Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Default Re: Wilt is the man.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat
    His athleticism reminds me of David Robinson, he's no more athletic than him. People like to put Wilt up on a pedestal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIkTMOwJsto&feature=fvst
    Wilt had a longer wingspan.
    Anyways, did DROB have the skills to avg 50 against scrubs?

DROB did get 70 points once but maybe yes this is the closest comparison, but could DROB do behind-the-back passes in transition?

I don't think so.

5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Why Wilt Chamberlain would dominate in today's game ! Bruce Blitz

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EpVZS26BUs

And yes, an OLD Wilt was outjumping a YOUNG Kareem.

And how about a 34 year old Wilt, at 300+ lbs, and on a surgically repaired knee...with a straight-up jump (no running start at all)...reaching the top of the square with his fingertips. Take a look at just past the 30:00 mark, and then they do a slow motion replay several times, including a couple just past the 31:00 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipl5DeHnMVI
    I don't get Wilt's incredible explosion. He routinely gets a similar height with this quick broad jump. And they weren't into stretching back then which adds about six inches to your quick jump and more explosion. Wilt rarely leaves his feet before the offender so his explosion is incredibly quick. His timing is also kind of eerie as he usually gets the ball just before the peak.
    Last edited by Pointguard; 12-05-2011 at 03:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    I don't get Wilt's incredible explosion. He routinely gets a similar height with this quick broad jump. And they weren't into stretching back then which adds about six inches to your quick jump and more explosion. Wilt rarely leaves his feet before the defender so his explosion is incredibly quick. His timing is also kind of eerie as he usually gets the ball just before the peak.
    could it be a fake? nahhh

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    I don't get Wilt's incredible explosion. He routinely gets a similar height with this quick broad jump. And they weren't into stretching back then which adds about six inches to your quick jump and more explosion. Wilt rarely leaves his feet before the defender so his explosion is incredibly quick. His timing is also kind of eerie as he usually gets the ball just before the peak.
    And it is all so effortless, too. Even the mulitple blocks on Kareem when he was 35, over 300 lbs, and jumping on a surgically repaired knee.

I used to get a kick out those "non-believers" that would find a YouTube block by Chamberlain, and in it, they would claim that, "see, Wilt's head is not even at the rim." Of course, what was so laughable, was that here was Chamberlain easily flicking the ball out of the air, with virtually no effort. I guess they wanted Wilt to block the shot with his head, or perhaps his chest (or maybe even some other body part.)

Saw a basketball once

[QUOTE=Legends66NBA7]"There is a common belief that Wilt was so good because he played in an era where there was no competition or size to compete with Wilt. I am going to show that Wilt would dominate in today

Quote Originally Posted by Raph12
    Of all the guys you just listed, only Lanier is close to Wilt's weight (275-300lbs), the next closest in weight was atleast 40lbs lighter.
    This wasn't me who wrote all that.

Cuba

And it is all so effortless, too. Even the mulitple blocks on Kareem when he was 35, over 300 lbs, and jumping on a surgically repaired knee.

I used to get a kick out those "non-believers" that would find a YouTube block by Chamberlain, and in it, they would claim that, "see, Wilt's head is not even at the rim." Of course, what was so laughable, was that here was Chamberlain easily flicking the ball out of the air, with virtually no effort. I guess they wanted Wilt to block the shot with his head, or perhaps his chest (or maybe even some other body part.)
    Since when was Wilt "over 300lbs" in his playing career?

According to that, 327lbs was the heaviest he had ever been, he was noticeably bigger and that was long after he was retired and weight lifting for a movie.

When he was on the Lakers he didn't look heavier than Bynum, who isn't even 300lbs.

5-time NBA All-Star

And what's really wild about those blocks is that Kareem's skyhook then, in the early 70's was less deliberate, more fluid off of his moves, and quicker on the release than the 80's skyhook. The later skyhook would have been timed a lot easier.

Meriden Journal - Sep 6, 1963

Below he slams over 6'9, 240 lb Zelmo Beaty.

Toldeo Blade - Nov 28, 1956

'It seems Wilt has an unorthodox method of shooting free throws. The big guy takes aim at the basket from several feet behind the line. Then he takes about three giant steps, leaves his feet before reaching the line, and stuffs the ball through the hoop.

