Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    High School Varsity 6th Man Miles and Miles's Avatar

Default Steve Kerr is not a good coach

Anyone else feel this way? He has a team of all stars and can't finish off the Clippers? Other then the Warriors what coaching experience and training does he have? KD wants out too.

Every time I hear him speak it's like a master of the obvious. Nothing smart about his coaching. "Yes we need to play better D" or something of that sort.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: Steve Kerr is not a good coach

I like Kerr but I've always felt this way

He kind of got lucky by having a system that was ahead of the curve in 2016 (in part developed by predecessors), so he won 73 with a non-goat cast

but since then he's failed to make adjustments as the league caught up

But most coaches are like that - a product of circumstance and the players they coach

Local High School Star Shaquille O'Neal's Avatar

I like Steve Kerr, but there's no denying the man has had every break in life one could imagine. Let's review them shall we?

Goes to the Bulls in 1994 - a team that still had the core of a 3x back-to-back-to-back championship.
    Michael returns. 3 rings as a role player.
    Goes to Spurs in 99-03. Wins 4 in a row and his 5th playing alongside Duncan and D-rob.
    Gets a Suns mgmt job with 0 experience being a GM.
    Gets a 40+ million job coaching without NBA prior coaching experience for a team Mark Jackson & Co. put together.
    KD joins his squad in 2016.

So for his rings he's had:
    Michael, Scottie and Phil Jackson, or

Tim Duncan, D-Rob, Poppovich, or
    Klay Thompson, Steph, 2 with KD.

Like Alec Baldwin said to Jerry Seinfeld in "Comedians in cars getting coffee" - "You've had a blessed life Jerry - you're the type of guy driving through the city that always gets the green lights - never red".

Hell when Kerr was out with back pain Luke Walton coached that 2016 team to 37-4.

Just a smart, but even luckier dude.

Curry elevates those around him like never seen before.

It's actually divine.

9x All Defensive 1st And1AllDay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaquille O'Neal
    I like Steve Kerr, but there's no denying the man has had every break in life one could imagine. Let's review them shall we?

Goes to the Bulls in 1994 - a team that still had the core of a 3x back-to-back-to-back championship.
    Michael returns. 3 rings as a role player.
    Goes to Spurs in 99-03. Wins 4 in a row and his 5th playing alongside Duncan and D-rob.
    Gets a Suns mgmt job with 0 experience being a GM.
    Gets a 40+ million job coaching without NBA prior coaching experience for a team Mark Jackson & Co. put together.
    KD joins his squad in 2016.

So for his rings he's had:
    Michael, Scottie and Phil Jackson, or

Tim Duncan, D-Rob, Poppovich, or
    Klay Thompson, Steph, 2 with KD.

Like Alec Baldwin said to Jerry Seinfeld in "Comedians in cars getting coffee" - "You've had a blessed life Jerry - you're the type of guy driving through the city that always gets the green lights - never red".

Hell when Kerr was out with back pain Luke Walton coached that 2016 team to 37-4.

Just a smart, but even luckier dude.

I dig it, big truth

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

MJ gave him a career and made him famous, otherwise no one would know who he was

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

He always looks confused and lost out there. Luckiest coach in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    He always looks confused and lost out there. Luckiest coach in the NBA.
    Man wish I could luck into a job like that.

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

I disagree.

Part of being a coach is using your player best strength, hide their weakness. And maximizing the potential talent the that team has. Put them in the base possible situation with X/Os to make the job easier on them.

He's pretty much already done that. Y'all remember prior to 2015 with the GSW? Nobody thought that they would be the Juggernaut that they are today, and part of the reason is cuz of Kerr (KD coming to the GSW too, lol).

Remember the offense that they were running before Kerr got there? It was a'ight, but Kerr and his coaching staff changed that. They made Curry play more off the ball. Curry used to handle the ball a bit more if I can recall. And they play a hybrid offense. Mixture with Mike D'antoni, a little bit of the triangle, and bit of the princeton offense I believe. They were so good at it that other teams in the league tried to implement that into their system and failed. Pop also did this before with the Spurs.

He recognize Draymond Green, put him in the low post or high post, and operate a little inside out due to his passing ability. Bogut too. Lots of screens. He also recognize when the players will lose interest in his voice and made them pretty much coach themselves. Pop does this too. Sometimes you let the players play a bit loose, sometimes the coaches make them follow strict plays.

We don't have inside info on how prepared they are or the strict details on their play sets or defense strategy. You definitely won't be able to tell on the media interviews lol. And even if they are well prepared, that don't mean they can execute well. That's on the players. The coaches job is to coach and give them the best possible plan of action. Sometimes the players adapt and react on the fly.

Imo, judging on how he changed the offense and recongnize the maximize the talent he had ont he team in with the GSW in 2015, shows that he is a good coach.

Very good NBA starter

He's a bad coach and failed to go big against Lebron when the refs rigged it.

Kerr is a good coach but maybe not as great as some think.

Most of the coaches in the NBA can do X's and O's as can the players at that level. Kerr can't seem to keep his team in check or get them all on the same page anymore. He just wants to be their friend. Be interesting how the rest goes and see if they can win despite that.

If I had kd curry klay on the same time I'd be a good coach as well.

Quote Originally Posted by red1
    If I had kd curry klay on the same time I'd be a good coach as well.
    Exactly Like shit

It's extremely difficult for fans to properly evaluate NBA coaches. We have no idea what's actually happening inside an NBA team or how much the coach is contributing to it.