Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Chris Paul: The most overrated player

Quote Originally Posted by Inception28
    You don't have to be a great man defender to be a great defender. Kevin Garnett was never a good man defender, yet he is one of the greatest defensive players to ever play the game. Chris Paul's great defense like KG comes from his help defense. I've watched Chris Paul a lot in his career, so I know I am right here and you are wrong. I remember the same arguments people use to use that you are currently using about Chris Paul. And guess what? They were all Jazz fans trying to dismiss Chris Paul so they could prop up Deron Williams.
    they wouldn't need to do that considering deron williams crushes him head to head.

your point guard is your first line of defense. a point guard who cannot stay in front of his man puts a ton of pressure on the front line--which is why NOH always has great shot blockers to make up for his deficiencies. His making the defensive teams is a function of goodwill more so than his actual defensive ability. As I said, there are at least 10 starting point guards better than him at that end.

Quote Originally Posted by Inception28
    What is wrong with being ball-dominant? He is a PG, go ahead and name me a PG who isn't ball-dominant.
    Nothing wrong with being ball dominant if your a pg pretty much all are but its just hard to build a team around a guy thats ball dominant. Its the reason point gaurd lead teams don't win.

CP3 single handedly destroyed the Lakers during game 2(If I'm not mistaken) last playoffs.

Dude was beasting that time dropping pass to an open teammates and stealing the ball out of nowhere.

Too bad most of his teammates sucks big time.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by Ikill
    Nothing wrong with being ball dominant if your a pg pretty much all are but its just hard to build a team around a guy thats ball dominant. Its the reason point gaurd lead teams don't win.
    I agree that ball dominance usually isn't conducive to winning championships, but there is a bit of correlation versus causation scenario here. If a player is ball dominant because no one else on his team is talented enough to create for himself or others, then that team probably isn't talented enough to win a championship.

Personally, I think Paul's production would decrease if he were to go to a more talented team, but I do think he could be a major piece on a championship team. He is a good enough shooter to at least have something to do when the ball isn't in his hands.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by brisbaneman
    that will literally be the worst defensive team ever.

chris paul, carmelo anthony, and amare--holy shit. the 2 guard and center on that team would need to be defensive gods.
    Well, first of all it's also bound to be one of the best offensive teams ever, but also you're overstating how bad at defending these guys are. Paul is a pretty good team defender. I'm not going to pretend he's an excellent man defender outside of picking pockets, but there are very few PGs who keep their men in front of them anyway. Carmelo is actually a pretty good defender when he feels like it and isn't being lazy about switching. Amar'e sucks pretty much, but when he's really focusing on it he isn't a total liability on that end.

owwwww

Quote Originally Posted by brisbaneman
    He's a liability in the typical way--gambles on defense, can't stay in front of his man, etc very similar to iverson during his heyday---everyone knows the defense team voting is a joke. he's simply not a good defender and it's not like he's russell westbrook type who is a lock down defender but now has to focus on offense--he's just never been a good defender.

Local High School Star kenny817's Avatar

Joke topic? CP3 is hands down the best pg in the league...possibly top 5 overall player as well

Next Great White Hope QuebecBaller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kenny817
    Joke topic? CP3 is hands down the best pg in the league...possibly top 5 overall player as well
    He's been injured... and he never makes highlight flashy dunk, so he can't be a great pg

if CP3 is overrated then change the title to

Rajon Rondo: The most overrated player

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by CelticBaller
    if CP3 is overrated then change the title to

Rajon Rondo: The most overrated player
    Funny you say that because I think Rajon Rondo is pretty overrated even thought I'm a big Celtics fan. But I think this year his ratings fell back on earth. If you put Chris Paul on a good team, you will see how he's not that great as people make him out to be. You put Steve Nash on the hornets and he will give the hornets more wins. The Hornets have really good outside shooting, they won a bunch of games without Chris Paul. He is a system PG that is becoming way overrated, he will get exposed sooner or later, let's hope it's next year so you guys can get your mind straight.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Celtics4ever
    The Hornets have really good outside shooting, they won a bunch of games without Chris Paul. He is a system PG that is becoming way overrated, he will get exposed sooner or later, let's hope it's next year so you guys can get your mind straight.
    rofl I hope these two sentences are irony but I'm not really sure. The only reason the Hornets are in the top half of 3pt shooting teams is because CP shoots them so well himself. The only reason they are in the top 2/3 is because he gets them wide open looks even when he's hobbled. Bellinelli's solid shooting 3's but the rest are not 3pt shooters. THey won a lot of games without him? which ones? I seem to recall they fell apart completely the year he got injured, The year before that they won 49 with a team featuring a grand total of 2.5 players who made NBA rotations the following season (West, and Paul himself, with Rasual Butler occasionally getting burn on the Clippers)

which system? dominating the ball (and the game) like he did 07-09? setting his teammates up early to go to work and playing off the ball like he did effectively when he was recovering? crawling pace like the Hornets or up and down like in college or the Olympics where by the way he was the most underrated player on the team, playing his role perfectly. CP is anything but a system PG

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kenny817
    i think deron williams is better

Quote Originally Posted by RazorBaLade
    he does EVERYTHING for noh. he is amazing, hope he gets on a good team he'll easily be in running for t3 and win mvp(s).

think about what he does for that team.. every time someone scores its pretty much created by him

Thorton made plenty of buckets without CP3 and in the playoffs they had CP3 playing off guard at times.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celtics4ever
    The guy was good 3-4 years ago, but that was his peak. He's been a washout player ever since. He was really good, but now he is the king of the most overrated player in the NBA. He had a good series against the Lakers because he played against 50 year old Fisher. Even TJ Ford would look like MJ against Fisher. All he can do now is flop, and fake injuries. The guy is a failure. I see him as more of a role player, he can't lead a team by himself to the glory land. He is not in the same class as Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Durant, Rose and Dirk. Overrated. How are people putting him in the top 5?

Are you aware Paul suffered a pretty serious injury, which explains why he dropped off a bit in 2010 and 2011?

Are you aware that Paul in 08 and 09 had a top 5 elite PG season?

Are you aware that he didn't have much help this year and yet won two games against the Lakers, a much stacker team?

Paul can't lead a team like Rose? Wow.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by knicksman
    who cares? theres no pg anyways whos not overrated. In fact they won 4 mvps this decade but no rings. LOL While players like dirk, amare, bosh,howard gets constantly underrated. Small men are always overrated while big men underrated.
    PGs are always overrated? Even Kyle Lowry?

Amare is under rated? The dude who got paid same value (or near) as Lebron and Dirks? The guy who's been the best player on his own team for half a season (and that was a .500 team)? The guy who's notoriously bad on defense, nd got outrebounded by Lamar Odom significantly in the 2010 WCF?

ISH is seirously getting insane.