Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: David Robinson or Tim Duncan

People exposing themselves having never seen D-Rob with statements saying such nonsense like Tim Duncan ran the floor better? My god, completely inaccurate. Tim Duncan isn't near the athletic specimen David Robinson was. Like it's not even close.

David Robinson is one of the most freak athletes to hit the NBA this side of Wilt, LeBron, Shaq, etc. The combination package of size, strength, speed, quickness. Virtually un-matched. Had a physique chiseled by god out of stone.

I think David Robinson easily has the higher peak play, particularly in the regular season. Tim Duncan was probably a better playoff performer. But Tim was blessed with in most likelihood a superior supporting cast, and easily a better coach than D-Rob had to work with through much of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Robinson was fools gold. The answer is clearly Duncan because he stepped up on the biggest stage while Robinson was known for disappearing in the playoffs.
    Yeah.......

I mean I've heard people say Drob as a top player of all time, but he really wasn't. He was good, no doubt. I mean, someone in the Pippen thread said Drob was better than Pippen. **** that.

It's not even that DRob did or didn't disappear in the playoffs, he was just not that good. He got outplayed by better players. And faced more in the playoffs.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSWISH
    People exposing themselves having never seen D-Rob with statements saying such nonsense like Tim Duncan ran the floor better? My god, completely inaccurate. Tim Duncan isn't near the athletic specimen David Robinson was. Like it's not even close.

David Robinson is one of the most freak athletes to hit the NBA this side of Wilt, LeBron, Shaq, etc. The combination package of size, strength, speed, quickness. Virtually un-matched. Had a physique chiseled by god out of stone.

I think David Robinson easily has the higher peak play, particularly in the regular season. Tim Duncan was probably a better playoff performer. But Tim was blessed with in most likelihood a superior supporting cast, and easily a better coach than D-Rob had to work with through much of his career.
    I have no problem with people putting Duncan on their top 10 list. DRob was a beast athlete, for sure, and he had a J, and he could block shots. But he just wasn't that good. He was like the best case 7'1 Amare. Beast player, but he didn't really have the mentality to be an all time great.

-Smak

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    He was like the best case 7'1 Amare.
    What? David Robinson had some of the most impact on defense of any of the all-time great centers. And you just compared him to Amare? David Robinson was a more impressive player than Tim Duncan. Timmy was obviously more successful. I think some of that comes down to context, and circumstances. In this case, I don't think it's strictly a matter of intangible differences between the two players.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Robinson was like an extremely rich man's Toronto chris bosh. That's the best comparison i can think of. I don't see the amare parallels.

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    Robinson was like an extremely rich man's Toronto chris bosh. That's the best comparison i can think of. I don't see the amare parallels.
    That's actually a really solid comparison, I initially thought you made it because of both being black lefties. But there was times that even though D-Rob's physique was crazy, he definitely shied away from contact. Much like Bosh. But yes, a Bill Gates, X to the Z pimped out version of Chris Bosh if you want to go there.

College superstar

It's not even a question. Tim Duncan.

While Robinson consistently performed worse in the playoffs, Duncan performed at a much higher level year after year.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    I have no problem with people putting Duncan on their top 10 list. DRob was a beast athlete, for sure, and he had a J, and he could block shots. But he just wasn't that good. He was like the best case 7'1 Amare. Beast player, but he didn't really have the mentality to be an all time great.

-Smak
    You must be retarded if you think Robinson wasn't an all time great. If you think Pippen was better, you heave no credibility whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    Shaq, MJ, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Lebron, Kobe, Hakeem, Russell, Oscar, Moses, and Dr. J.

Robinson is definitely in the 17-22 range.
    Kobe

Take Moses and Dr. J out there too. Robinson had goat regular season peak.