Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    National High School Star Richesly's Avatar

Default Jeff Teague vs John Wall

Before we start, let's look at their season averages:

Jeff Teague 17/2.5/7.5 a game, as well as 2.7 TOPG, 1.7 SPG, and 0.5 BPG.
    John Wall 17.4/4.5/10 a game, as well as 3.9 TOPG, 1.9 SPG, and 0.5 BPG.

From seeing these numbers, Wall is clearly the better player.. or is he?

Two similar point guards, with identical playstyles. The only difference is, John Wall is considered a top 5 PG, while Teague isn't.

Let us begin, shall we?

In the first game of the season, Teague went head to head with Wall in what was a great game.

Jeff teague scored 28 points, grabbed 3 assists, 3 boards, 3 steals, and only 2 turnovers. Jeff teague shot 8-19 from the field, and was 0-2 from 3.

John Wall scored 21 points, grabbed 13 assists, 7 rebounds, 0 steals, and 7 turnovers. John Wall shot 6-15 from the field, and was 2-5 from 3.

John Wall shot 40% and Jeff Teague shot 42%. Wall had much more assists than Teague, but you also have to consider Atlanta's system where no one dominates the ball during any play, and everyone gets assists, not just the PG. I am not making an excuse for Teague, as Wall still beats Teague in turnover per assist ratio.

Who won this match up? I'd say Teague.

Atlanta went on to win this game because of the awesome night Teague had, and Wall had no answer to stop him. In the 4th quarter, the Wizards finally put Garrett Temple on him, where Teague started struggling.

Also, Teague only played 32 minutes, compared to Wall's 40.

Second game.

Jeff Teague scored 11 points, 10 assists, 4 steals, 1 block, and 2 rebounds. He had 0 turnovers. He played 28 minutes, and shot 4-12 from the field. He struggled with his shooting, but made up for it with ferocious defense.

John Wall scored 15 points, 8 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks, and 3 rebounds. He had 8 turnovers. He played 37 minutes, and shot 6-11 from the field. Wall had a pretty good shooting night, however, struggled taking care of the ball.

I'd say Teague takes game 2 also.

Wall and Teague both were not the best players on the team in this game. However, I would say Teague contributed more than Wall, due to his 10 assists to 0 turnover score, while Wall had the same amount of assists as he had turnovers. If I were speculating, had Teague played the same minutes as Wall, Teague would have also had a better scoring night. In Wall's defense, he played much BETTER defense on Teague than the game before. As I watched this game, Temple only guarded Teague 2-3 times the whole night(excluding switches). Wall definitely put 100% into defending Teague, which is most likely why both players did not have great games.

But who won game 3?

Jeff Teague scored 26 points, 8 assists, 2 rebounds, 2 steals, and 0 blocks. He had 4 turnovers. Teague shot 9-13 from the field and played 31 minutes.

John Wall scored 24 points, 9 assists, 7 rebounds, 1 steal, and 0 blocks. He had 2 turnovers. Wall shot 9-15 from the field and played 40 minutes.

This is a close one. I am going to say it's Teague's win for the following reasons.

Wall was close to a very impressive triple double(unlike in the second game where his triple double almost included turnovers), and a better individual night than Teague. However, Teague scored 2 more points in 9 less minutes and on 2 less shot attempts. Speculating if Teague had played as much as Wall, Teague possibly could have been in double digits in assists and most likely a 30 point game. Hawks also went to win this game led by Teague.

These two seem like rivals to me. The way they play each other, go hard at each other, and actually are pretty damn physical in their games.

What is the true difference that seperates Teague from Wall? What makes Wall a top 5 point guard, rather than Teague?

This is just one match up, and the fourth game as yet to be played. Who knows? Maybe Wall will demolish Teague in the last match up of the season, but it sure is fun to watch these 2 similar PGs battle it out to the end.

Banned

Default Re: Jeff Teague vs John Wall

They are both the 2 best point guards in the east, with Kyle Lowry being a close 3rd

Difference is Teague is leading the best team in the East, he is a tough competitor and the engine that keeps the Hawks going. He also doesn't airball wide open jumpers.

There`s little to no argument that Teague is better than Wall.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball...on/14/1/14/438
    Last edited by Clyde; 02-18-2015 at 10:44 PM.

NBA rookie of the year

Teague has sick handles

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    There`s little to no argument that Teague is better than Wall.

http://www.hoopsstats.com/basketball...on/14/1/14/438
    Obviously, Wall was better than Teague in previous seasons.

But Teague has improved this season in every way.

It's not fair to count previous seasons, as this is the first season in Teague's career that he is a top 10 PG.

Teague's biggest improvements this season are his defense and decision making.
    Last edited by Richesly; 02-18-2015 at 10:49 PM.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Not to discredit either, but I think they're in the same tier. I think the Hawks would still be dominating if they had Wall instead of Teague

Quote Originally Posted by J Shuttlesworth
    Not to discredit either, but I think they're in the same tier. I think the Hawks would still be dominating if they had Wall instead of Teague
    If they are in the same tier, then why is Wall considered a Top 5 PG by pretty much everyone, and Teague isn't?

It's nice to see I got 2 negs already for making a legit debate thread that is 100% objective.

Seriously don't understand why I'm cursed to get neg after neg for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Richesly
    If they are in the same tier, then why is Wall considered a Top 5 PG by pretty much everyone, and Teague isn't?
    Because Wall is obviously the leader, the franchise and their MVP.

Teague plays on a team with 3 other all-stars.

It's nice to see I got 2 negs already for making a legit debate thread that is 100% objective.

Seriously don't understand why I'm cursed to get neg after neg for no reason.
    not sure what the negs are for, they arent coming from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    Because Wall is obviously the leader, the franchise and their MVP.

Teague plays on a team with 3 other all-stars.
    I see your point.

How about the fourth game?

Jeff Teague had 2 points, 1 assist, 1 rebounds, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 4 turnovers in 33 minutes. 1-9 from the field.

John Wall had a decent game with 33 points, 12 assists, 5 rebounds, 3 steals, 1 block, and 5 turnovers in 34 minutes, 10-20 from the field.

I'd say Teague takes this game too. Not only did Teague miss fewer shots and have fewer turnovers than Wall, the Hawks also won the game. He did it in less minutes too, which helps his impact/win stat.

4 ring - 4 FMVP - 4MVP J Shuttlesworth's Avatar

Hmm....

Curry
    Westbrook
    CP3

That's the top tier

I'd put Teague/Wall/Kyrie/Lillard in the next tier. I couldn't give a shit if people call Wall a top 5 PG or not... you could make the same argument for Teague.

Quote Originally Posted by rhowen4
    How about the fourth game?

Jeff Teague had 2 points, 1 assist, 1 rebounds, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 4 turnovers in 33 minutes. 1-9 from the field.

John Wall had a decent game with 33 points, 12 assists, 5 rebounds, 3 steals, 1 block, and 5 turnovers in 34 minutes, 10-20 from the field.

I'd say Teague takes this game too. Not only did Teague miss fewer shots and have fewer turnovers than Wall, the Hawks also won the game. He did it in less minutes too, which helps his impact/win stat.
    Finally an objective poster.