Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default How to make it to the NBA

young baller that lives in missauga, ontario(canada). im 17. grade 11. im on the senior team this year and will be next year.

wut r all the possible ways i can make it in the nba(college draft, tryouts etc.) i dont care if i enter at 19 or 25

Default Re: How to make it to the NBA

You're asking the wrong people. None of us have ever been in the NBA.

Banned

I didnt think you had to be in the NBA to know how to get there

I can't help since I'm not in the NBA either, but just curious
    how tall are you, how much points and rebounds do you average on your varsity team, what position do you play and have you won any significant award/trophy from basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by koBEDABEST
    young baller that lives in missauga, ontario(canada). im 17. grade 11. im on the senior team this year and will be next year.

wut r all the possible ways i can make it in the nba(college draft, tryouts etc.) i dont care if i enter at 19 or 25
    A couple basic questions.

You're 17. Have any colleges approached you about a scholarship?

Are you clearly the best player on your team? Not in your opinion. Is it obvious by your results on the court that you're better than everyone else?

If the answer to those questions is "yes", we'll move onbto the next round.

If "no", the overwhelming odds are that you're and never will be good enough to play professionally.

Not trying to be a hardass, bad guy, or killjoy. Just facts.

Quote Originally Posted by koBEDABEST
    I didnt think you had to be in the NBA to know how to get there
    It helps.

All of the books that i've read by or about NBA players it seems that the biggest factors are hardwork and focus.

You got to be in the gym any free time you have and work solely towards continuing to improve and develop.

Either have mad game and be really confident, really athletic, or able to shoot lights out... if you are shorter than like 6'5... then you have be 2 out of those 3.

dedicate

get a copy of 2k11 , enter draft in my player mode....jk

you basically need to have a rep sheet of playing at a high level(either college or overseas professional leagues) then you'll have some chance to enter draft or try out for nba

Future NBA G.O.A.T inclinerator's Avatar

work on your game

I don't get picked last at the park anymore

the chances of making it is 0.00000003%
    Out of the possible 1 million basketball players in the world,
    you basically have to be amongst the 450 best ones to even make the roster.

You will have to be the biggest star in your area.
    Obviously the best player on your High school team unless you attend top basketball high schools.
    You then have to make the a D1 college team and also be the top 3 guys on your team.

And once you have done that, there's still a long way to go.

Not airballing my layups anymore Wukillabeez78's Avatar

Most players with NBA talent have been identified and scouted before they even reach high school. You tell us you are 17 years old. I have to tell you that if you aren't on anybody's radar and haven't been scouted at all yet then you have virtually no chance of making it to the league.

John Starks bagged groceries for several years after playing in high school before going on to play at community colleges, Oklahoma State University and then the NBA. With that being said he was still known to scouts based on his high school career.

If you have never been recruited and college/nba scouts have never come to your games to see you play then you don't have a chance at making it. I can't think of any NBA level talent that has gone unnoticed and still made it to the league in the last 25-30 years. Teams have scouts who go to elementary school and middle school games to identify standout players. If you aren't a standout player by now you won't ever be one. Some players develop late (both Michael Jordan and John Wall weren't highly regarded at the beginning of their high school careers) but by their junior and senior years they were known and had scholarship offers. A late bloomer is still found and identified by scouts before his/her high school career is finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Wukillabeez78
    Most players with NBA talent have been identified and scouted before they even reach high school. You tell us you are 17 years old. I have to tell you that if you aren't on anybody's radar and haven't been scouted at all yet then you have virtually no chance of making it to the league.

John Starks bagged groceries for several years after playing in high school before going on to play at community colleges, Oklahoma State University and then the NBA. With that being said he was still known to scouts based on his high school career.

If you have never been recruited and college/nba scouts have never come to your games to see you play then you don't have a chance at making it. I can't think of any NBA level talent that has gone unnoticed and still made it to the league in the last 25-30 years. Teams have scouts who go to elementary school and middle school games to identify standout players. If you aren't a standout player by now you won't ever be one. Some players develop late (both Michael Jordan and John Wall weren't highly regarded at the beginning of their high school careers) but by their junior and senior years they were known and had scholarship offers. A late bloomer is still found and identified by scouts before his/her high school career is finished.
    What about Hakeem?

Banned

get a college scholarship and then get drafted after college if you are good enough

Quote Originally Posted by Swaggin916
    What about Hakeem?
    well, I'll take my chances and presume that OP is not 7 feet tall