980s ... hello to the 90s.

But yes, Jordan had shaved his head years before that while in North Carolina with no fan fare or fuss.
    Last edited by Soundwave; 02-08-2012 at 04:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwave
    The shaved head was a marketing slam dunk for Nike/NBA/McDonalds even if it was unintentional.

It made Jordan stand out even more from every other player (or athlete) and soon became trendy and cool. I remember that, the stereotypical "look" of a basketball player quickly changed from a dude in short-shorts and puffy hair to baggy shorts and a shaved head ... 1980s meet the future.

But yes, Jordan had shaved his head years before that while in North Carolina with no fan fare or fuss.
    You're right he shaved it during his Junior Season because he was struggling early on and he wanted a fresh start, so he played against NC State completely bald. It made him look much older, like late 80's/early 90's Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by VIP2000
    I just bought 10 Derrick Coleman rookie cards for $500! What a deal!