Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default If you had to choose 3 of these 7 dead NBA rules to bring back which do you pick?

You pick 3 which are brought back for next season. Cant just pick one you like. You pick all 3. Lets say if you refuse to pick it will be selected at random draft lottery style.

Pick the 3 you most want/would be willing to accept.

1. Only get 2 free throws when fouled attempting(and missing) a 3. I realized recently a lot of you probably dont remember when fouling a 3 point shooter was still 2 free throws. It wasnt even that long ago. This changed in the 90s.

2. Technical foul if player called for a foul does not raise his hand and acknowledge his guilt(this went away in the 50s in the nba).

3. Three to make two FT rule(You get 3 shots to make 2...or two shots to make 1). This is why you see guys not trying to box out when a bad Ft shooter is going for an and 1 in old footage. If he misses the first he gets another one. They box out on the second.

4. Reduce the lane size back to 6 feet(pre Mikan) or 12 feet(pre wilt) your choice which.

5. Five seconds closely guarded rule. This still exists on some levels but you never hear about it in nba discussion so ill explain briefly. If a guy is defending you up close you have 5 seconds to take action. Usually passing. Its still used on lower levels and in FIBA(unless something changed recently). In international basketball it was one meter. In womens ball its a little different. In HS it depends on the state. The NBA got rid of it in the stone ages when they first disallowed zone defenses I believe. Im talking like...before George Mikan was a Laker stone ages. Now that you can zone again? **** it. It would be possible to bring it back. In college its a little different. You can hold it 5 seconds.....dribble 5...hold it again. Its not just 5 seconds of inaction period. That would be a nice compromise in this situation id say. This is how its called in its strictest form:

And id be ok with that just to see Harden and Lebron complain.

6. Free throws given for offensive fouls when in the bonus just like defensive. So a guy draws a charge on you while your team is over the limit...the guy who drew the charge is taking free throws on the other end. This went away in the 50s.

7. Jump ball after a foul in the bonus with under 3 minutes to play in a game. This was done to prevent intentional fouls....it kept the team fouling from automatically getting the ball after the FTs. The league wanted you to have to play defense and just let the clock run. They had to tweak it later so you couldnt have a center foul a point guard to get the unfair advantage so you could just pick who jumped(technically the ref asked the fouled teams coach to choose who the fouled players opposing man was...so if Capela fouls Steph then Steve Kerr would pick Chris Paul to jump with him to possibly get the ball back).

Default Re: If you had to choose 3 of these 7 dead NBA rules to bring back which do you pick?

For entertainment reasons I want #2....but for the good of the game?

Give me a 12 foot lane(6 too small)

Give me the 5 seconds closely guarded

I kinda want a 3 to make 2 rule to help the bigs as well.

If a guy like Shaq had a smaller lane he could camp by.....and 3 FTs to make 2? It would help stop intentional fouling and allow bigs to get back into offenses. But imagine guarding Harden when he knows he gets 3 FTs to make two on a common foul? Would anyone even try to make shots anymore? Just off fear of more foul hunting I cant take that one....

So 5 second violation, smaller lane to give bigs more space to operate near the rim, and go back to 2 FTs for being fouled on a 3. I wanna see less falling down on 3 point attempts. It might help a little. I dont see much downside to any of those.

Once the league adjusted the ball movement and bigs posting up would make it much closer to what I want to watch.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Default Re: If you had to choose 3 of these 7 dead NBA rules to bring back which do you pick?

Almost all these changes would be really bad for obvious reasons except maybe 4 to bring back low post offense, 5 could be interesting to stray away from the trend of overly ball dominant players such as James Harden, a lot of people have been turned off big time by that style of play.

4,5......6. Was debating 6 or 7. Not thrilled about either but I think 6 would do less damage to the game

1. Would mess up different options for the last possessions of the game. I know you can already foul them not in the act of shooting when you are in the penalty and achieve the same thing but it would still make it even harder for a team to come back when down more than 2. These are some of the most special moments in basketball.

2. If this one was implemented I

Please clap. Real Men Wear Green's Avatar

Of the ones listed I'd go with:

1. "three shots for two makes." MY ideal baskeball world eliminates the ability to erase points by fouling.

2. Techs for not acknowledging fouls. This is a terrible rule but of the others listed I dislike it the least as it could at least lead to less complaining about calls during the game. But It's a terrible rule and I don't truly endorse it.

3. Bring back Wilt's lane. More dunks could be fun.

Technical foul for not acknowledging is by far my favorite. Bring that shit back.

I don't care if the refs make mistakes. It'll clean up some of the lying and fa[COLOR="Black"]gg[/COLOR]otry.

And really they should start aggressively handing out technicals for flopping. Then they should be reviewed AFTER the game and after a certain number of flops you should start getting progressively lengthier SUSPENSIONS and if you still don't get the message you should be banned from the league for life.

You would have to raise players from preschool with the hand raising rule. Complaining is too built in. It would be fun watching them try it in a preseason though.

Alternate universe footage of Draymond with this rule existing:

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

2,4,6 and 7

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Alternate universe footage of Draymond with this rule existing:

Being real though....I imagine players could adapt...but it would be a trainwreck initially. You would have to not count them as ejectable techs....only give the FT.

Draymond would probably struggle the most with it, no doubt about it.

I wonder who else would be pretty bad... probably Harden...

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

Travelling 😆

I had this stashed for a topic idea I was never gonna get around to but you reminded me of it....

I wonder when "They never call traveling anymore!" started? We all know its worse than ever now but...the complain is hardly new. The simpsons were making fun of it 20+ years ago:

Homer ignored Bart being buried alive to complain about them never calling travelling now.

And the old google newsgroup forums had a lot of people talking shit about Jordan and others traveling all the time.

Im thinking late 70s was probably the start.

NBA sixth man of the year DaHeezy's Avatar

The call was pretty marginal back then. Now it's very questionable with the influence of And1, the eurostep, and the Harden stepback. Now that it's in the flow of the game you'll never be able to call it

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I had this stashed for a topic idea I was never gonna get around to but you reminded me of it....

I wonder when "They never call traveling anymore!" started? We all know its worse than ever now but...the complain is hardly new. The simpsons were making fun of it 20+ years ago:

Homer ignored Bart being buried alive to complain about them never calling travelling now.

And the old google newsgroup forums had a lot of people talking shit about Jordan and others traveling all the time.

Im thinking late 70s was probably the start.
    The complaining about MJ palming constantly was huge from what I remember. Not so much the traveling.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

I don't like the offensive goaltending rule at all. Once it hits the rim, go for it.