Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    College superstar

Default Re: Top ten players in the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeApe
    You're trying too hard to go against the grain. Durant could win the MVP and the vast majority will still consider LeBron the best player in the game (ala Shaq, Jordan).
    So you're telling me that if Durant averages 32/9/5 on 50/40/90 next season and Lebron averages 25/8/7, people won't see Durant as better?

Durant scored 28.1ppg on 17.7fga last season. With the loss of Kmart, I'm sure he's going to put up over 20fga and increase his scoring output.

Keep in mind, Durant will improve. He's still only 24 years old. He's going to be a monster and will eventually overtake Lebron. It might even happen next season.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    So you're telling me that if Durant averages 32/9/5 on 50/40/90 next season and Lebron averages 25/8/7, people won't see Durant as better?

Durant scored 28.1ppg on 17.7fga last season. With the loss of Kmart, I'm sure he's going to put up over 20fga and increase his scoring output.

Keep in mind, Durant will improve. He's still only 24 years old. He's going to be a monster and will eventually overtake Lebron. It might even happen next season.
    No way lol lebron just won 2 straight titles

We still pretending Durant is the 2nd best player in the league?

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    Aside from Lebron, who is better than Durant?

NBA lottery pick

Who's better? All the other top players are coming off injuries.

Yeah, and people used to think Penny and Grant Hill would takeover as the best players in the league. It doesn't always work out that way and new players come along to take the #1 spot.

3-time NBA All-Star

Yeah, and people used to think Penny and Grant Hill would takeover as the best players in the league. It doesn't always work out that way and new players come along to take the #1 spot.
    Well, you're leaving out that they were injured. They may have been there if they didn't get injured. Its not like new players came along and overtook them while they were healthy. Don't get me wrong, I think the both of them are overrated as shit when people say outlandish shit like they were as good as Kobe or Lebron have been. But you can make the argument that they were already top 5 in the league at some point in their career before they got injured. Unless you think Durant is going to get injured or that there's someone else thats on their way to being better then him, which I don't see at all, then I don't understand what argument there is for him not to be #2.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

I don't understand why it so assumed that Durant is going to get all that much better.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Well, you're leaving out that they were injured. They may have been there if they didn't get injured. Its not like new players came along and overtook them while they were healthy. Don't get me wrong, I think the both of them are overrated as shit when people say outlandish shit like they were as good as Kobe or Lebron have been. But you can make the argument that they were already top 5 in the league at some point in their career before they got injured. Unless you think Durant is going to get injured or that there's someone else thats on their way to being better then him, which I don't see at all, then I don't understand what argument there is for him not to be #2.
    Exactly.

Not only that, but at least statistically, Durant is right there with Lebron.

Advanced statistics in defense also put Durant's defense at or above Lebron's level.

Durant's team is just getting worse and worse. What people don't realize is that Durant was only 23 years old when he went to the Finals against Lebron who was 27. After that, OKC has been making bad decisions or losing players to injury (WB).

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Who's to say Durant won't be another Vince Carter or T-Mac? There's ALWAYS a "the next guy" or two who ends up doing nothing. My opinion is that Durants ceiling is being the Karl Malone of this era.

College superstar

Who's to say Durant won't be another Vince Carter or T-Mac? There's ALWAYS a "the next guy" or two who ends up doing nothing. My opinion is that Durants ceiling is being the Karl Malone of this era.
    It's not very likely that he will become another VC or Tmac, but you can go ahead and assume the worst for him.

At his current pace though, Durant is going to become something very special.

It's not very likely that he will become another VC or Tmac, but you can go ahead and assume the worst for him.

At his current pace though, Durant is going to become something very special.
    Assuming the worst is no more unlikely than assuming the best. Actually, failing to live up to expectations is a lot more common than surpassing them.

Curry: 0x Finals MVP SilkkTheShocker's Avatar

Durant isn't a dominant enough player to start winning rings. Like NumberSix basically said, I think the Thunder are the Utah Jazz of this era. They will be deep in the playoffs every year and play in a few Finals. But I don't see them ever winning it all.

College superstar

Assuming the worst is no more unlikely than assuming the best. Actually, failing to live up to expectations is a lot more common than surpassing them.
    Durant has had a great track record since coming into the league. He's gotten better each year and has added more to his game.

He's known as a hard worker, and so I would say it's actually more likely based on his past that he will be better.

LeBron has built up a lot of equity as the best player in the game. He's reached the point where one modest statistical season won't change that perception, even if Durant (or anyone) puts up monster numbers. Like I said, he may not win MVP next year but he'll still be ragarded as the best player in the league.