Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default MLSE Early Spring Cleaning

Toronto Maple Leafs just fired Brian Burke and replaced him with Dave Nonis as the new GM today. That means there is no more Burkie Dogs in ACC!

Toronto FC also fired Paul Mariner and replaced him with Ryan Nelsen, who has absolute zero coaching experience and is still playing with QPR at this moment, as the new head coach.

MSLE's two major personnel were fired within two days. Will Brian Colangelo be next?
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: MLSE Early Spring Cleaning

I'm not a hockey fan but when speaking my friends who are huge Leafs fans, everything they mention when it comes to Burke and the Leafs direction mirrors what I think of the Raptors. This is a very good sign for all of us who want Colangelo (and everyone else) gone.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #3
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

If BC somehow outlasts Burkey that would be ridiculous. Both suck but BC has had WAY more chances.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

James Duthie's take:

Quote:
james duthie ‏@tsnjamesduthie
Re: ownership not liking Burke's "style"... Compare to Colangelo who has arguably done worse, but still has job...more of a big corp style.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
James Duthie's take:

Sigh. And when you consider that he was fired basically for not pulling the trigger on a quick-fix patchwork move that trades the one good young controllable piece the Leafs have in Gardiner, that doesn't bode well for likely future moves for the Raps.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #6
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiteng
Toronto Maple Leafs just fired Brian Burke and replaced him with Dave Nonis as the new GM today. That means there is no more Burkie Dogs in ACC!

Toronto FC also fired Paul Mariner and replaced him with Ryan Nelsen, who has absolute zero coaching experience and is still playing with QPR at this moment, as the new head coach.

MSLE's two major personnel were fired within two days. Will Brian Colangelo be next?

If you listened to the presser today, or any of Anselmi's radio spots afterwards, it's pretty clear Colangelo is dead man walking.

A WHOLE LOT of non-committals about him.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
James Duthie's take:

I really think there's way more to this than is being reported right now. According to a couple people, Burke had plane tickets to NYC to represent the Leafs at the NHL CBA vote as late as last night, and the plans changed this morning. I mean, you don't fire your GM (and leave literally everyone he put in place) 10 days before the season unless something happened.

Colangelo's time is near... I think it's just a matter of timing, and I don't think he has the ability to make franchise altering moves (without approval) at this point.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #8
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
I really think there's way more to this than is being reported right now. According to a couple people, Burke had plane tickets to NYC to represent the Leafs at the NHL CBA vote as late as last night, and the plans changed this morning. I mean, you don't fire your GM (and leave literally everyone he put in place) 10 days before the season unless something happened.

Colangelo's time is near... I think it's just a matter of timing, and I don't think he has the ability to make franchise altering moves (without approval) at this point.

A rumour that came out here in Manitoba via a radio Dj who has connections in the Toronto media is that Burke was having an affair with somebody in the leafs organization.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #9
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
A rumour that came out here in Manitoba via a radio Dj who has connections in the Toronto media is that Burke was having an affair with somebody in the leafs organization.

I think that's probably a whole lot of BS... a radio jock trying to make a name for himself more than anything else.

I think it's more likely something like the fact that Burke had an Autonomy clause in his contract and Bell/Rogers wanted more control over the franchise than he was willing to provide.

IE: McCowan said tonight that he knew that Ownership wants to make the playoffs and see Luongo as the way to do it. Burke did not want to make the deal (reported and Kadri, Gardiner + more), and he was approached by a senior person in MLSE that if he cared about his job he'd make the deal to try and make the playoffs. McCowan said on PTS Burke told the exec that he doesn't care about his job if he made a deal that was bad for the team. The board couldn't force him to make the deal due to the clause so they removed him. And here we are.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #10
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk

Also, the only guy in the TO sports scene fired for having an affair was Swirsky.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
IE: McCowan said tonight that he knew that Ownership wants to make the playoffs and see Luongo as the way to do it. Burke did not want to make the deal (reported and Kadri, Gardiner + more), and he was approached by a senior person in MLSE that if he cared about his job he'd make the deal to try and make the playoffs. McCowan said on PTS Burke told the exec that he doesn't care about his job if he made a deal that was bad for the team. The board couldn't force him to make the deal due to the clause so they removed him. And here we are.
Wait a minute. So Burke was fired for not being short-sighted enough? Shit. I really hope that this "get into the playoffs at all costs!" is a Leafs-only thing when it comes to ownership.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:12 AM   #12
And 1
I airball my layups

And 1 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Wait a minute. So Burke was fired for not being short-sighted enough? Shit. I really hope that this "get into the playoffs at all costs!" is a Leafs-only thing when it comes to ownership.

This, along with some animosity between the MLSE board and Burke's 'character,' DEFINITELY played a part in his firing.
And 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #13
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by And 1
This, along with some animosity between the MLSE board and Burke's 'character,' DEFINITELY played a part in his firing.

Well here's the positive I see the more I've thought about it: this might actually be a good thing. The bottom line with regards to Burke is that he's had zero results in his tenure. The team is in no better condition now than when he arrived. No stars, no goalie, no centre, no star D. The owners of MLSE is no longer a trust fund that is simply looking for its 10% ROI. Rogers and Bell (for better or worse) are looking for a marketable product to put on the air. Nothing is more marketable than a winner.

The wheels are already in motion for Colangelo, make no mistake. This is from the Globe:

Quote:
Sportsnetís John Shannon revealed Friday that at a meeting of the board of directors of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, Raptors head coach Dwane Casey was told by, among others, George Cope, chief executive officer of BCE-Bell Canada and a former hoops player at Western University, to simply play whom he wanted to play.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle6978427/

Its info like this that suggests to me that Colangelo won't have the rope to make any real bad moves going forward.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: