Default I think the '14 Spurs were the best team since '86 Celtics

Better than '87 and '01 Lakers
    Better than '08 Celtics
    Or any other of the Spurs title teams

Top 5 team all time, at least the way they ended the season

Just that.

Default Re: I think the '14 Spurs were the best team since '86 Celtics

Then everyone said Golden State was better...it will continue

I would put them top 5...I can see some serious matchup problems with other teams. I think the Lakers beat them. Maybe even the Kobe lakers.
    Last edited by IGOTGAME; 08-19-2015 at 08:37 AM.

They pretty much faced bad defenses every round.

That Spurs team was so great, it nearly lost in the first round against Calderon Vince Carter Marion and Dalembert.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    Better than '87 and '01 Lakers
    Better than '08 Celtics
    Or any other of the Spurs title teams

Top 5 team all time, at least the way they ended the season

Just that.

Jun 2006

They looked invincible in the finals for sure.

Now im wondering if they can beat the 90's bulls.

This 2016 team is looking even more talented and deep than that one. And apparently Parker is back in 2013 shape and ginobili said thats he's motivated to win one last title before he hangs it up. But this is a new team and the competition has gotten tougher since then so we'll see what happens.

I'm normally not one for cutting down somebody's post in an offensive way.

But this thread may be the most ridiculous thing I've seen on the internet this (month?)....Was gonna say year...But there's some pretty ridiculous things out there....

I saw the '87 Lakers (and as a Bulls Fan, and also an 80's Celtics fan)....They were the greatest team I ever saw.....Saw both and I'd slightly take the '87 Lakers over the '86 Celtics....

Magic, who avg'd 24, 6, and 12 that year, Worthy, Kareem, Scoot, Cooper, Mychal Thompson......That is a legendary team, playing at their highest level.....

Secondly, you really think that Spurs team is a beating a PRIME Jordan team?....Scratch that, ALL 6 Jordan led Bulls teams?.....the 72-10 team?

GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by BIZARRO
    I'm normally not one for cutting down somebody's post in an offensive way.

But this thread may be the most ridiculous thing I've seen on the internet this (month?)....Was gonna say year...But there's some pretty ridiculous things out there....

I saw the '87 Lakers (and as a Bulls Fan, and also an 80's Celtics fan)....They were the greatest team I ever saw.....Saw both and I'd slightly take the '87 Lakers over the '86 Celtics....

Magic, who avg'd 24, 6, and 12 that year, Worthy, Kareem, Scoot, Cooper, Mychal Thompson......That is a legendary team, playing at their highest level.....

Secondly, you really think that Spurs team is a beating a PRIME Jordan team?....Scratch that, ALL 6 Jordan led Bulls teams?.....the 72-10 team?

GTFO.
    The '87 Lakers are overrated. They were a great team but not all-time great, not top-5 for sure. They had the easiest road to the Finals since NBA went to 4 rounds (beating 3 teams with combined records under .500 lol, then needed 6 games to beat a Celtics team decimated by injuries -the '86 Celtics would have swept the '87 Celtics). I honestly dont even think they were the best Lakers team; I think that the '85 and '01 teams were better, and a few other Lakers teams arguably better.

And yeah, I should have not overlooked the Bulls. In particular '92, '93, and '96 teams were epic.

Quote Originally Posted by StephHamann
    That Spurs team was so great, it nearly lost in the first round against Calderon Vince Carter Marion and Dalembert.
    Just because you get taken to a game 7, doesn't mean you almost lost a series. Especially since they won by 50 in game 7.

Ibaka being injured helped them more.

01' Lakers obliterated the 01' Spurs that were better then the 14' Spurs.
    Great logic OP.

Quote Originally Posted by West-Side
    01' Lakers obliterated the 01' Spurs that were better then the 14' Spurs.
    Great logic OP.

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    Just because you get taken to a game 7, doesn't mean you almost lost a series. Especially since they won by 50 in game 7.

Boxscore watcher detected. The Mavs had the lead in game 1 until the last few minutes could have easily won it.

Dejuan Blair got suspended in game 5 for a lousy reason. The Spurs had no answer for Blair in the series, with him game 5 might have gone the other way.

Game 7 was the only game the Spurs dominated, the other games were all close till the final minute.

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99

Agreed on that first point.

Blaming the Spurs for going 7 against Dallas that year pretty much takes all credit away from Dallas for playing a damn good series.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    The '87 Lakers are overrated. They were a great team but not all-time great, not top-5 for sure. They had the easiest road to the Finals since NBA went to 4 rounds (beating 3 teams with combined records under .500 lol, then needed 6 games to beat a Celtics team decimated by injuries -the '86 Celtics would have swept the '87 Celtics). I honestly dont even think they were the best Lakers team; I think that the '85 and '01 teams were better, and a few other Lakers teams arguably better.

And yeah, I should have not overlooked the Bulls. In particular '92, '93, and '96 teams were epic.
    65-17 during the r.s without even caring in the last 2 games (they could have matched the '86 Celtics' decade record if they did). Posted an SRS (which adjusts for strength of schedule) miles better than any other Showtime Lakers version. Magic at his peak, AC Green and Mychal Thompson would rest Kareem and Rambis. Bench had Thompson, Rambis, Cooper. All their core players, healthy. This team is easily an all-time great, regardless of who they faced in the playoffs. After all, last time I checked, the '86 Celtics didn't exactly match with powerhouses in the playoffs, either: 30 win Bulls (let's say, a 50% level team with Jordan, who scored 112 pts in his first 2 games against the Celtics), 50 win Atlanta, 57 win Milwaukee, which, however, played with an unready Moncrief in the playoffs (so, not the equivalent of a 57 win team) and a 51 win team in the Finals that they needed 6 games to beat. That's not necessarily in order to make a comparison to the Lakers' path (although the Lakers' SRS reveals they were dominant regardless of schedule), but on an all-time scale, their own playoff road wasn't exactly the stuff of legend, either.