Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default Which SF weapon would be best equipped to beat Shaq / Kobe Lakers?

I feel like even though Jordan is my guy, he'd have his hands full with Kobe. And it'd be difficult to totally off set the differences between the two. MJ would be better, but marginally.

The 3 peat Lakers biggest weakness was by far at the SF spot. Which of these guys would you choose having the most dimension, or important weapons to beat the early 2000s Shaq / Kobe Lakers?

LeBron - Athleticism, Scoring, Passing, Playmaking, Finishing Ability and Defensive Versatility

or

Bird - Scoring, Shooting, Toughness, Intelligence, Passing, and Rebounding

or

Durant - Volume Scoring, Sharp Shooting, Length, and Range

Which one would you build around, and how would you build around them to beat those Laker teams? No surrounding of fellow first tier MVP caliber players.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Default Re: Which SF weapon would be best equipped to beat Shaq / Kobe Lakers?

They had good defenders at SF.. Bran aint getting it done.. If hes scared to go at the rim on Hibbert, Shaq would keep him outside the 3 pt line.

Prolly Bird.. Could get in Kobe's head myabe and cause a rift between him and Shaq.

Which MJ are you talking about here? Because there would be quite a bit difference between the two if we're talking MJ at his peak.

You switch Mike and Pip circa 92 / 93 on Kobe, and it's a wrap.

Dragic=GOAT, kobe=beta

Lebron/MJ would make Kobe/Shaq cry.

Banned

There weakness wasn't the SF position. Foxy was locking down defenders and hitting open 3's.

That team didn't have a weakness to be honest with you. They destroyed everyone and the closest team to beat them were the Kings and they had a strong starting 5 too.

Kobelicious

Bird

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    They had good defenders at SF
    Rick Fox was a very good defender. I agree. But you need someone with the size of a front court player, with the skills of a perimeter player I believe to off set the production between Shaq and Kobe. The versatility would create problems for them. They never faced a very versatile type player in the mold of a Penny, Hill, Pippen, LeBron, Durant, or Bird type.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Which MJ are you talking about here? Because there would be quite a bit difference between the two if we're talking MJ at his peak.
    You're right. I was talking '96 - '98 Jordan. He'd be better than Kobe, I agree but not significantly. '90 - '93 Jordan is a horse of a different color though. That's the greatest player to ever play. He'd definitely widen the gap between himself, and Kobe.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelCorleone
    I don't think Lebron has the mental toughness to play with MJ. Once he messes up and MJ is chewing him out, he will be useless.

Dare to shoot defense and not taking shots, MJ would be giving him an earful and he will be done.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelCorleone
    Who is going to guard Shaq?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    Rick Fox was a very good defender. I agree. But you need someone with the size of a front court player, with the skills of a perimeter player I believe to off set the production between Shaq and Kobe. The versatility would create problems for them. They never faced a very versatile type player in the mold of a Penny, Hill, Pippen, LeBron, Durant, or Bird type.

You're right. I was talking '96 - '98 Jordan. He'd be better than Kobe, I agree but not significantly. '90 - '93 Jordan is a horse of a different color though. That's the greatest player to ever play. He'd definitely widen the gap between himself, and Kobe.
    The difference between any version of Kobe and MJ isn't as big as you make them out to be. In fact, it is a coin toss between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH

Thanks for clarifying. To answer your original question, I'd go w/ KD. His length and shooting would be a BIG problem for the Lakers. I think Shaq's size (protecting the rim) and Kobe / Fox's defense would be good enough to at least slow Lebron down a bit.

Banned

Shaq and Kobe team are considered one of the greatest teams in history. I honestly can't find a team that would beat them. Those were legendary teams and especially the one that killed everyone in the playoffs and had a two week vacation before the 1st game of the Finals and Sixers barely beat them.

NBA Superstar

Didn't Durant hold Kobe to 3-21 shooting in the 4th quarter of their last playoff meeting?

Good High School Starter DFish24's Avatar

Larry Bird

Dragic=GOAT, kobe=beta

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    Didn't Durant hold Kobe to 3-21 shooting in the 4th quarter of their last playoff meeting?
    KD stans vs Kobe stans.

So it begins...