Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I don't get picked last at the park anymore

Default Re: why are white people such great shooters?

but then again the Nba is when talent words hard or the people with the most talent. But, yeah it goes down to working hard

Edit: Below: That's exactly what I'm talking about. It's just that to me, people who are more talented then others who also work harder are the ones up there and the ones who are more talented but don't work hard still dominate against others who work harder than them but they have less skills.
    Last edited by bobbyflay; 02-02-2011 at 08:18 PM.

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Hope this doesn't come off as racist, but this is my observation from experience.

White guys usually just shoot when they play eachother, rather than drive and do flashy stuff. My brother pretty much only shot jumpers, so he's a good shooter, but can't do anything in the post and can barely hit contested layups to save his life.

You're basically just good at what you grew up doing most of the time. Black kids tend to like the speedy flashy parts of basketball since it makes you look cool, white guys like the shooting and stuff that helps you actually win the games.

My game looks pretty bad, but I usually win 1v1 and 2v2, because I have good defense, an ugly but good slashing moveset, and can hit jumpers. Pretty much the opposite of the flashy/cool game that some black guys have.

To me though (a white guy), I'd rather win (especially win big) than look good but lose. Of course. . .plenty of black guys have good jumpers too. My friend Lawrence had a badass jumper, good dribbles, good D', good slashing moves, was fast, etc. Whole package pretty much.

Anyway can be good, but that's just my guess as to why the random white guy seems to have the same generic game, just like the random black guy seems to have their same generic game. It's just how they play I guess :P

White guys want to have good dribbles, and black guys want to shoot well, but they just don't do it enough to be good at it.

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    Hope this doesn't come off as racist, but this is my observation from experience.

White guys usually just shoot when they play eachother, rather than drive and do flashy stuff. My brother pretty much only shot jumpers, so he's a good shooter, but can't do anything in the post and can barely hit contested layups to save his life.

You're basically just good at what you grew up doing most of the time. Black kids tend to like the speedy flashy parts of basketball since it makes you look cool, white guys like the shooting and stuff that helps you actually win the games.

My game looks pretty bad, but I usually win 1v1 and 2v2, because I have good defense, an ugly but good slashing moveset, and can hit jumpers. Pretty much the opposite of the flashy/cool game that some black guys have.

To me though (a white guy), I'd rather win (especially win big) than look good but lose. Of course. . .plenty of black guys have good jumpers too. My friend Lawrence had a badass jumper, good dribbles, good D', good slashing moves, was fast, etc. Whole package pretty much.

Anyway can be good, but that's just my guess as to why the random white guy seems to have the same generic game, just like the random black guy seems to have their same generic game. It's just how they play I guess :P

White guys want to have good dribbles, and black guys want to shoot well, but they just don't do it enough to be good at it.

Black guys can't shoot?

*Dale Ellis, Glen Rice, Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, Craig Hodges, Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant, Michael Adams, Dell Curry etc, etc, etc...

I grew up in Chicago and there are A.A. kids that play every style you can find in the game of basketball, seriously.

Saw a basketball once dallasballer's Avatar

idk. it seems like black people can dunk better. but then again, race doesnt matter. i get what ur saying though

Not airballing my layups anymore

Black guys can't shoot?

*Dale Ellis, Glen Rice, Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, Craig Hodges, Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant, Michael Adams, Dell Curry etc, etc, etc...

I grew up in Chicago and there are A.A. kids that play every style you can find in the game of basketball, seriously.

Read his post, he never said black guys can't shoot. He even refered to a friend who had the whole package, shooting, driving, defense, everything. You are correct, those guys could and can shoot lights out, and I'm sure Sinjackel won't refute that, he was just saying that you are typically a product of the style of play you grew up around

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by Go Getter
    Black guys can't shoot?

I think your reading too much into the thread. There are a lot of black players who are great shooters and white players who are great dunkers. I still say it has more to do with where you grew up playing than what color you are

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv
    I think your reading too much into the thread. There are a lot of black players who are great shooters and white players who are great dunkers. I still say it has more to do with where you grew up playing than what color you are
    there are not a lot of white players who are great dunkers

Plenty of black guys who can shoot tho. It's rare to have someone come into the NBA who is both athletic and can get to the rim but also shoot. It's mostly one or the other, and it's all about what you grew up doing and what worked for you. I grew up a shooter cus I could drain em... It worked for me. Nowadays, I am still a shooter first but also have a pretty nasty post game. My finishing moves on the drive are below average tho and finishing in traffic is hard for me. It would take me a a year or 2 of constant playing to get good at just vs. pick up scrubs Basically all you have to do is master when to use a jumpstop and when to finish off 1 leg tho... once you have that down, it makes finishing a whole lot easier.

gotta give respect to the white guy showing up to the courts ballin

Saw a basketball once

It's just a matter of people working on their strengths and practicing. There's great shooters of every race, but white guys in general end up practicing their shooting a lot more than anything else.

kinda agree wit that

kinda agree wit that

I have a theory that all this "why do a lot of black guys do this and a lot of white guys don't, and vice versa" stuff is all just social. Self-fulfilling prophecy is a good term to describe it.

I could get really deep with it because that's how much I've thought about it but the basic idea is that, if you grow up with a certain mindset, that is how you will likely develop as you grow.

So, people say as they watch college/nba that the black guys dunk better, jump higher, and have better handles. So it would be easy to assume that younger black kids will grow up with the mindset that they can dunk over everybody and jump out of the gym and have the best handles, so that's the game they try to develop.

With white kids it's the same thing. When a white player makes a big impact and is balling, the terms usually used to describe his game are "great fundamentals," "smart," "great vision," or something along those lines. Rarely are athletic type adjectives used. So as a result, white kids develop their game along those lines - shooting, decision making, fundamentals.

But we've all seen enough youtube clips to know that there really isn't that kind of athletic barrier. I mean there could be SOME difference, but it's miniscule.

So anyway to hopefully attempt to summarize: white kids and black kids hear the public opinion about black players and white players through TV, internet, magazines, etc, and simply develop their games around how they think they should play.

IMO if you develop a black kid and a white kid in a vacuum with no outside influences, just to play basketball, they would be so similar it would almost seem like the same person.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by EvanW
    IMO if you develop a black kid and a white kid in a vacuum with no outside influences, just to play basketball, they would be so similar it would almost seem like the same person.

I have to agree with that statement. A lot of white kids grow up thinking white men can't jump and because Larry Bird was a great shooter white people have to be good shooters. Your shooting and jumping ability have little to do with you skin color though.

same reason black people are such good slashers

it's wha tthey practice

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson14
    same reason black people are such good slashers

it's wha tthey practice
    cant really practice slashing alone