Home of the 16

Default I think I lost my game.

2 years ago, I almost made it to JV... Im serious, I was in shape and I ran track.. I was almost athletic as Kobe JUST KIDDING.
    But yeah, I was in shape... but after when I was told that I didnt make the team because of my grades.. I got really depressed and quitted playin ball..

Its been 4 months now since ive played ball, and I went to the gym earlier..I think I lost it... and I WANNA GET IT BACK.

Please guys, I weigh like 195 lbs now and I used to weigh like 135-140 before. DAMN .. I miss my old self..

I went back and played earlier, and TOTALLY LOST EVERYTHING.

If anyone out there knows, how to get back up and retrieve what I had before.. kindly post here... I wanna start gettin in-shape then focus on my basketball skills and fundamentals etc.. thanks.

Ill be movin to maryland next month, and hopin I can rebuild myself again over there.

Learning to shoot layups

Default Re: I think I lost my game.

So you gained 60 pounds in just two years?

Just go practice, period. You're still obviously young, so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

The thing about basketball is, you never really lose your abilities, even if you're old. If you have a really unique hook shot or layup, etc, you're never gonna lose it.

Sure, you can accumulate rust if you don't play for a while, but once you continue to practice, you'll get it back.

Trust me, I tore my ankle when I was 19, so I couldn't play ball for a good three years. When I got back, I was completely out of shape, huffing and puffing, and everything I used to do, seemed foreign to me. I wondered if I'd ever get back to what I used to do, but after playing for a few months, I got back everything I had, and then some.

And then when I was 23, I moved, and I stopped playing basketball for about a year. Again, I had to work my way up and shake off the rust. Took a few months to get re-acquainted with my moves.

Right when I started peaking again, I got a knee injury that sidelined me for a year.

But now I'm back to playing basketball. Been about three or four months, and I'm already better than I ever was, skill-wise.

Athletically however, I'm not what I used to be, just because I've gained a lot of weight over the years, and I haven't been able to hit the gym to pump iron, due to my knee injury. It's about 80% recovered, but I need it to be 100% before I can do squats again. And squats make a huge difference in my game. It adds to my vertical and explosiveness.

Anyway, just keep playing basketball and you'll get everything back. Just lower your expectations. You're not gonna be doing what you were doing two years ago, over night. You need to grind it out, a day at a time. Just be patient and have fun.

I wish I could have settled on the fact that my knee injury would keep me out for a year... now all I've done is worn it down and who knows if it will ever heal.

In regards to the OP, it's simple, just keep playing/practicing, cut some things out of your diet that got you fatter, and get into shape. There are many things you can do, but those are going to work the best. Practice, play, lift weights, cardio, eat healthier. I recommend Yoga to anyone capable of doing it as well.

only ascrubs lose their game

Like others have already stated, 1). You never lose your game. You might lose a step, but never the game. 2). You are still young, get out there and practice/play!

Banned

Just play basketball, the only way.

NBA Superstar

If it's any motivation for you guys, I played with some 5'11'' 36 year old twins about a week ago. They seemed to be a little overweight, one was in the ballpark of dunking, they never played college ball, but both had NBA 3pt. range and an excellent touch inside.

My point? These guys weren't super human, and not even college level ballplayers, but they've been able to maintain a serious amount of game through their mid-30's. If you think it's all over before you turn 19 years old, think again.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 08-09-2011 at 12:32 PM.

BEAST

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    If you think it's all over before you turn 19 years old, think again.

lol i would rep if i can.