Thread: NBA new courts

Home of the 16

Default NBA new courts

Anyone else notice that they removed the 2nd line from when you boxout during a FT attempt? I think the Rockets are one of the few teams who are yet to remove from their layout. It's an odd changeup.

Lakers, Knicks, OKC, Suns, Cavs & more.

WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Default Re: NBA new courts

I have noticed that and personally I'm not a fan. Very few teams have the OG lines, off the top of my head the Jazz, Sixers, Bulls, Celtics, and maybe a couple more

they started doing this a couple years ago. looks clean. I like it.

NBA Superstar

The Pistons still have their secondary paint lines and use them for a little extra color differential. I thought their removal in other arenas was odd looking at first (the lane looks so fat and plain) but it's not the worst thing in the world. I think I prefer the extra line though.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

[CODE][/CODE]
    Quote Originally Posted by $LakerGold

[COLOR="Red"]Anyone else notice that they removed the 2nd line from when you boxout during a FT attempt?[/COLOR]

There is a simple reason why they did this - under the new defensive 3 second rule, there's no reason to differentiate between the "outside" lane (the outer partition running up both sides of the paint, shown above) and "inside" lane (the larger interior portion) - it's all the same in today's game - defenders have a 3 second limit ANYWHERE in the 16 x 19 foot paint area if they aren't within armslength (about 3 feet) of offensive player (defenders must vacate the paint within 3 seconds if they aren't within armslength/hugging their man).

Otoh, the old rules (pre-2005) DID differentiate between the "outside" lane and "inside" lane.. Specifically, defenders could paint-camp indefinitely in the "outside" lane:

2A. Weakside defenders may be in a defensive position [COLOR="Blue"]within the "outside lane" with no time limit, and within the "Inside lane" for 2.9 seconds[/COLOR].

However, the legal paint camping above refers to the "outside" lane.. Defenders still had a 3 second limit in the "inside" lane, EXCEPT when their man was already in the paint (ANYWHERE in the 16 x 19 foot paint - so no "armslength" requirement - defenders didn't have to hug their man), or within 3 feet of OUTSIDE the paint on either side (a defender could legally paint-camp while their man was 3 feet outside the paint):

2B. When a defensive player is guarding an offensive player who is adjacent (posted-up) to the 3-second lane, the defensive player may be within the "inside lane" area [COLOR="Blue"]with no time limitations[/COLOR]. An offensive player shall be ruled as "postedup" when he is within 3' of the free throw lane line. A hash mark on the baseline denotes the 3' area.

As you can see, the rules in previous eras were unenforceable, due to their complicated nature.. This is why players frequently paint-camped in scenarios where it was illegal (like when their man was further than 3 feet outside the paint).. The legal paint-camping coupled with lack of 3-point shooting allowed defenders to occupy the paint indefinitely, which made it much harder to score in the paint compared to today's wide open paint and easy scoring in the lane.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    [CODE][/CODE]
    There is a simple reason why they did this - under the new defensive 3 second rule, there's no reason to differentiate between the "outside" lane (the outer partition running up both sides of the paint, shown above) and "inside" lane (the larger interior portion) - it's all the same in today's game - defenders have a 3 second limit ANYWHERE in the 16 x 19 foot paint area if they aren't within armslength (about 3 feet) of offensive player (defenders must vacate the paint within 3 seconds if they aren't within armslength/hugging their man).

Otoh, the old rules (pre-2005) DID differentiate between the "outside" lane and "inside" lane.. Specifically, defenders could paint-camp indefinitely in the "outside" lane:

2A. Weakside defenders may be in a defensive position [COLOR="Blue"]within the "outside lane" with no time limit, and within the "Inside lane" for 2.9 seconds[/COLOR].

However, the legal paint camping above refers to the "outside" lane.. Defenders still had a 3 second limit in the "inside" lane, EXCEPT when their man was already in the paint (ANYWHERE in the 16 x 19 foot paint - so no "armslength" requirement - defenders didn't have to hug their man), or within 3 feet of OUTSIDE the paint on either side (a defender could legally paint-camp while their man was 3 feet outside the paint):

2B. When a defensive player is guarding an offensive player who is adjacent (posted-up) to the 3-second lane, the defensive player may be within the "inside lane" area [COLOR="Blue"]with no time limitations[/COLOR]. An offensive player shall be ruled as "postedup" when he is within 3' of the free throw lane line. A hash mark on the baseline denotes the 3' area.

As you can see, the rules in previous eras were unenforceable, due to their complicated nature.. This is why players frequently paint-camped in scenarios where it was illegal (like when their man was further than 3 feet outside the paint).. The legal paint-camping coupled with lack of 3-point shooting allowed defenders to occupy the paint indefinitely, which made it much harder to score in the paint compared to today's wide open paint and easy scoring in the lane.
    Love the post

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceJam

Love the post
    A rep wouldn't hurt than... .... And now overkill with a visual demonstration of how the defensive 3 second rule has evolved:

[COLOR="Navy"]Notice how Duncan's defender (Pau) is reaching out and touching Duncan[/COLOR] - Pau is making sure he remains within "armslength", as stipulated by the defensive 3 second rule.. He isn't allowed to wait under the rim, since that's 8 feet away from Duncan, and out of "armslength".. Since Pau must hug Duncan instead of waiting under the rim, Kawhi gets a wide open, uncontested dunk:

Here's another example - Maurice Speights must follow Tristan Thompson to the block to stay within "armslength", which prevents him from contesting Lebron at the rim - this angle shows how the paint is super-wide (16 feet wide).

But in previous eras, defenders were allowed to stand under the rim while their man was on the block because paint-camping was legal - defenders could remain in the paint "with no time limit" if their man was up to 3 feet outside the paint.. With defenders camping under the rim, Kawhi would NOT have gotten a wide open dunk in previous eras:

Btw, look how much defenders are sagging off their man above - yet many ignoramuses think defenders in previous eras had to "follow" their man to the 3-point line - it's pure made-up lies from ignoramuses... Plain and simple... That myth is busted here, where the rules of the game are explained.

WayOfWade
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

3ball with some great posts here. I always just thought that they took the lines away just to try and look more aesthetically pleasing (which I'm sure has something to do with it), but I had no clue about the inside/outside situation going on. Very informational, repped