Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Which one was overrated John Stockton Or Karl Malone?

Quote Originally Posted by fefe
    So you don't understand that argument either?
    there you go:

Shaquille O'Neal is a better overall player than Mike Bibby, but Mike Bibby is the better pointguard.

I hope I could help you...
    You make baby jesus weep.

The argument is clearly used by tards like yourself when comparing players of the same position.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix18

Back to the topic, which one is overrated? Neither.

and we're onto the next one...
    That track had me bumpin' at 2am over here. Out of my seat and all. Crip walkin' like Snoop.

Neither are overrated. False dichotomy, bad question.

Playing in a small market, being the villain for the most media hyped player of all time (Jordan), they could only be underrated.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    You make baby jesus weep.

The argument is clearly used by tards like yourself when comparing players of the same position.
    And the argument works there as well...
    "Dirk is a better player than Amare, but Amare is more of a typical PF."

I don't know what is so hard to understand for you.... but I'm tired of trying to explain. So either you get it now, or you don't...

shhhhhhh

i don't think they are over or under rated to be honest...

possibly the best pg pf combo to ever play the game... fact is each one of those players made the other look good, stockton found malone off that pick and roll 9 times out of ten and 9 times out of ten malone made the basket.. everybody knew it was coming yet nobody could stop it...lol

the jazz were the definition of "team basketball" you take a bunch of role players that buy into sloans system, stick in stocton and malone and you had an instant top level team that probably over achieved more than it should have

The original post is an epitomy of what's wrong with the league today. Why decide which player was overrated individually when clearly these two played one of the best two man games ever.

I don't really get why people knock players over playing in the system when clearly the system is what generates wins.

People should be comparing which teams were more overrated over the other.

why live??

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    If anything they are underrated. Stockton and Malone would be the best players at their positions if they were in their prime today.
    I totally agree. Stockton and Malone don't get enough love. Look at the rest of their roster. The only other serviceable player is Hornacek.

Quote Originally Posted by fefe
    Malone has a great case for best PF ever.
    If you consider Duncan a PF, he is #1 by default, but he is a C to me (and not a top5 ever center at that.).
    At PF the competion for all time best for Malone is basically Sir Charles and that's it.

At PG, Magic is considered #1 no contest,
    #2 is between Stockton and the big O..

I think your forgetting a Mr. Kevin Garnett.

While both were playing

Overrated: Karl Malone
    Underrated: John Stockton

After both have retired

Overrated: John Stockton
    Underrated: Karl Malone

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio33
    malone was overrated. they used the pick and roll more than any other duo ever. stockton nearly averaged 15 assists a game one year. and holds the record for career. who recieved most of those passes?

also malone ws anti-clutch. stockton was pretty clutch.

i think stockton is a bit overrated, but malone is massivly overrated.
    most of Stockton assist were from pick and rolls with Malone. Malone was already averaging over 20 a game before Stockton was even starting. What i also find funny is that back in 1998, Sloan cut Stockton minutes to 29 a game and only averaged 8.5 assists that year... did that affect Malones stats? no. Malone averaged 27, the same he did when he was his first MVP trophy

Why does people keep bringing up Stockton's steal total? Allen Iverson led the NBA in that category for like 3 years straight. SO? Hell, People hate on Chris Paul for being very active on the steals but John Stockton gets praised for being the all time leader?

Decent college freshman Vragrant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gifted Mind
    While both were playing

After both have retired

agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    Why does people keep bringing up Stockton's steal total? Allen Iverson led the NBA in that category for like 3 years straight. SO? Hell, People hate on Chris Paul for being very active on the steals but John Stockton gets praised for being the all time leader?
    I haven't seen much mention of it, but you clearly have no idea how immortal this record is. Nobody is even close.

Here's the top 10:
    1. John Stockton 3265
    2. Michael Jordan 2514
    3. Gary Payton 2445
    4. Jason Kidd 2330
    5. Maurice Cheeks 2310
    6. Scottie Pippen 2307
    7. Julius Erving 2272
    8. Clyde Drexler 2207
    9. Hakeem Olajuwon 2162
    10. Alvin Robertson 2112

Plot that on a graph and watch the 1 spot spike above everyone else. I mean, its Mount Everest. It's the national debt. It's immortal.

Plus, those who watched him know he was a pesky man defender to go along with the picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gifted Mind
    While both were playing

After both have retired

I agree with the relationship that stands here, but you've mistaken a comparative for an objective measure.

This is true:
    Malone was more appreciated while playing than he is in retirement.
    Stockton was less appreciated while playing than he is in retirement.

But that does not entail anything about being over or underrated. Both could be overrated active and retired, and both could be underrated active and retired, but that appreciation relationship still holds.

National High School Star

I hate when people use the "it was the system" argument to put players down. Two different things bother me about this argument, so I'll address them separately.

The first is that certain systems make it easier to be successful. Karl Malone, according to this logic, only scored so many points because the Jazz ran the pick-and-roll for him all the time. I thought the point of basketball was to score points, and to find the easiest way to do it, yet people act like this is some kind of a cop-out. Like those kids who would get mad when you played Mortal Kombat because "you keep using the same move." Well, learn to f*cking counter it. Better yet, if it's such an overpowered move, why don't you use it on me? If the pick-and-roll was something that could provide heaps of easy buckets for a PF, why would the other teams not use it? Why hasn't anyone else scored 38,000 points just doing pick-and-roll? Why didn't the Suns just have KJ run the pick-and-roll for Barkley all day long? Or is it maybe that despite its simplicity, pick-and-roll requires you to be a great player to really utilize it?

The other claim is that certain players are only thought of as great because of the system. This is stupid, because all great players had their teams set up a system around them. What great player was constantly forced to play in systems that forced him to play to his weaknesses? What organization would be that stupid? All great players are a product of the system. If they'd played in bad systems, we'd probably only know them as good players. If MJ played in a system where he was asked to be a spot-up three-point shooter, would he still have been the player he was? If Larry Bird played in a system where a PG completely and utterly dominated the ball, would he be anything more than a Dirk Nowitzki? At the end of the day, your goal is to set up a system around the players you have to maximize the number of wins. And boy, did those Jazz teams win. During the 16 years Malone and Stockton were both starters, the Jazz won 850 and lost 430 games. That's a .664 record over that time, or 54 wins per season. During a 5 year stretch in the mid-90s, the Jazz put up a .735 winning percentage, or just over 60 wins a season. Yeah, you could put together a system that will get numbers for a couple of players, but can you also make it get you 60 wins a season?