Under the old rule, it was perfectly legal as Wilt never touched the floor before letting go of the ball. In addition his percentage was fantastic.

"Why, he would have had a free throw percentage of 100," said [Tex] Winter. "He never missed."

Incidentally the rules committee did not mention Chamberlain by name as a reason for the change. The rule change was made, according to the committee, "to prevent freak activity."
    '

The Miami News - Nov 7, 1962

'He can clean and jerk a 375-lb. weight, run the quarter mile in 47s, and high-jump over 6-11.'

Sports Illustrated - March 2, 1964

'The St. Louis Hawks' 6-foot-9, 240-pound Zelmo Beaty, for example, found out recently that he can no longer take Chamberlain's great strength for granted. Unable to slow Wilt down with conventional maltreatment, Beaty tried to yank his shorts off. Chamberlain, who can press 400 pounds without breathing hard, makes it a point to control his temper, primarily because he is genuinely afraid he might kill somebody. Beaty's unethical yank, however, was too much. Wilt flicked an arm, and Beaty flew across the floor like a man shot out of a cannon. Referee Mendy Rudolph rushed over to him and said: "For God's sake, stay down, man. Don't even twitch a muscle." Beaty didn't twitch, and he is still active in the NBA.'

The Evening Independent - Sep 15, 1966

'Chamberlain, like Brown, is a great athlete and seriously considered becoming a fighter a year and a half ago. Wilt and Jimmy have competed against each other in foot races and tests of strength.

"I'd rather fight Clay than Wilt," Brown said. "Chamberlain's too big and he's too strong, but I'm no fighter. I'm saving whatever fighting I've got to do for the Dirty Dozen."
    '

St. Petersburg Times - Feb 25, 1969

'Wilt Chamberlain is probably the first giant in history to be able to break 50 seconds in the 440, win a Big Eight high-jump title and be able to set a pick. In fact, he may not be a true giant. Medicine has taken the mystery out of gigantism. Most giants of the past were physical weaklings. Some were 90 percent legs. Wilt Chamberlain, by common consent, is the world's strongest man.'

He was even stronger during his later years in life.

The Evening Independent - Jan 6, 1967

"I'd bet you $1,000 I could lift 1,000 pounds," the 76ers singular 7-1 center said, "I have. I've also hand-wrestled two men at the same time and beat them. And there's nothing I'd like to do better than play pro football."

Ocala Star-Banner - Sep 17, 1975

'As inconspicuously as possible for a 7-foot 1-inch impresario, Wilt Chamberlain stopped by the New York Knicks' office for a quick social hello and now he was waiting for an elevator that would take him upstairs to the Madison Square Garden arena floor. When the elevator doors opened, Wilt stepped back as two husky workmen struggled to wheel a heavily loaded dolly into the corridor. On the dolly there were 10 big cartons of envelopes. For perhaps a minute the workmen pushed and pulled, trying to get the wheels of the dolly across the uneven gap between the elevator and the floor, huffing and puffing, they finally dropped their hands in frustration. "You look," Wilt said, "like you need a little help," His massive arms unencumbered by a chocolate sleeveless shirt, he reached down, grabbed the rope attached to the dolly and lifted the load into the corridor as if it had been a baby in a stroller. The workmen stared and thanked him. Wilt smiled, entered the elevator and the doors closed.

"I never saw anything like that," one of the workmen said. "These carton each weight about 80 pounds. This is an 800 pound load."

That's the approximate weight of four Knick teammates. And if Wilt were to join the Knicks for the approaching National Basketball Association season, he believes he could lift the team into contention with the Boston Celtics for the Atlantic Division title.'

There was a tale from John Havlicek on a physical confrontation Chamberlain had with NFL player and part time professional wrestler Big Daddy Lipscomb in the early 60's. It ended with Lipscomb on the floor and Chamberlain muttering, "Nobody messes with Wilt".

^
    Are you getting wet?

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    ^
    Are you getting wet?

^
    Are you getting wet?
    Take that crap to another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Take that crap to another thread.
    a 50+ man spreading his man juice about how "strong" Wilt is, is a little odd

a 50+ man spreading his man juice about how "strong" Wilt is, is a little odd
    He is spreading the legend.
    You have sex thoughts. hahaa