Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Blog a Bull: "Signing Pau Gasol Was A Mistake"

Quote Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
    Yikes. What happened to Bulls fans complaining about Laker fans not wanting Pau? Crazy what a few bad games will do.
    This. Boys singing a different tune after a few bad stretches Pau was a solid addition nuff said.

Decent college freshman

I don't agree with all of the points the author of the article made, but the #s and arguments are at least thought-provoking. I don't think Pau was a *bad* signing and they got an experienced post scorer for a fairly reasonable price, although his game on the blocks is matchup-dependant at this stage of his career.

I think the rotations, schemes, and player expectations are all at fault. Pau shouldn't play huge mins alongside Noah, for the benefit of both guys. I also think a healthy Gibson or Mirotic should ideally get the 4Q mins, depending on the situation & matchup, at PF. I've mentioned a few times that I think Mirotic/Noah, Gibson/Pau, and Gibson/Noah should the most utilized 2-man PF/C cominations (I think Mirotic/Gasol would get roasted & don't love the Mirotic/Gibson duo for extended mins). If Pau were to pull a David Lee, he would dominate second unit bigs and could help facilitate some offense when Rose sits. I think if Pau could check his ego more often, it'd help this team's rotation and potential for success.

Also don't think it's wise to be riding Gasol this much, from a minutes and touches standpoint. They sometimes look to him to carry the load when really he shouldn't at this age. It's an issue that Thibs should address and one that the FO perhaps should have more carefully considered. In place of giving Kirk the room exception, maybe they could have gotten James Johnson and given Kirk the vet min. Granted, they're thin on the wing due to the McDermott & MDJ injuries, which most likely didn't foresee. I don't think Mirotic at SF is a great option, but it's better than nothing.

Of course, I was of the mindset that post-Deng trade they should have let their foot off the gas (and thus not have overworked the guys so much) and potentially could have nabbed Nurkic & James Young by virtue of having a more favorable draft position. I think the idea of Pierce as a potential signee is intriguing, especially since he has a history with Thibs...

Rose-Butler-Pierce-Mirotic-Noah
    Brooks-Young-MDJ-Gibson-Nurkic
    Kirk-Moore-Snell-Bairstow-Nazr

3-time NBA All-Star

Some of the points are valid. Gasol is 34 and has problems with the stronger bigs.. But the main problem on the Bulls is not Gasol. It has to be ROSE.. He makes Kobe Bryant look EFFICIENT on offense... The guy jacks up 25 fters without regard and doesn't play a lick of defense...HAS ANYONE SEEN THE WAY HE HAS PLAYED? He got flat out whipped vs Clarkson the other night and continues to SHOOT long jumpers that lead to fast breaks.. Butler has also leaned away from being a defensive stopper to a scorer.. Noah and Dunleavy being hurt has also hurt them... They will never win with this ROSE leading them..

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Mirotic is NOT better than Pau. this is typical over-hyping of rookies.

Quote Originally Posted by SwishSquared
    I don't agree with all of the points the author of the article made, but the #s and arguments are at least thought-provoking. I don't think Pau was a *bad* signing and they got an experienced post scorer for a fairly reasonable price, although his game on the blocks is matchup-dependant at this stage of his career.

I think the rotations, schemes, and player expectations are all at fault. Pau shouldn't play huge mins alongside Noah, for the benefit of both guys. I also think a healthy Gibson or Mirotic should ideally get the 4Q mins, depending on the situation & matchup, at PF. I've mentioned a few times that I think Mirotic/Noah, Gibson/Pau, and Gibson/Noah should the most utilized 2-man PF/C cominations (I think Mirotic/Gasol would get roasted & don't love the Mirotic/Gibson duo for extended mins). If Pau were to pull a David Lee, he would dominate second unit bigs and could help facilitate some offense when Rose sits. I think if Pau could check his ego more often, it'd help this team's rotation and potential for success.

Also don't think it's wise to be riding Gasol this much, from a minutes and touches standpoint. They sometimes look to him to carry the load when really he shouldn't at this age. It's an issue that Thibs should address and one that the FO perhaps should have more carefully considered. In place of giving Kirk the room exception, maybe they could have gotten James Johnson and given Kirk the vet min. Granted, they're thin on the wing due to the McDermott & MDJ injuries, which most likely didn't foresee. I don't think Mirotic at SF is a great option, but it's better than nothing.

Of course, I was of the mindset that post-Deng trade they should have let their foot off the gas (and thus not have overworked the guys so much) and potentially could have nabbed Nurkic & James Young by virtue of having a more favorable draft position. I think the idea of Pierce as a potential signee is intriguing, especially since he has a history with Thibs...

Rose-Butler-Pierce-Mirotic-Noah
    Brooks-Young-MDJ-Gibson-Nurkic
    Kirk-Moore-Snell-Bairstow-Nazr
    Great post. I think Thibs should utilize Gasol a little differently. I liked the thought of having Gasol play with the second team and feast on the opposition second team bigs. Their defense isnt what it was.

The Bulls biggets problem has been injuries, and Derrick Roses lust for the three point shot.

Quote Originally Posted by NBASTATMAN
    Some of the points are valid. Gasol is 34 and has problems with the stronger bigs.. But the main problem on the Bulls is not Gasol. It has to be ROSE.. He makes Kobe Bryant look EFFICIENT on offense... The guy jacks up 25 fters without regard and doesn't play a lick of defense...HAS ANYONE SEEN THE WAY HE HAS PLAYED? He got flat out whipped vs Clarkson the other night and continues to SHOOT long jumpers that lead to fast breaks.. Butler has also leaned away from being a defensive stopper to a scorer.. Noah and Dunleavy being hurt has also hurt them... They will never win with this ROSE leading them..
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Just bring Pau of the bench. He was suppose to help, not take over the team at 34.
    I'm pretty sure Pau signed with the condition that he'd be a starter

Good points but it's hard to blame Rose for Pau getting destroyed by every half-decent big he faces

Banned

This.

The Bulls were better when Rose was on the sidelines planning his kids' future graduations. The guy has been a disaster for them of late. Just mindless chucking and TO machine. Chicago actually should be running their offense through Pau instead of letting a faded D-Rose play old Kobe.

Lmfao ! Is Pau the easiest scapegoat or wat?

Fken injuries had been dragging this Bulls team down! Sometimes only 8 players are available to play on their fken Roster.... Noahs injury and Roses comeback have been huge factors too...
    Yall mother fkers are ahead of the Cavs...

Smfh for those who agreed to this dumb a$$ blog.

I 100% agree. Mirotic should be starting next to Noah, and Gasol and Gibson should be coming off the bench.

Blog a f@g: "OP and blogger were both mistakes!"

F@ggots!

Pau is one of the best passing big men in the entire league. If the Bulls are giving it to him on the block and then just standing around then it's on the coaching staff for the offense not working, not Pau.

They have been struggling shooting since Dunleavy went down but that doesn't explain their horrible defense.

Quote Originally Posted by konex
    They have been struggling shooting since Dunleavy went down but that doesn't explain their horrible defense.
    I think it's all just Noah not being anywhere near 100%. If your defensive anchor is out there at 80% obviously your defense is going to take a huge step back.

Pau isn't great defensively anymore, but scapegoating him for the reason the Bulls have been struggling is just absurd. He's been great.